Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

Console power is one thing holding them back, but I think it's also the artist's style. I mean, they can make their models a lot better than I can. They have a lot more experience, but maybe because of the style I use, it looks a little more realistic. My models aren't super detailed either.

I made an axe for UMK3 scorpion today...

That's not a real texture on it, I just painted it on top of the clean render in Photoshop. The actual texture would look something like that, minus the blood, unless I add it for a win pose or something.

scorpion-UMK3-axe.gif

Console power is one thing holding them back, but I think it's also the artist's style. I mean, they can make their models a lot better than I can. They have a lot more experience, but maybe because of the style I use, it looks a little more realistic. My models aren't super detailed either.

That's not a real texture on it, I just painted it on top of the clean render in Photoshop. The actual texture would look something like that, minus the blood, unless I add it for a win pose or something.

scorpion-UMK3-axe.gif

you have amazing talent my friend, everything looks AMAZING, I look foward to seeing this project unfold, I can't wait to see your Sub Zero model, and the detail on Scorpion's axe are unreal, keep up the great work guys, this is gonna be amazing.

Quick question.. for MKII's ninjas are you going to use the airsoft masks for the sprites now that there's enough resolution to show them properly?

Scorpionsmask.png

scorpion-UMK3-axe.gif

Speaking of which, is there any chance you could add damage to the characters? I know that's gonna add a lot of work (especially if this ends up spanning the all of the sprite-based games), but it's something to think about.

Did the axe, BTW.

I'll do their costumes as close as I can, so yes I would use the air soft mask as a guide.

Battle damage can be done, the same way you make Shang's morphs work in mugen. That is by having all of the damage levels for every single sprite in the same sprite file = .sff and have a variable that checks the life and sets a variable that will cause the correct sprites to show up.

Normal sprites

Damage level 1 sprites

Damage level 2 sprites

etc.

If life is 100 to 75%, play the normal sprites.

If life is 74 to 50% play the damage level 1 sprites.

If life is 49 to 0% play the damage level 2 sprites.

That's kind of the basic logic behind it, that's a ton of sprites though. To have that, I think we would have to scale the sprites to half size, to make up for the space the duplicate sprites would take. The problem would be in how long it takes to load a character. I think once it's loaded, it shouldn't be a problem.

Maybe Interloko would know better, I'm not an expert in mugen's guts.

there are 2 problems with the "damage" thing. file size and quantity of sprites. mugen takes longer to load files with more sprites even if it's smaller than others in size (MBs)

the damage thing can be done in diferent ways but has nothing to do in a mk hd remake :p

back on topic: nice work on scorpion!

there are 2 problems with the "damage" thing. file size and quantity of sprites. mugen takes longer to load files with more sprites even if it's smaller than others in size (MBs)

the damage thing can be done in diferent ways but has nothing to do in a mk hd remake :p

back on topic: nice work on scorpion!

It's just a thought and I only mentioned it because it's an addition that wouldn't actually affect gameplay. If it's too much (I know this is a hobby/spare time thing), so be it, but thought I'd throw it out there. :)

I wouldn't want damage if it means the sprites have to be a lot smaller\lower resolution. I'd rather have no damage like the original sprites and larger characters\HD. So please don't sacrifice that just to have a damage feature.

I don't want a repeat of the SNES with this... where the characters where smaller than in the arcade.

The idea is to use HD sprites. That's the point of this project.
we will not "sacrifice" the visual aspect of the game just to add a useless and mk1 unrelated thing.

I'll do their costumes as close as I can, so yes I would use the air soft mask as a guide.

Battle damage can be done, the same way you make Shang's morphs work in mugen. That is by having all of the damage levels for every single sprite in the same sprite file = .sff and have a variable that checks the life and sets a variable that will cause the correct sprites to show up.

Normal sprites

Damage level 1 sprites

Damage level 2 sprites

etc.

If life is 100 to 75%, play the normal sprites.

If life is 74 to 50% play the damage level 1 sprites.

If life is 49 to 0% play the damage level 2 sprites.

That's kind of the basic logic behind it, that's a ton of sprites though. To have that, I think we would have to scale the sprites to half size, to make up for the space the duplicate sprites would take. The problem would be in how long it takes to load a character. I think once it's loaded, it shouldn't be a problem.

Maybe Interloko would know better, I'm not an expert in mugen's guts.

Please do not add damages! We dont need it! Plus the original MKs didnt have them. Dont add that.

This game is going to be SICK.
But there's a problem.

I know what it feels like when games you are excited for are canceled. I have a feeling this project will be cancelled.

This game is going to be SICK.
But there's a problem.

I know what it feels like when games you are excited for are canceled. I have a feeling this project will be cancelled.

agreed, tho i hope you are wrong.
this just looks sick, gives me goose bumps just loking at the work done so far o_O
if only NRS would care as much as the fans do.

Great work and i hope it gets completed.

Awesome job guys. I hope this project (at least MK1) will be completed.

Couple of suggesions:
Liu Kang: add explosion uppercut effect to his Fatality, so it will look better and actually like Fatality, not 1 more special move.

Bosses and Reptile: it was never in the original game, but it will be really cool if you can add 1 fatality for each: Shang Tsung - soul steal, Goro - limb rip, Reptile - tongue lash. Also it will be cool if player can finish Goro and Reptile if he win and shadows always fly on The Pit moon.

Kano specials commands: don't know about you guys but i nevel liked his inputs in this game, especially when it comes to cannonball and keyboard. Will really like to see them simplified like:
knife throw - b,f, blk, cannonball - b,f,d (if you hold d you will roll in the one place, just like in original game)

Pause menu: also never was in the original game, due to nobody will hit pause button on arcade when he pay for his game time. Just 3 options in pause menu: resume, move list (i believe some guys who don't know special moves and finishers should also want to play this game) and quit.

P.S. Don't waste your time on damage system - too many work here = bigger chance this project will never be completed.

Awesome job guys. I hope this project (at least MK1) will be completed.

Couple of suggesions:
Liu Kang: add explosion uppercut effect to his Fatality, so it will look better and actually like Fatality, not 1 more special move.

Bosses and Reptile: it was never in the original game, but it will be really cool if you can add 1 fatality for each: Shang Tsung - soul steal, Goro - limb rip, Reptile - tongue lash. Also it will be cool if player can finish Goro and Reptile if he win and shadows always fly on The Pit moon.

Kano specials commands: don't know about you guys but i nevel liked his inputs in this game, especially when it comes to cannonball and keyboard. Will really like to see them simplified like:
knife throw - b,f, blk, cannonball - b,f,d (if you hold d you will roll in the one place, just like in original game)

Pause menu: also never was in the original game, due to nobody will hit pause button on arcade when he pay for his game time. Just 3 options in pause menu: resume, move list (i believe some guys who don't know special moves and finishers should also want to play this game) and quit.

P.S. Don't waste your time on damage system - too many work here = bigger chance this project will never be completed.

I agree with everything you said. It would be nice to have simple commands for specials moves also hitting 3 buttons to slide with sub zero on a key board is going to be a hassle having the MK9 inputs for special moves would be cool.

thanks for the comments, We are not going to waste our time on extra staff, the plan is make a MK1 with HD graphics, nothing extra.

Well, slide input is different thing - it's not hard (it is really easy in fact), but some keyboards can't accept more than 3 buttons commands and slide give you 4 at the same time, so i will like to see it simplified because of this, just cut one of buttons from input, like make it b+blk+LK instead of b+blk+LK+LP.

As far as palletes goes, i think you guys can make them better than in the original, where some characters just use darker colors:
xqelh7fr.png

4 palletes per character is for 2 on 2 modes if you should decide to make them.

1 more thing: In original MK1 when you jump over your opponent you can't attack them with punch or kick cause the character will not turn around like in MK2 and MK3. Maybe change it? It will not affect gameplay much but will be a nice touch.

Actually, having turning jump kicks would drastically change the gameplay because pressuring would be greatly increased and combo options would be different. Scorpion would dominate even more if he could easily catch someone with a jump kick to Spear just by jumping over them. It doesn't work the same when you're jumping at them since there are a lot of options for countering.

Also, the damage idea should be nixed. Too much work and too many other problems like people mentioned.

Is not about hard work, It's about this project is a MK1 in HD not a update of the MK1 game play.

SO NO EXTRA OR NEW STAFF IN THE GAME.

sorry guys but from the start of the project we decided make a MK1 in HD without modifications.