Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

I made the animations based off of a pre-made Liu Kang. I didn't use a template. Maybe I should use one, but I want to figure out why it is an invalid state. The animations are all labeled properly. Pre Jump is STate 40, jump is state 41 and the flips follow as states 42 and 43.

If mugen can't find a state it's because it's missing. If you are using a template character from a custom game like MKP, it won't work right on regular mugen. That may be your problem, with missing/invalid states.

Mugen's default jump states are this.

statedef 40 = pre jump

statedef 50 = in air, changes direction based on what you were holding. UB, U or UF

statedef 52 = Land from jump

statedef 41 to 43 should't be there, unless you are making custom states.

If you want, send me the file and I'll see what's going on. The best thing to do when learning mugen, is to use Kung Fu Man as your base. Change the sprites basically and alter the code for his moves little by little.

Trying to make a character from zero is going to be too confusing.

Last edited:
I think Raiden could use some weight gain :) and something about his pants looks a bit off
to me. Not quite sure, maybe they're not baggy enough or maybe it's the part where they
meet the bandages on the lower part of the legs. Here's some screens from MAME:

sw8ioo.jpg
2cmuj2v.jpg

2en428y.jpg

As for the hat, maybe you can try to tilt it back and see how it looks, like so:

32zug7c.jpg

Like I said a million times before, great job man.

Your rips just horrible.. Bleed don't need check them really, because have all MK1 sprites.
Lol, I snapped them from Mame, JUST to make clear which part of the model/sprite
I'm talking about to avoid possible confusion. It's pretty obvious and I did it before,
and for that matter they're enough. I'm sure Bleed has better source, he's probably
not making models out of his head.

edit:
nevermind

Bleed, I think the likeness is good enough. With textures in place it should be even closer. His face is going to be partially obscured though, so the risk of him looking too "off" isn't too great either way, I think. He definitely looks close enough for you not to have to continue if you're not enjoying it or expecting to improve.

I think the body sculpt needs quite a bit of work, though. The folds in the cloth look too random, both in terms of placement and thickness. Generally I think the folds should be thicker and more angular, with thinner folds (=more layers overlapping, not thin ridges across largely flat surfaces) reserved to areas like the elbows and knees where the fabric would be more scrunched together. THIS is obviously not a perfect example since you can tell that the uniform was just unfolded for the first time, but it ought to give you some idea of what I'm talking about at least. Also the sash looks especially random - I would expect it to look more like this or this.

I think the clothes could use more volume, as well. The top looks almost fused together with the pants, and the sash is hardly affecting the silhouette at all. Even if the top is not extremely billowing, there still needs to be enough fabric above the sash for his upper body and arms to move freely - but more importantly, it looks less boring. :)

Also, the black collar may be throwing me off, but the transitions between jacket -> collar -> undershirt... thing looks pretty flat. It should be obvious that he is wearing several layers of clothing, and not some weird karate hoodie. The fact that some of the creases seem to travel from one layer of fabric to the other is certainly not helping either. You can't really tell from the sprites, but looking at the flyer with Raiden and Kano you can tell that the collar is standing up behind the neck, like so, but in your picture it looks like he has a much wider, flatter collar. The hood itself is also rather confusing. It seems to behave very differently around the head/neck than it does around the chest. On a final note, I think the wrappings on his wrist should go further down, covering the wrists entirely, like in the flyer. I'm not sure if it's 100% accurate to how Carlos wore them in the game, but just looking at the model it looks ever so slightly awkward.

Last edited:
agree with Jiggeh on the raiden model. looks good technically but stylistically it could be better. silhouette, and as jiggeh said, more angular and bigger folds rather than many small ones.

To all people who have come to this project and are a great part of this community of fans:
Including: Bleed, Interloko, Jarvis, Smoke.Tetsu, and TerryMasters:

I hope you do not take MUGENKombat's comments seriously. It was completely rude of him to say what he said. You have all contributed to this project in some way, whether it was critique, helpful suggestions, or full on characters, backgrounds, and animations. We can certainly make many fans happy by completing this project, as long as it takes.

what a ****ing joke. These guys are just jumping on the bandwagon because bleed's artwork is awesome.

Have you ever heard the saying, "If you have nothing nice to say, don't say it." Nobody is asking you to stay here and talk about this project. Having this game done does not help nor hurt you, so just lay off.

To all people who have come to this project and are a great part of this community of fans:
Including: Bleed, Interloko, Jarvis, Smoke.Tetsu, and TerryMasters:

I hope you do not take MUGENKombat's comments seriously. It was completely rude of him to say what he said. You have all contributed to this project in some way, whether it was critique, helpful suggestions, or full on characters, backgrounds, and animations. We can certainly make many fans happy by completing this project, as long as it takes.

I saw what he said, but this more than made up for it. Thanks man, I think I speak for all of us when I say this means a lot. :)

Whoa MikeyMK! Liu Kang is missing almost every move, it's no wonder he can't do anything.

I got him to jump by changing the common1.cns location in the .def file.

The one you were using is all encrypted and wasn't doing anything.

If you change the location in your .def file for the common1.cns.

Character\common1.cns

to

common1.cns

It will read the common1 from mugen's default data folder. So if you change that, he'll jump and stuff but he's missing so many things, I think you are better off learning with KFM.

If you are making a character for MKP, then use an MKP character that is already working correctly. If not, then use KFM for regular mugen.

MKP's code is very different from the standard mugen set up, so you can't cross characters from one system to the other without having a ton of errors come up.

Yeah, I was making him from scratch, so I did almost nothing yet. But thank you, now it works.
Honestly, I'm not really making this for any project like MKP. I'm just trying out programming with MUGEN and seeing what I can do, just for fun. What are the differences between MKP and regular MUGEN anyway?
And is MK HD using regular MUGEN?

Great work guys! Loving all your work so far. Also as far as Raiden's hat is concerned, I'm thinking it is a straw hat which may explain the square like patterns we are seeing on the rips. A slight straw like criss cross pattern would be a nice detail to add I think. Anyways Good luck guys, keep up the amazing work.:)