Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

Hey all, just want to apologize for my lack of involvement this month. Had to keep away from this project since I needed to fulfill other commitments. Anyway I'll be sure to update with my final work asap, and give feedback on all the recent progress once I take a good look at it. From what I've seen just quickly, the Courtyard is looking great, monks look great, very solid job Calactyte.

Gotta say I'm just as excited as ever about this project, I'll be back soon after I get some things out of the way. Keep at it guys :)

Hey all, just want to apologize for my lack of involvement this month. Had to keep away from this project since I needed to fulfill other commitments. Anyway I'll be sure to update with my final work asap, and give feedback on all the recent progress once I take a good look at it. From what I've seen just quickly, the Courtyard is looking great, monks look great, very solid job Calactyte.

Gotta say I'm just as excited as ever about this project, I'll be back soon after I get some things out of the way. Keep at it guys :)

Say, you should give many thoughts about adding a BBLM version of this MK1 project since it will not only cover the classic hits, but allow more fan work input into this project, especially Justin Slaughter's fantastic MK tracks. It makes me feel like I should just hold back. Just my feeling about this project.

Small update

I'm modeling the details in to the character instead of using just the normal map. Trying a different style with this one, high poly.

Raiden_topo_01.jpg

So what? It's not like you paid them to work faster.

would that work tho ? :)) I mean we can start a donation system if it helps the project moving faster:p jk guys slow is good, wish we could get more update post tho .. so we can actually see what u guys are doing step by step ... this way it makes the wait easier :)

IMO i don't think we are slowed, we have almost all the stages done and half of the cast of characters in progress or ready to animate

we don't need a donation system to move faster, we need more 3D artists or at least 3D animators.
Bleed is doing a GREAT job, but remember he is making the 3D modeling and animations for this and for his own project all in his free time.
this project contain some nostalgia but rushing the game as midway made in the time is not part of this
the priority here is quality

Yes I'm with Interloko on this. I think the project is moving along rather quickly actually. We've got 4 tracks of music mostly remade, 80% of all the UI screens done. 90% of all the stages done. Goro is built, 70% in progress, Raiden will be built within the next few weeks, Scorp, Reptile and Subzero are almost complete by default. Almost forgot that Demonseed has Sonya in the works.

I love the progress we've made since middle of October 2011. I mean in less than 3 months we've gone from .2% completion to something closer to 25-30% complete. That is insane progress for something like this.

My goal is the offload as much work from Bleeds shoulders as possible since he is responsible for so much of the work required to have this project completed. Interloko has the other lion's share of the workload. So I'm focusing on Test Your Might next. Then I'm going to work on projectiles. Finally I'll work on Fatalities.

IMO i don't think we are slowed, we have almost all the stages done and half of the cast of characters in progress or ready to animate

we don't need a donation system to move faster, we need more 3D artists or at least 3D animators.
Bleed is doing a GREAT job, but remember he is making the 3D modeling and animations for this and for his own project all in his free time.
this project contain some nostalgia but rushing the game as midway made in the time is not part of this
the priority here is quality

I would like to get started modeling something - not quite sure what yet - but the past/next couple of weeks are extremely busy with work.

As I mentioned before, I'd love to help out with animation. I'm really only (haflway) decent with the animation tools in Maya, though, and I would really like to learn more about the rigging process and animation in Max - Bleed, do you know of any helpful tutorials/resources off hand? From what I've seen of your stuff on Youtube the way you usually have stuff set up for animation looks really awesome, and I'd love to learn how to do it in a similar way. I know kind of the basics of using IK and control objects in Maya, but I've pretty much only scratched the surface, and wouldn't exactly say I'm confident in anything more advanced than using IK to keep feet flat on the ground, and the like.

I'm not using a complicated rig for this project, I posted one before on youtube that was pretty intricate, but you don't really need it. What I'm using now is the default biped skeleton with a few extra bones added to control the costume. I use it to fake cloth simulation and fix clipping errors.

For Raiden's rig I'm going to use the new rigging system in Max called "Cat". I haven't worked with it before, but it looks pretty good, similar to Biped with more options.

Didn't Goro need rigging? I can show you some things if you need help. It's not so complicated if you work with one of the pre made systems like Biped or Cat. They work great for what we are doing, making a custom rig from scratch is complicated and not really necessary IMO.

I'm not using a complicated rig for this project, I posted one before on youtube that was pretty intricate, but you don't really need it. What I'm using now is the default biped skeleton with a few extra bones added to control the costume. I use it to fake cloth simulation and fix clipping errors.

For Raiden's rig I'm going to use the new rigging system in Max called "Cat". I haven't worked with it before, but it looks pretty good, similar to Biped with more options.

Didn't Goro need rigging? I can show you some things if you need help. It's not so complicated if you work with one of the pre made systems like Biped or Cat. They work great for what we are doing, making a custom rig from scratch is complicated and not really necessary IMO.

I have some experience with CAT, I think you'll find that you like it much more than Biped. I'm just not a great character animator yet. I think I understand the principles of it, but I have questions about how you setup your rigs too Bleed. How are you able to not lose volume in shoulders? That is always a problem for me. Also are you using SkinMorph to keep the skin from deforming improperly?
It is one of the main reasons I never do character animation. I technically know how to do it but it never looks quite right. There must be a trick to either the skin weighting processor or by using a modifier to fix all that stuff.

I have some experience with CAT, I think you'll find that you like it much more than Biped. I'm just not a great character animator yet. I think I understand the principles of it, but I have questions about how you setup your rigs too Bleed. How are you able to not lose volume in shoulders? That is always a problem for me. Also are you using SkinMorph to keep the skin from deforming improperly?
It is one of the main reasons I never do character animation. I technically know how to do it but it never looks quite right. There must be a trick to either the skin weighting processor or by using a modifier to fix all that stuff.

Dammit. I love rigging and hate SkinMorphing, too. Rigging is frustrating, but it's awesome when you get it to work. Could never get morphing to work right, tho. :(

I'm not saying you can't use a custom rig, if that's your thing then go for it. I find skinning pretty easy and rigging more of a chore. I just need two twist bones on the upper arms and two on the fore arms.
IK / FK blend for the arms and legs is a must.

For the shoulders, I use twist bones. Biped has an option to add these, and that fixes the candy wrapper problem with twisting limbs.

Another thing you can use is the skin morph, but I don't use it that often, I get pretty close with just the twist bones and painting weights. I'll leave Skin morph for extra details like bulging biceps or if there is a problem area I can't fix with the regular methods.

Topology helps too, edge loops in the right places and enough of them will give you some decent results.

Bone placement is another thing, moving it a little can make a big difference, in the shoulders and hip joints mainly.

If I have the time and I think it'll work, I don't mind passing the models back and forth. If you love rigging, do that and I or someone else can handle the skinning.

Last edited: