Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

I'd say make the sky either darker or make it overcast.
That super bright blue makes everything look like a MS paint scratch up.

Just trying to help :)

Ok is this better? I've added atmosphere to the Temple, and the background mountains.

TEMPLE_SHRINE(2).jpg

Calactyte, I feel that with the final addition of the original dragons, all the background elements are perfect now (with the exception of the mountains that will be replaced anyway). The only thing I'd change is the column flame, which should be smaller IMO to increase the depth in the stage. Other than that, I don't think any more parts of the stage need changes.

However, the biggest issue with this stage I feel has always been and still is the color/lighting/tone. I know that you consider realism boring, and I'm not sure what to make of that actually. I understand you might want a more surreal look, but realism can certainly be just as exciting. I honestly think we need more balance between realism and surrealism - ideally, it should look like a spectacular photo IMO. At the moment though, and I hope I'm not being too harsh, the stage looks both very odd to me and not what I'd expect in an MK game either. And while the original was composited and has its flaws, its style is definitely not as extreme as this version. It still has a balance that I can't find here.

The main issue for me is that, regardless of style, the different elements don't seem to match. To give a few examples - the color of the sky and the color of the clouds don't match each other or the stage, the contrast of the buddha looks like it's been stripped away leaving a flat image which doesn't match the elements around it, and the path still looks like it's from an overcast day despite all other elements suggesting the opposite.

Anyway, I know this is difficult work and I know how much time you've put into it - like I said, the background designs look complete to me, but unfortunately the color or tone of the stage is not the end result I'd like to see. If I were in your position, I'd take a break from this stage and work on Courtyard instead, then come back to this one with fresh eyes. I always find that helpful personally and you might too.

Otherwise, I have suggested before that I'd love to have a try at your PSD and show you my interpretation of it - I hope you don't take offense to this, and I can understand being protective of work. But I thought I'd bring this up again in case you were willing to allow me to experiment with it. Please let me know your thoughts on this, thanks.

Last edited:
Bricks is definetely the wrong choise. If the road have sand on the one side, the sand must be on another - simple logic.

Hi Jarvis,

I'm totally cool with giving you my file. I think I've been looking at this too long now as you said. My only concern, is that things are piling up on your plate now. (BTW, check your gmail account, I sent you the updated text for the Battle/VS screen.

You are at this point responsible for all:

-All the music production
-the remaining UI elements (new life bar text) / scoreboard elements (you should have the PSDs tell me if you don't)
-completion of the remaining battle screen imagery
-color grading this stage and the next one.

Can you give an update on how close you are with these tasks? I'm sure someone in the community here can help out if you need it. The stage will be in your email shortly.

I think it's starting to be too much.

Calactyte, thanks for your understanding and allowing me to edit your work, I admire your attitude towards this project.

To address any concerns about me involved in too many parts of the project, I can see it from that angle but the reality is that much of my work has and will continue to be helped along by other people. In some cases they may end up doing most of it. I see my role as just contributing in any way I know how to, whether that's creating things myself, helping out on things or putting things together.

For example your contributions to the UI, including title screen, fonts, in-game graphics, badge - that's cut a lot of my work down and I'm grateful for it. The same thing is happening in other areas, with Grid composing all the music, Justin helping me on sounds etc.
So I'm confident I can handle it all, but if there's something I feel could be done better and more efficiently than I can, I'll definitely ask for help on it.

As for an update, the UI work is very close to being finalized, particularly now that you've sent me the redrawn battle text. I've basically made new (but similar) versions of all the screens to ensure better quality and more likeness to the original. A lot of what's left is tedious stuff, like text correction and things to do with the function of the UI rather than graphics. You guys will get to see it all soon. I'm actually looking forward to having that all out of the way so I can freely move on to the other sections I'm involved in.

Last edited:
Ok man, reach out if you need help. I'm on to the next stage. I wonder how Badmouse is doing with the new version of Goro's Lair and the Temple Shrine. Also I wonder how Gojira has faired with Goro. Everyone is doing great so far, it would suck if we stop progressing because people get bored/frustrated with the project. I guess that's my main fear even though it's pretty much out of my control.

Calactyte, thanks for your understanding and allowing me to edit your work, I admire your attitude towards this project.

To address any concerns about me involved in too many parts of the project, I can see it from that angle but the reality is that much of my work has and will continue to be helped along by other people. In some cases they may end up doing most of it. I see my role as just contributing in any way I know how to, whether that's creating things myself, helping out on things or putting things together.

For example your contributions to the UI, including title screen, fonts, in-game graphics, badge - that's cut a lot of my work down and I'm grateful for it. The same thing is happening in other areas, with Grid composing all the music, Justin helping me on sounds etc.
So I'm confident I can handle it all, but if there's something I feel could be done better and more efficiently than I can, I'll definitely ask for help on it.

As for an update, the UI work is very close to being finalized, particularly now that you've sent me the redrawn battle text. I've basically made new (but similar) versions of all the screens to ensure better quality and more likeness to the original. A lot of what's left is tedious stuff, like text correction and things to do with the function of the UI rather than graphics. You guys will get to see it all soon. I'm actually looking forward to having that all out of the way so I can freely move on to the other sections I'm involved in.

Ok man, reach out if you need help. I'm on to the next stage. I wonder how Badmouse is doing with the new version of Goro's Lair and the Temple Shrine. Also I wonder how Gojira has faired with Goro. Everyone is doing great so far, it would suck if we stop progressing because people get bored/frustrated with the project. I guess that's my main fear even though it's pretty much out of my control.

Yeah I know what you mean, it'd be such a shame if progress died off. I'm sure it's fine though, and those guys are probably just quietly working on it. Badmouse's new Lair looked great to me, it just needed lighting, and I vaguely remember his Shrine from earlier in the thread which I think was looking good too.
Although keep in mind that stage can't be fully finished until all the models are, since the statues need to be created from the models.

Anyway keep at it guys, this project is turning out awesome. Just think of how great it'll be to relive MK1 in HD when it's all done.

I'm guessing Subzero would be immediate future, next since its just a color swap and resting stance edit..if we don't count his fatality. If Cage is inspiring him, I'd say Bleed should do that next.

You'll do Cage next? Hmmm? I think you should do Kano before Cage. I think Kano is lot harder to make than JC, coz of the face plate, and swapping the position of it . .

People have lives outside of hobby and internet activities - especially at this time of year. I wouldn't worry about people seemingly dropping off the face of the Earth for a week or two, and I certainly wouldn't take it as a sign of trouble. Everyone involved will put in the time and effort that they're willing and able to put in, and that'll naturally vary a lot between not just individuals but also with time. Some people will just be very preoccupied at certain times, that just comes with the territory with this sort of project.

Yeah, we can't do everything at once. Every once in a while we need to take care of some other things but it doesn't mean we are giving up, far from it.

As for Cage, it's just the first name that came to mind. The other ninjas are first, then Cage because I have part of him made already.

I just got distracted with programming, I actually starting making stuff work and once I get that feeling it's hard to stop.
I'm like Holy Shit it's working!!!

Now I wanna add this detail and that detail, and I get stuck on it...

Last edited:
No, you must pay 100€ before download. >_<
Catalyst could resize MK1 statues and check difference.
I done his work anyways.. Here's just example, how it must looks).
8d346ad25751.png