Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

I just signed up to TRMK to say great work guys!! Some amazing stuff that i've seen here so far.

This is exactly what the MK team should have done for a HD version of the old games. 3D models give the option to recreate the visuals and moves almost perfectly, something that a re-shoot would never be able to accomplish. Sad that it takes fans to do the old games justice, but it may be a better option as you know the fans will do it properly.

I just hope that it's seen to it's conclusion. I've followed many fan remakes of games and so many end up being disbanded and forgotten.

I played around with M.U.G.E.N. a long time ago, it was a great learning experience with some of the coding and sprite creation. I wish I could help out but I don't think i've got the skills. Although if there is some grunt work to be done i'll be happy to do that.

Keep it up guys :)

The rim of the hat is not textured yet.

Raiden_Hat01.jpg

You know that one guy that just has to chime in and say something negative about everything when no one asked for his opinion in the first place? It's my own fault really, for not staying logged in.

Anyway as far as Raiden goes, he's turning out to be pretty awesome. I don't think the hat is that big of an issue, as you can see the differences between MK1 Raiden and what they were planning to use with MK1HD Raiden: http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/7/71181/1836877-endscreen2_mk1.png

I think we'll be fine either way, but I can obviously understand the desire to stay closer to the original.

I think it will be helpful when it has more pronounced bump mapping/displacement/normal mapping. It's looking slightly flat to me. I agree that the checker pattern is a bit too pronounced.

Thanks la_luna, I was looking for a pick of that hat all over and couldn't find it, the weaving pattern I mean.

This is the reason for the high contrast checker.

mk1flyer01.jpg

Oh I see..hmm I guess they used two different hats? Maybe one for closeups and one for in game? Seeing this pic makes me feel like you have it right after all. Still could use more pronounced bump mapping to we see the weaving better.

Thanks la_luna, I was looking for a pick of that hat all over and couldn't find it, the weaving pattern I mean.

This is the reason for the high contrast checker.

mk1flyer01.jpg

Oh I see..hmm I guess they used two different hats? Maybe one for closeups and one for in game? Seeing this pic makes me feel like you have it right after all. Still could use more pronounced bump mapping to we see the weaving better.

About the checker pattern on the hat, this is from the game:

Select screen:
kajnly.jpg

Test Your Might:
dy260x.jpg
5tz7m8.jpg

That's the original size plus double upscaled next to it.

Hmm, on select screen it looks very much like that promotional poster posted earlier.
But on TYM it's more like the photo I posted. If it's not too much trouble, do both and
see which looks better (or fits better with the rest of the model) overall.

Who would've thought, so much discussion about the hat :)

Consider this....Its a fact that the actors were all re-colored with the same color palette that were used to color the backgrounds. This explains why the costumes didnt look cheesy. Not because they were using old cameras that coudlnt produce HD graphics. So obviously the in game graphics are altered compared to the real life untouched photos that you are all comparing with.....

Just a bit of info.

Not only where the source videos low res and blurry but they also lacked colors and they had to pretty much colorize it like when they colorize a black and white film. The in-game hat could have had the same pattern but it was washed away by the camera and post processing done by the ones editing the sprites. Just like with the quilted pattern on the ninja vests. That's in addition to having to use a certain palette anyway in the game. With MKII and 3 they could afford better cameras.

@la_luna: Oh hey I didn't notice this before.. nice MK1 style Reptile fatality sprite you have there. :) That's how I imagined his fatality could be only it'd be in HD here. :p

Last edited:
Ok so check out the Monks animation here.

I also improved everything we talked about:

Deepened the shadows on the Yin Yang
Fixed the perspective of the side columns
fixed the texture of the walking/fighting area
fixed the totems on the left and right hand side
fixed the sizing of the stage.

I know that the Monks all look alike, but this was how it was in the original. To make each face different would take quite a bit more effort than I'm ready for right now so they are all clones, though I did make their animation staggered a bit. Also Flash is freezing the frame with their hand in the air, but the full animation has them but their hands back down after clapping. Anyway,

click here to see the result: http://www.jtresca.com/test/courtyard.html

here is a still:

url]

Ok so check out the Monks animation here.

I also improved everything we talked about:

Deepened the shadows on the Yin Yang
Fixed the perspective of the side columns
fixed the texture of the walking/fighting area
fixed the totems on the left and right hand side
fixed the sizing of the stage.

I know that the Monks all look alike, but this was how it was in the original. To make each face different would take quite a bit more effort than I'm ready for right now so they are all clones, though I did make their animation staggered a bit. Also Flash is freezing the frame with their hand in the air, but the full animation has them but their hands back down after clapping. Anyway,

click here to see the result: http://www.jtresca.com/test/courtyard.html

here is a still:

url]

A bit creepy, but I like it. Is it possible to stagger the animation a bit more? Also, those guards. They need an update. :p

EDIT:

You have inspired me to whip up a version of the Courtyard's Theme! This is probably my favorite stage ever, after all. :)

Last edited:
Yeah It's creepy but if you look at the original, the people look like Aliens. It make me wonder if they were meant to be human even..LOL

A bit creepy, but I like it. Is it possible to stagger the animation a bit more? Also, those guards. They need an update. :p

EDIT:

You have inspired me to whip up a version of the Courtyard's Theme! This is probably my favorite stage ever, after all. :)