Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

Looks fantastic!!! Can't wait to see the remaining two screens :)

Thought I'd post this quickly since it was brought up.

sshddemo.png

This is pretty much the final, I just need to touch up the windows. Same texture's used for all other screens minus battle and versus. My best result at matching the original in HD, and also upscale-friendly unlike the last one. Overall I think it's pronounced enough to look good, but subtle enough to draw focus to the main elements instead of to itself.

Anyway everything's basically done for everything, I'll also post the in-game screen later today as I need to talk a bit about it.

Good work Jarvis! I approve. Didn't think it would look organic enough, but it works!

EDIT:

I thought I might try adding a subtle drop shadow to the player currently selected and I kind of like the results. This is just a quick mockup to illustrate the idea and surely would look a lot better with the proper animation. What do you guys think?

sshddemoedit.png

Last edited:
Look's not bad, but text "Free Play" isn't needed. Game will be without Coins anyways.
Shadows looks out of place, I think.. Also you can't add them here in MUGEN.)_<

Sorry Justin,

The drop shadow looks out of place. I don't mind the words "free play" even though they aren't needed, it is something that would be present on the original arcade if set in that mode.

Thanks for the kind words guys. About the shadows - I was assuming the sprites would have the same ground shadow as they have in the stages. That's how it is in the original too. The character does looks out of place without it, so if the shadow can't be added there, I might modify the screen somehow so the sprites look more natural standing in it.

Le@n, the Free Play is obviously just for the charm and filling up space.

Ohhhhh. There ARE shadows in the original version. I knew something was missing. haha

If the engine doesn't support shadows at the character select screen, couldn't you just have a special standing animation sprite with the shadow included only for use in this instance?

Last edited:
My thoughts exactly Justin. Just need to check with interloko on loading times.
Ohhhhh. There ARE shadows in the original version. I knew something was missing. haha

If the engine doesn't support shadows at the character select screen, couldn't you just have a special standing animation sprite with the shadow included only for use in this instance?

couldn't you just have a special standing animation sprite with the shadow included
They can, but it will be not transparent.

Free Play is obviously just for the charm and filling up space.
If you also want to keep score over lifebars with similar reason will be very funny.

Last edited:
I'm telling you, that ignore button comes in real handy.

Another vote to keep Free Play. Personally, I'd like as few indicators as possible that this isn't an actual arcade game even if the items in question don't function. Who knows, I might add this to one of my original MK cabinets.

If you also want to keep score over lifebars with similar reason will be very funny.

We are, and Interloko already has them working.

I'm telling you, that ignore button comes in real handy.

Another vote to keep Free Play. Personally, I'd like as few indicators as possible that this isn't an actual arcade game even if the items in question don't function. Who knows, I might add this to one of my original MK cabinets.

I agree, this is a remake of an arcade game after all, so I'd like to keep as much of that arcade feel intact. It's another reason why, for example, I chose to use the same bright, flashing colors for text - the original was designed that way to attract people to the machines.

I can render the select screen sprites with shadows on the same image or as separate layers. The shadows in MK1 are solid black, so they don't need to be transparent. If they did, you could still get the effect by creating the shadow with part of the background texture on it, mix it in Photoshop. That way, it looks like there is transparency in the game, when there really isn't.

IMO it would be pointless to use this with an SD Cabinet. But if one wants to do that they are free to.. it'd be better to make a new 720p widescreen HD arcade cabinet for it.

I can render the select screen sprites with shadows on the same image or as separate layers. The shadows in MK1 are solid black, so they don't need to be transparent. If they did, you could still get the effect by creating the shadow with part of the background texture on it, mix it in Photoshop. That way, it looks like there is transparency in the game, when there really isn't.

Great idea Bleed, that would work well. For the sake of simplicity, I think just the solid black shadow will be good enough. If it still looks odd then we could try mixing it with the background afterwards.

They can't be soft everywhere, only precise. Why can't you check engine capabilities before posting (regard to crew members also)? This topic had enough pointless ideas only because many visitors never seen MUGEN, it sucks I must say.

Last edited: