Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

I'm doing the UV maps in Blender, because of the easy unwrap. Baking maps with Xnormal, assembly and texturing in Max.

Last edited:
Can somebody fill me in on the limitations of MUGEN for this project? There aren't a whole lot honestly, but what minor details are we missing that would give away the fact that this isn't an official MK game, hard/soft screen transitions? (e.g., every screen in MUGEN might currently need a fade out even if the original game cut without one)

The ones I've run in to are custom game modes, menu screens, no coding on the select screen. Number limit on variables, no saving, no online, limit on special effects on screen, Some hard coded fighting game mechanics, limited stage coding options.

You can't check the order of the characters you will face in the future on a random enemy setting. It causes trouble for UMK3 ladder.

Can't use more than one sprite file per character = problems with high color sprites and alternate costumes.

no 3D effects

There are workarounds for some of these things, but you have to be clever to find ways of doing something that wasn't meant to be. You don't have total freedom.

Last edited:
You can't check the order of the characters you will face in the future on a random enemy setting. It causes trouble for UMK3 ladder.

That's what I was thinking about this morning... There is a way around it, but the result would cause the ladder to be static - meaning you'd play the same characters everytime in singleplayer. If we did go that route, we'd end up either cutting part of the roster out of arcade mode or forcing the ladder to be abnormally large in order to incorporate everyone.

I have faith that there may be another way to fix this.

Awesome work as always Bleed! I wish we could clone you, LOL.

Some progress on the normal map baking.

Raiden_normal_bake_wjp.jpg

Just a quick followup Q about the TYM blocks - wouldn't it be possible to simply mirror the sprites for P1/P2 side to account for the perspective? If not, then fine, it can't be helped.

some of the limitations are not a problem and can be solved, for example the battle plan. in this project we will have the exact different battle plans (there are 4 differents per character)

at this moment there are few "big" problems.
1) no coin/credits
2) you can't mix between arcade and vs mode (pressing start in arcade mode and start a vs fight)
3) variables resets after vs matches (i can make a rematch option to prevent this but you will fight in the same stage again and again)

if mugen some day add a way to set AILevel or enable/disable the AI then we can "fix" the problem number 2

Here is a little better version of Mr Kang for the select screen. I can make more anddo improvements. I worked in photoshop with it and this is what i came up with. Hope ya Like it

Attachments

• lu kang up grade.jpg
    lu kang up grade.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 184
It's a good try, even though some parts are sharper, the general look is too sloppy and the pixelated one still looks better IMO.

Reasons = The hair looks too flat and the colors look smudged / blurred. It's not a crisp render so it looks too messy.

You might try using a hard edge brush, with a low flow and opacity setting. When you paint, just build up the stroke layers and you'll get a sharper looking image. The blur tools and the air brush tend to give a muddy result.

That's how I used to paint when I started using Photoshop, using the air brush. Later I figured out the hard edge brush is nicer to paint with.

We are making the sprites from scratch though, not using or editing classic ones. The Select portraits are going to work with the 3D models, so they match with the rest of the character's sprites.

Last edited:
Yes you are right on all of your comments. I do wonder if the character pics taken originally for mk1 still exists but in better quality???
Here I have attached my shang in the thrown. Just for something to look at...

Attachments

• ShangTs.jpg
    ShangTs.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 168
If they still have the HD footage, It hasn't been leaked as far as I know. There are only a few pictures I've seen.

A sketch for tonight.

Scorpion_sketch_pull.jpg

I would like to see the original photos taken for the character select screen. We all know they exists, but when mk1 was created they had to Scale the dpi way down.

I think you could do some cool photo manipulations with higher resolution images. I'd use images that don't need to be scaled up, or if so only a little. You can scale it down and it'll look fine but scaling it up is a problem. It's missing a bunch of pixels / shading information. The computer has to guess at what was there by blurring it, which usually doesn't look too pretty.

No online mode ?? :( Can not be based only on the LAN? We will use Hamachi and ... I do not know exactly how things are but I'd like to have online mode .

Photo manipulations look bad for me, sorry .

Online mode isn't exist in this engine, you'll unable to play with remote friends. I think this thread already must have "Questions/Answers". Shang Tsung and Liu Kang (by project followers) both look horrible.

Can somebody fill me in on the limitations of MUGEN for this project? There aren't a whole lot honestly, but what minor details are we missing that would give away the fact that this isn't an official MK game, hard/soft screen transitions?
Can laziest guy download and check it himself?

Last edited: