Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

mugen is windows ONLY right now. the linux version is very very old.
i know some ppl played it on mac with some windows emulation app
we will use the latest version.

smoke.tetsu, about the gameplay the answer is YES. the gameplay can be the same to the original or we can create new moves like crouch Low kick/low punch
it was just an example (adding crouch LK/LP), no one is saying we will add these moves.
and you are right you wasn't asking to make mk1 like umk3, it was like mk2
maybe we will add something (not sure), but i'm sure we will not add a "?" in battle plan. the idea is the game have the same feeling as original and the "?" thing is completly mk2.

Having a ? on the battle plan was also just an example.. you could do that other ways if you wanted to add in Ermac as a secret character it doesn't HAVE to be a ? on the battle plan. For another example you could just have it on a certain background just like with Reptile or as an award for breaking diamond on test your might or something... a lot of possibilities. Another possibilty would be to have him share the way you access Reptile only have Ermac challenge you every third time or randomly instead of Reptile or something.

Point is you don't have to slavishly stick to only what's in the original and I wouldn't complain if you did but I just see some opportunity here that's all.

BTW, what people have used to play MUGEN on Mac isn't emulation btw it's a implementation of windows APIs for Mac/Linux... and on OS X can be used to wrap the game into self contained .app files that behave much like if the game was ported to the OS. That's what I'm going to be doing at least for myself as I have a lot of experience with it. I only bring this up because someone asked for a Mac version and I just wanted to make them aware there is an alternative even if MUGEN never gets compiled completely native to the Mac. And like I said I could even offer unofficial self contained wrapped builds giving all credit to the original authors or simply even just instructions on how to roll your own. If the original authors are completely against this that's fine as well. I'll just keep my wrapped versions completely to myself. I've wrapped PC fighting games before like Guilty Gear series and played them with joystick on the Mac btw.

You wouldn't have to do anything in regards to that by the way. Nor would you have to support it.

Last edited:
Hmm.. just Mac as only Mac has support for making something like that.. self contained application files like I'm describing (the .app software bundle structure is unique to OS X). Linux is a totally different beast and doesn't have an equivalent to it. Also I don't use Linux at least not full time on the desktop anyway. ;) WINE on Linux is used quite differently.

Anyway as soon as this project is ready to go I'll be looking into what can be done for Mac users at least with wrapping software like I have been talking about. :)

Last edited:
I don't have a pc anymore, only a macbook, that would be cool if you can make it run on mac without having to download a bunch of apps, cause I suck with computers lol.

Good people of TRMK, please know that this is an MK1 HD Remake. We are most likely not going to add anything or make any rumors about MK1 true (i.e. Ermac, Liu Kang's lung rip fatality, etc). We are keeping it as faithful to the original as possible. Thank you for understanding. :)

That's awesome to hear.

I think MK's engine was just fine. I mean, I didn't mind the little tweaks they added for MKII like turnaround kicks, but I think they totally ruined it with MK3 adding the dial-a-combos and run button, so THANK YOU for not going there with those features!!!!!

I think making a faithful HD recreation of MK is a great idea. If everyone likes it and you had a great time making it and want to continue, you can always make MKII and MK3 later.

I'm also curious to know, will gameplay be like MK1, or you add run, combos, some new moves, dynamics, to feel it like MK3 or close to it:)

I know that too many peoples want extra staff in the game but this will not be a Updated remake, this will be a remake. Same to MK1 but with better graphics, no extra staff. our goal is make a MK1HD so we are working in this, nothing extra.

BTW, any news about Mortal Gojira model?

Im finish soon all the UI so im moving to the lifebars, and text staff.

I spent a bit of time working on Daniel's likeness, never mind the ears I know they are messed up. You can tell me what looks off in the face.

DP_likeness_01.jpg

Looks good so far.. you'll be able to do his facial expressions to I take it? That's something I've been wondering about in general actually.

I'd be glad to help out with any artwork than needs to be done. I can do 3D and Photoshop.
I'd probably only be able to do small things like affects and stuff.

I can do facial expressions pretty easy, there are a couple ways. One is with bones used to control the facial muscles and the other is with morphing, a combination is best.

You can also combine that with animated textures, like the normal map for facial wrinkles or to make the abs flex when they throw a kick, breathing heavily, etc.

[edit]

Skin added

ScorpMK1_wip18.jpg

Last edited:
Bleed, you make my day everyday I come to this thread!

I can do facial expressions pretty easy, there are a couple ways. One is with bones used to control the facial muscles and the other is with morphing, a combination is best.

You can also combine that with animated textures, like the normal map for facial wrinkles or to make the abs flex when they throw a kick, breathing heavily, etc.

[edit]

Skin added

ScorpMK1_wip18.jpg

Incradable. IMO, he looks better than MK9' MK1 ninjas.
Anyway, as i always was against 3D in MK, the way you create these i love very much. It's true that in real-time rendering (MKDA-MK9) it's impossible to use very detalized models cause everything must be fast... but if you render sprites, you spend your time for render only once, that's why you can detalize it however you want. That's why I believe, rendered 3D sprites can look much better than real 3D games (maybe, even no worse than real actors!), and absolutely support this Project:)