Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

That's one problem I'm having, It's kind of hard to make the transitions look smooth when keeping the original timing and pose of UMK3 sprites.

Some times it has to be so fast, there's like 1 or 2 frames of transition from one pose to the next. Other times, the animation gets kind of slow. Keeping the timing messes with the feel of squash and stretch. I just can't make it look as good as I could if I match everything exactly. These things require some changes to get a better flow and feel.

Another thing is you notice changes in animation more with added frames. I really noticed that with the hit animations, it snaps a lot but I never saw it on the low res sprites.

It looks good to me, man. I know I'd play the shit out of it!

What's your goal with that project? Are you just messing around with stuff or do you plan on making the rest of the UMK cast or something entirely new?

It's for keeping my art in practice and just to see what I come up with. I'm not trying to make a full game, I just like to develop their fighting styles. I generally work on a character till it feels good playing as them and move to another. Eventually there will be enough to make a game, but it's not a real priority.

[edit]
I updated the transition from the combo HK to the combo Round house. It looks closer to a jackknife kick, he stays in the air during the transition from HK to RH. His torso kind of stays in the same place longer, so it looks like a smoother / centralised spin.

I'll probably change the Combo HK later, because it does still look kinda funny.

Last edited:
Thank you.

And it does deviate from the original arrangement as the piece progresses. I did give a disclaimer when I originally posted it. Copying the original piece verbatim wasn't my intention.

Per Jiggeh's comments about how bright the monks bald heads were looking, I've significantly reduced the light, which reduces the contrast. Can't tell if it is making it look more muddy or not. I'm personally happy with it now.

Also I fixed the heads of the dragon reliefs in the background.

http://www.jtresca.com/test/courtyard.html

calactyte, looks great. the only thing i will like you try to fix is the shadows on the hands and neck.

The shadows on the human skin never is too strong.

About the form of the monks, they are pretty good but i think the shoulders are to straight.

The monks look a little better, but I do think they're too dark still. They need some ambient light, so that the shadows aren't so black, I think.

I should have an update this week for Raiden, I'm re doing the hat right now. I don't like the way it came out before, so I'm actually weaving it for real, so I can bake a normal map or use it like that. Hopefully it'll come out nice, we'll see...

I should have an update this week for Raiden, I'm re doing the hat right now. I don't like the way it came out before, so I'm actually weaving it for real, so I can bake a normal map or use it like that. Hopefully it'll come out nice, we'll see...

Cool I guess you mean you will build a tileable normal map from out of Zbrush then? You don't intend to actually weave each piece of straw in the shape of a hat right?

Yes and I did it already, I tried sculpting it also but it just doesn't look right.

Weaving it is the biggest pain in the ass, but It's looking the most realistic so far.

I made the pattern flat and formed it in to a cone using the Free Form Deformers.

[edit]

I'll start on the body now.

Raiden_Hat.jpg

Last edited:
That looks much better than your previous attempt, Bleed. Glad to see you're not afraid to redo stuff until it looks right. :)