Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

I should have another update later today for MK1 scorp, I'm making some animations for UMK3 scorpion at the moment.

PM: How I learned about making 3D art work.

I got a Bachelor's degree of fine art at the American Academy of Art. That's where I learned traditional drawing, painting, anatomy... A little bit of computers, and just barely scratched 3D. I probably would have gone to a different school, like Gnomon because I didn't even know how to turn on a computer at the time I made my decision.

Most of what I know about 3D was self taught and by searching for tutorials and help online. I have a lot of training DVDs from thegnomonworkshop, CGAcademy and eat3D.

Basically I grab info from where ever I find something that'll help me learn, but those are some of the best training sites I know of.

Last edited:
I don't think a moves list is necessary. There are plenty of those available everywhere anyway.

I don't know if you guys want to stay completely true to the arcade, or throw in an Easter egg or two, but if you want to add, I'd like to respectfully suggest something:

I don't know if this was a national phenomenon, or just a regional one, but I worked at an arcade at the time MK was out. A lot of people speculated that since the screen does not go dark on Liu Kang's fatality, that he had another one, a "true" one. I heard on multiple occasions that Liu's "true" fatality was that he pulled your lungs out.

Of course, we know that this was never in the game. I totally don't think you should go adding a bunch of ridiculous things to the game and making every rumor true, but the lung pull rumor was hugely consistent and I think it would make a really cool addition just if you felt like adding anything "extra" to the game.

I've just recently been following this thread maby like 4 weeks ago, and from what i've seen this Project is going to be a huge success no doubt about it. Insane 3D work. Map remakes in HD looks superb. Now im ready for a UMK3:HD! :D

This one looks a little stiff to me still, I think the head needs to snap back faster, but it's matching the MK timing pretty close, and it looks good in the game. I get a little jolt watching it play in mugen :p

scorp_umk3_3d_get-hit-high.gif

I got the face mask done and baked the normal map for it, moving on to the skin. I think that's it for the retopo work, and I can start coloring.

This one looks a little stiff to me still, I think the head needs to snap back faster, but it's matching the MK timing pretty close, and it looks good in the game. I get a little jolt watching it play in mugen :p

scorp_umk3_3d_get-hit-high.gif

I got the face mask done and baked the normal map for it, moving on to the skin. I think that's it for the retopo work, and I can start coloring.

ViTal wants to test what you've done so far :L

I'll probably post a link for UMK3 scorpion once I get the basic animations in. I made a lot of custom moves for my own play style which is a separate mode you select from a menu. That's going to take a while to cover, but I can post the basic version in the mean time.

I can use the same animations for MK1 Scorpion till the real ones get made. It's a good thing about 3D, I can share animations between models.

Thats good, mk1 2 and 3 share almost all the basic animations, uppercut, high and low punch, roundhouse kick, etc, specially mk1 and 2 its all basically the same, mk3 gets more complicated with the combos but thats a distant battle i guess.

smoke.tetsu, about the gameplay the answer is YES. the gameplay can be the same to the original or we can create new moves like crouch Low kick/low punch

Last edited:
Having them be able to do crouching LP\LK probably wouldn't be too bad and having MK1 play a little more like MKII might actually be pretty nice\interesting. And speaking for myself as long as we are talking about changing around some things.... some things could be changed compared to the original arcade and I would be fine with it like giving Reptile his own set of moves similar to MKII rather than borrowing his moves from Scorpion and Sub-zero. I'd be fine with that. Although I guess he's just going to be the same way he was in the actual arcade after reading that it would be easy to alternate his fighting stance like was done in the arcade version? I was just thinking that since apparently animations are going to be shared between versions it would be possible to make Reptile have his moves from MKII in MK1.... or Ermac if you decide to put him as a proper secret character.

Speaking of which in MK1 I'd keep those secret characters as secret and not choosable.... at least not without a code. Also in the MK1 remake I wouldn't put any other secret characters as for example Noob Saibot doesn't appear because he is in the tournament as Sub-zero in the story... and other secret characters like Skarlet or Jade don't appear because the base character they are based on doesn't appear until MKII.

Speaking of Ermac I'm imagining what could be put in to access him. Like putting in a ? on the ladder right before the endurance matches and have the player do a certain thing like only use a certain button kind of like accessing Jade in MKII. Or perhaps fight Ermac if you break a certain material in test your might or something like that.... and of course have him drop in before the match and give clues.

I just think it'd be interesting to see aspects of the game a little more fleshed out and not as recycled as it was originally.

Hell, you could even fix some of the aspects that where lacking like the characters remaining standing when decapitated in MK3\UMK3... and make the bodies quiver and fall down like in MK2. I also wouldn't mind if the limbs in UMK3 when exploded weren't artificial ones and had the more natural looking guts\limbs\bones that where in MKII.

Some of those decisions where made because of lack of space on the ROMs to do better or lack of resources with the hardware back then... which obviously aren't an issue today.

Although, when I say gameplay I was thinking more of how they jump, the way they react when hit, the "physics" if it can be called that. Many MUGEN projects also seem to be overdone in the gameplay department in my opinion. But if the same attention to detail is paid to the gameplay as what is being done for that UMK3 Scorpion sprite remake it should be great.

Last edited:
The real heavy lifting with this project is building the models and creating the specifics of the engine, right?

What I'm saying is once all of that is done, would it be overly complicated to create a menu system that allows players to select how they want to play?

I mean, like, could there be a menu that says I want to play MK, but I want to play with MKII rules? Or, I want to play MKII, but I want to have Kano in it?

I'm just wondering so this project can satisfy as many people as possible.....because you know, no matter what you do, there are always going to be people complaining/asking for things.

Personally, I'm just happy you are doing it! I can be a bit of a prick with what I expect from NRS because they are professional programmers and trying to sell a product for a profit. Since this is a labor of love and will be free, I don't think anybody has a right to complain about anything.

I bet you guys get this thing up and running before MKAK even gets a proper patch.

smoke.tetsu & Cyndrix, a lot of things can be done for this game but the main idea is a mk1 hd remake.
the answer to your questions is in Cyndrix's post

I'm just wondering so this project can satisfy as many people as possible.....because you know, no matter what you do, there are always going to be people complaining/asking for things.

i prefer people asking for stuff than people complaining why mk1 hd is looking more like umk3 than mk1

Edit:
Make it playable on Mac!
sorry, windows only.

sorry, windows only.

Yeah unfortunatly MUGEN is only compiled for Windows and Linux although it's probably possible to compile it for Mac too although I haven't heard of anyone doing it. Most of the people running it on Mac are doing it via crossover or some other WINE variant. When the complete version comes out it'll be highly likely that it'll be possible to at least wrap it up in WINE and make a self contained application bundle out of that. I've done that with a few games even high profile demanding ones like Crysis.

If the authors don't mind I could even offer a download for those who don't want to arse themselves with configuring an app bundle themselves. Of course you'd probably want to do a disclaimer like these are unofficial versions, use at your own risk, etc. if not then I'll just keep it to myself.

BTW before you write off my ideas at least give them some careful thought as I feel they are pretty valid especially considering the amount of animation sharing you'll be doing.... and also I'm not really asking to make MK1 like UMK3 (I don't think you should put dial-a-combos or a run function basically) but since you opened up the can of worms by saying you may add in crouching LP and LK I just felt like a couple of other things may be good ideas too... and since you are doing some revising fixing a few things that weren't so great to start out with might be nice too.... like I always hated the way the corpses in UMK3\MK3 stayed standing up when decapitated versus the nice animation where the bodies fell to the ground in MKII.

Of course you are also free to make it as you wish and for better or worse do everything exactly the same as the original however I figured I'd throw out some ideas so for example MK1 HD could be the definitive version that would have probably been done if they had the tech\resources back in the day. Sometimes corners where cut back then that don't need to be cut today.... like making Reptile have Scorpion and Sub-zero's moves in MK1.

Last edited: