Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

With all respect for the mods, I don't think it was fair for this thread to get locked due to a heated discussion, and I can't help but feel that a warning would've sufficed. I understand you guys were appointed to moderate the forum, and I think you do a good job, but in this case it can have a negative impact on the people working on the project, should they need to discuss things with each other. I know it wasn't locked for long but the fact that it can doesn't sit well with me. I believe the majority of members have maintained respect between each other, and proven we can settle disputes on our own, which is admirable for a thread of this size and nature. I can appreciate the help but TBH I feel we are okay without it.

Anyway, if you guys feel the same, at this point I'd once again like to bring up the idea of having our own forum. If that happens, I think it'd be a good idea to have a General Discussion thread seperate from the work thread, where people could debate any relevant topics they like without them interfering in the discussion of the actual work. We could also have a Project Overview thread, with brief specifications of the project, sample versions of everyone's work, and a list of what is being worked on by whom. I feel that will definitely help out anyone who would like to contribue, they'll know what contributions we need to help this along, and who they can work with on them. No one will have to backtrack through hundreds of pages to find what they're looking for.

I have good ideas on how to set it all up and still keep it comfortable like we are here, and I think there'd be many benefits, so please let me know your thoughts once again. If this went ahead, we could simply ask to have this thread locked with a re-direction link to our own forum, to make the transition smoother for anyone following the game. I don't believe we need to remain on TRMK for this to remain a MK community project.

Last edited:
With all respect for the mods, I don't think it was fair for this thread to get locked due to a heated discussion, and I can't help but feel that a warning would've sufficed. I understand you guys were appointed to moderate the forum, and I think you do a good job, but in this case it can have a negative impact on the people working on the project, should they need to discuss things with each other. I know it wasn't locked for long but the fact that it can doesn't sit well with me. I believe the majority of members have maintained respect between each other, and proven we can settle disputes on our own, which is admirable for a thread of this size and nature. I can appreciate the help but TBH I feel we are okay without it.

Anyway, if you guys feel the same, at this point I'd once again like to bring up the idea of having our own forum. If that happens, I think it'd be a good idea to have a General Discussion thread seperate from the work thread, where people could debate any relevant topics they like without them interfering in the discussion of the actual work. We could also have a Project Overview thread, with brief specifications of the project, sample versions of everyone's work, and a list of what is being worked on by whom. I feel that will definitely help out anyone who would like to contribue, they'll know what contributions we need to help this along, and who they can work with on them. No one will have to backtrack through hundreds of pages to find what they're looking for.

I have good ideas on how to set it all up and still keep it comfortable like we are here, and I think there'd be many benefits, so please let me know your thoughts once again. If this went ahead, we could simply ask to have this thread locked with a re-direction link to our own forum, to make the transition smoother for anyone following the game. I don't believe we need to remain on TRMK for this to remain a MK community project.

I agree with Jarvis on both points. It's strange to think that someone outside the project can put us all effectively in a "Time-out." And with every page that is added to this thread the more difficult it gets to see what's going on. My opinion is that this thread has served its purpose well but is no longer appropriate.

I'm completely behind MKHD finding its own home.

Hey b,b,b,lp....love your signature!!

Thank you.
And I fully agree with yours :laugh:

I'm saddened to see that you guys are abandoning this thread, but I do understand.
It would be greatly appreciated if one of you dropped by every once in a while with milestone updates :)

I think one of the biggest MUGENKombat problems is that :
Code:
Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN
Started :  09-08-2011
and
Code:
Replies: 2,602
Views: 159,134
It's immense popularity, a huge numbers for such a short time. Obviously He can not accept that this project is not in his sites, forums which are for Mortal Kombat Mugen projects.

Last edited:
I agree with Jarvis on both points. It's strange to think that someone outside the project can put us all effectively in a "Time-out." And with every page that is added to this thread the more difficult it gets to see what's going on. My opinion is that this thread has served its purpose well but is no longer appropriate.

I'm completely behind MKHD finding its own home.

Well that makes two of us so far, haha. It depends on what everyone wants though, I won't push for doing it if everyone is 100% comfortable here. They were last time I brought it up and still could be. But I do think it can make it hard for someone new to enter the project with such a huge thread to catch up on, and I know indeed some people have actually resorted to skimming through it all. I wouldn't personally, that'd be a headache.

So yeah I wouldn't say we're abandoning thread just yet bbblp. Also I hope the mods understand what I was trying to say and that it didn't come across the wrong way, basically I have no problem with you guys doing your thing, you have a right to of course, I just hope it never affects the project itself.

Also...159,134 views? I never noticed that before. I'm stunned.

Some harsh criticism for a change from me,

1st mistake is thinking you can get gameplay close to MK1 Arcade. If MUGEN has taught us anything over the years, you can't. In a tiny game like MK1, all you have is the gameplay. The art may be stunning, but its still MUGEN. Your going to alienate "Pro Gamers" with it. Ive been around MK MUGEN a loooong time, and I can tell you, NO ONE has gotten close to MK Gameplay AT ALL, Including Interloko. Bleeds chars are even farther from MK, more like tekken. I dont know that he has ever even attempted to make something MK Arcade like.

2nd mistake is thinking 5+ TRMK members is MK Kommunty. If "MK Fans" have taught us anything over the years, alot of them are boneheads. epecially at TRMK. With threads like My Little Pony, etc. I wonder why bleed ever stopped posting at MKMP or somewhere similar. You alienated MK MUGEN fans when you left and came here, where they typically shun MUGEN. calling this a Kommunity project sounds kind of stupid. its a TRMK project.

3rd mistake is dividing fanbase by saying for MK fans not MUGEN fans. Good thing this is a fan game, cause in real life that would cost you money. Bro, I get what your saying, but it came out pretty much predjudice sounding. Again, its like spitting in the face of the "kommunity" thing.

As for the quote unquote 'MK Fans' here. They kind of make me sick. Alot of them say 'our' project... or 'we' should..... Cmon, they arent doing anything but commenting!! yet they act like they have some ownership. Some TRMK members have been very intelligent and respectful, but as of recent its gotten pretty bad. even going so far as to say its closedsource and ppl are whinning. I aksed interloko and he answered probably, i envited a discussion about pros vs cons, TRMK members just started saying its closed and thats how it is. They no longer sound intelligent, but more like noobs in the community. Its sad to see that they already have FIREBOY mentality and have never done anything to the MK MUGEN community, that as far as i can tell, just fell in their lap.

Im pretty much done following this game, as my sole purpose was to try and unite some MK fans and some MK MUGEN fans, Hey its what I do. I could care less if its moleboxed or not, as i dont edit or make shit for mugen, I was the ONE player of mugen in our community. I was really only trying to give good ideas and opinions, to help this game for the better. No one is going to REPLAY a MUGEN MK1 Remake.

*Sniff* *Sniff* I smell beef here ! !

C'mon guys! Chill out! Don't let this beef be cooked. . I'm afraid that this beef might lead to the end of this thread . . I don't want that to happen . . :'<

B.t.w. Hey B,B,L,P Cool signature! Pennywise used to scared the shitty soul outta me before. . hahaha! :D

Yeap :)
159 134 For three and a half months
45 467 for month
1 515 for day
I guess :marchmellow: Cool .
This is a good incentive for the guys who work on the project . Go ahead, we are with you :cheers:

Last edited:
Well that makes two of us so far, haha. It depends on what everyone wants though, I won't push for doing it if everyone is 100% comfortable here. They were last time I brought it up and still could be. But I do think it can make it hard for someone new to enter the project with such a huge thread to catch up on, and I know indeed some people have actually resorted to skimming through it all. I wouldn't personally, that'd be a headache.

So yeah I wouldn't say we're abandoning thread just yet bbblp. Also I hope the mods understand what I was trying to say and that it didn't come across the wrong way, basically I have no problem with you guys doing your thing, you have a right to of course, I just hope it never affects the project itself.

Of course. Only if it's what everyone wants.

Did you have any specific alternatives in mind? Even if this does stay the primary thread, a "Site B" might be a good idea. Just in case this one is ever unavailable.

Last edited:
I'm not letting a disagreement stop our progress. As we get closer to reaching the goal, you will notice more and more of this. The biggest issue I have with changing threads is right now everyone knows where to find us. Also I really like TRMK. Even though I wasn't a member until recently, I've lurked this forum for years. This was also the place that originally broke the news of a MKHD being made and subsequently cancelled.

Of course. Only if it's what everyone wants.

Did you have any specific alternatives in mind? Even if this does stay the primary thread, a "Site B" might be a good idea. Just in case this one is ever unavailable.

I'm not letting a disagreement stop our progress. As we get closer to reaching the goal, you will notice more and more of this. The biggest issue I have with changing threads is right now everyone knows where to find us. Also I really like TRMK. Even though I wasn't a member until recently, I've lurked this forum for years. This was also the place that originally broke the news of a MKHD being made and subsequently cancelled.

Well like I said, if we were to move I think we could have this thread locked with the last post containing the re-direction link. So if that's the biggest issue for you then that's a good solution IMO. I like TRMK too and have been a member for ages, I just feel we could be more organized, more focused, and make it easier for people to contribute, if we had our own forum. Just my opinion, I'm fine to stay here but I feel we are missing out on the benefits of having our own place.

Otherwise another alternative is perhaps asking for our own sub-forum here, so we could have a General Progress thread, General Discussion thread, and Project Overview thread. Also a non-public Bug-Testing thread later. But that's probably asking for too much.

Anyway I leave it to you guys to decide what you want to do, I hope you consider my suggestions.

Last edited:
@MUGENKombat: do you know who is Shock? do you know who is MKK_Hanzo?
Both are beast at UMK3 and you know what? they have seen my actual umk3 engine and both said it's incredible awesome.
I'm using umk3 data riped by Fly, so it's accurate if it's well implemented.

About my MK2: Shadows of the Past I'm not sure what version you've tested. I've worked on corner pushback in alpha 4 i think.
Maybe you just saw the video of the selfclaimed "god of mugen" FIREBOY which was made with my alpha 1 (when alpha 4 was available a year ago) and bad intentions, just to talk $hit about my work.

About this project I said it the first day: the gameplay is imposible the be the same as MK1. We are using diferent (and more) sprites and the colision boxes won't be the same, so the gameplay even without any coding is already changed.
We use widescreen = another gameplay change and we know it, that's why we are talking about making it as close as posible, not exact as arcade game.

About this project I said it the first day: the gameplay is imposible the be the same as MK1. We are using diferent (and more) sprites and the colision boxes won't be the same, so the gameplay even without any coding is already changed.
We use widescreen = another gameplay change and we know it, that's why we are talking about making it as close as posible, not exact as arcade game.

Since you brought the gameplay topic up Interloko, I was wondering, how difficult would it be for you to make invisible walls to confine the characters to the arcade space? I think it'd really help to get the game a bit closer. I know it has been done before, but I've never played it like that so I don't know how it would look/feel. What do you think about it? My feeling is it could work, and we could have a similar game even in 16:9. It'd be great if you could try it.

Another piece:

trelace_test.jpg

I agree with most of that, actually. I don't feel like a lock was the right reaction given the magnitude of this thread, and I've personally tried to remain as hands-off as possible with it, but when posts get reported and we're asked to intervene (as was the case here), we really have to take a second look and make a quick decision.

If you guys continue to use this topic as a project headquarters of sorts, however, we should probably have a discussion behind the scenes and come to a conclusion about how to deal with things like this, since as long as it's a part of the forum, the main rules still apply (namely no insults/flame wars, etc.). I'm also curious as to how Pat, Jeff and the rest of the staff would feel about giving you a specific sub-forum for this, 'cause I think it would be a pretty good idea as this continues to expand.

I agree with most of that, actually. I don't feel like a lock was the right reaction given the magnitude of this thread, and I've personally tried to remain as hands-off as possible with it, but when posts get reported and we're asked to intervene (as was the case here), we really have to take a second look and make a quick decision.

If you guys continue to use this topic as a project headquarters of sorts, however, we should probably have a discussion behind the scenes and come to a conclusion about how to deal with things like this, since as long as it's a part of the forum, the main rules still apply (namely no insults/flame wars, etc.). I'm also curious as to how Pat, Jeff and the rest of the staff would feel about giving you a specific sub-forum for this, 'cause I think it would be a pretty good idea as this continues to expand.

I'm happy to hear there's an understanding between us. As for how to deal with heated disputes, I don't think we need a special set of rules or anything, personally I'd fine with no locks (even if temporary) and trusting us to handle most problems as you guys mostly have already. Unless it's something that obviously needs a mod to step in of course.

I think having a sub-forum here would be a perfect compromise, for anyone that wants to stay here and for anyone who wants to get more organized. Just AFAIK it's never been done for a fan-game before at TRMK, so I hadn't thought much about it. If you think it's possible, and these guys agree with it, I'll ask about whether we could set that up. Seems like a good choice to me.

@jarvis653: i'll try to explain it and i hope you understand me, my english is devolving XD
making the invisible walls imply use some tricks for moving the camera and limit where the character can move. maybe this can cause some bugs or strange things happening.
the scorpion's teleport is just an example. when he is out of the screen is when he appears at the other side. if you make the teleport at the stage limit you won't be allowed to appears the other side. adding inivisible walls will require some extra coding and may cause conflicts/bugs with some special moves, etc.
IMO is unnecesary, we know the gameplay won't be the same. maybe we can tweak the X velocity for this kind of moves and compensate the extra width

@calactyte: I really like the pillar but the dragon and this last prop doesn't impress me much. maybe because I'm not watching right now the stage, or maybe because your other works were so HIGH quality ;)
Anyway, the last one looks so flat for me.

@Bleed: WOW! I know it's very preliminary but when I see it I can see Carlos Pesina's face. You made the eye's expressions very well

Since you brought the gameplay topic up Interloko, I was wondering, how difficult would it be for you to make invisible walls to confine the characters to the arcade space? I think it'd really help to get the game a bit closer. I know it has been done before, but I've never played it like that so I don't know how it would look/feel. What do you think about it? My feeling is it could work, and we could have a similar game even in 16:9. It'd be great if you could try it.

I'd like to see how it'd play without it before condemning not having invisible walls and having a slightly wider (compared to the almost 16:10 aspect it had before) as being show stoppingly game changing in a negative way. I think it's only people's fears that it may not work gameplay-wise that are the biggest deal when it comes to widescreen. Besides even with invisible walls the character would still have to traverse the extra space when for example Scorpion does his teleport which is the one thing that would mostly be affected. About that I was thinking the same way as Interloko that if nessasary one could tweak the velocity to compensate for the extra width although again it's not that much more than the OPR so it may not be necessary to do it or perhaps only a little bit.

Another piece:

trelace_test.jpg

I think this lacks texture and dimensionality to it. I think it'd be better made as a 3D model with textures and matching the look and feel of the rest of the stages. The trelace should I think look like it's made of iron and painted... the small ones in the palace gate sort of look this way in your remake and have a nice three dimensional look to them. Also this is for the courtyard, no? Shouldn't it be red? The middle barry part is supposed to match the other piece that's also reused in the palace gates looking at the original sprites. I mean look at this page where it shows them next to each other:

http://mkw.mortalkombatonline.com/mk1/arenas/thecourtyard/

BTW, I didn't like having too much push back in the corner as it prevented me from going crazy with juggles especially in MK2 although I understand that it's probably part of the feel of the game.

Last edited: