Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

We are working on it here but this project should be representative of the community, not of just one site of the community. What about the MK mugen sites for instance, which also have relevance to this project? I think just Kommunity Edition or something like that is fine, it brings everyone together.

Hmmmm . . ? Then I'll go w/ Kommunity Edition . . Or MK: Mugen Legion . . ? (nah! lame!) MK: Forum Edition? Mortal Kombat: In our own vision (sucks) . . . can't think of any community names . .

Does anyone else think that the original portraits were a bit compositionally unsound? With a few subtle nudges of the characters in their portraits the whole thing feels a lot better.

I whipped up a mockup with a select screen from early in the thread and Bleed's graphics to illustrate. Whatcha think?

selectscreenmockup.png

Last edited:
Does anyone else think that the original portraits were a bit compositionally unsound? With a few subtle nudges of the characters in their portraits the whole thing feels a lot better.

I whipped up a mockup with a select screen from early in the thread and Bleed's graphics to illustrate. Whatcha think?

selectscreenmockup.png

I don't see a problem with how they are in the original, and since the MK1 select screen is very iconic, I think it's important the avatars are replicated as close as can be. This one has the characters too cropped and close-up IMO.

Indeed, it was just a mockup. The thing I was trying to say was that basic portrait "rules" such as trying to fill the frame with the subject and keeping the eyeline in the top third of the image really weren't observed in the original. A nudge or two wouldn't take away from any iconic-ness IMO. They don't have to be as close as I showed them though.

I realize this isn't that big of a deal. Perhaps the awkward portraits are part of the charm?

Edit
selectscreenmockup2.png

Last edited:
I think just Kommunity Edition or something like that is fine, it brings everyone together.
Agree, it was best name suggested here.
Don't like character select, Scorpion's portrait looks close, but other things different from MK1.

Last edited:
Indeed, it was just a mockup. The thing I was trying to say was that basic portrait "rules" such as trying to fill the frame with the subject and keeping the eyeline in the top third of the image really weren't observed in the original. A nudge or two wouldn't take away from any iconic-ness IMO. They don't have to be as close as I showed them though.

I realize this isn't that big of a deal. Perhaps the awkward portraits are part of the charm?

Edit
selectscreenmockup2.png

I agree with you though and part of the downfall of most other fan made creations is they tend to make them even more awkard.. going opposite of what you where doing. The official portraits for the character select screens where never as awkward as other fan stuff I've seen done. Although I actually liked your first example with them a little more close up and such here. I think the focus on character select screen pics should be the face in general.

I realize this isn't that big of a deal. Perhaps the awkward portraits are part of the charm?]

Well I think it'd be impossible really to truly match them anyway, since we'll be using the same models as in-game which, as close as they are, they still have different proportions. They look natural so its not like it's a bad thing, but it means the portraits won't look identical. Again, that's okay with me, I just wouldn't want to see them cropped or close-up. A few nudges here and there is certainly fine, as long as the original composition is mostly preserved.

Agree, it was best name suggested here.
Don't like character select, Scorpion's portrait looks close, but other things different from MK1.

That's the old select screen by badmouse, the one being used in the project is the one I've made. I'll be posting it again shortly along with the final versions of all the other screens.

Last edited:
Please do not name this game the TRMK Edition as TRMK had nothing to do with the making of this project other than provide a place for you guys to meet.
MK High Definition is fine.

Looks like I'll be able to work with the sprites in full resolution eventually. I'm learning how to code with C++, and I'm using DarkBasicPro, because it's like a dummy version of programming. You can do a ton of stuff with it, more than mugen and with better quality sprites or 3D models. It's the program Fighter Creator is getting made with.

I figured out how to play the animations and make them change if you press a button so far, I'm pretty exited! The coding should not be so hard to learn, a lot of it makes sense after working with mugen all this time.

If I'm not posting art as often, it's because I'm figuring out how to code with this other engine.

The 3D doesn't look so hot in it, but it should be great for a sprite based game. Eventually I want to move on to something better like UDK.

Jarvis,

I emailed you the redrawn Battle Text. I'll PM you about this as well.

I've addressed some of the issue we discussed and I'm ready to call this stage done.

Here is the result:

TEMPLE_SHRINE(2).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Why did you create floor with bricks? More logical make right side (from road) just like left.
Anyways it will be not visible in game.. Good work. Will be hard to make parallax here, indeed.

I've addressed some of the issue we discussed and I'm ready to call this stage done.

Here is the result:

TEMPLE_SHRINE(2).jpg

I still prefer the solid white clouds, as these don't really make sense even if they were in the original. Just my opinion.

Also, I think I have figured out something that has been bothering me about this stage specifically. The background pieces are too clear. Unnaturally clear. Realistically, the further away something is, the more "hazy" it will appear. Like looking at a distant mountain on a clear day, it's not super sharp. It may appear slightly blue or purple essentially because of the "sky" between you and it. Here is an example to illustrate what I am talking about:

mk2011_courtyard_day.jpg

If you look at the distant mountains, and even Shang's pavilion, they all have varying degrees of this haze. Without the natural haze, the stage is going to just look like a bunch of pictures thrown together in Photoshop, which it does to me as of now. I don't mean any offence. This is a little detail that makes a world of difference. This is one of those details that will separate this project from most of the other MK Mugen messes.

I don't think the original game had to worry about this too much since it was so low-res. Since we are making an HD game, we really must account for this detail.

If I might reccommend a solution, make the mountains a bit transparent. For the Shrine and the trees, apply a subtle blue overlay. Actually, I think you might should do another subtle layer over the front. Don't be afraid of air. It won't take much to make all the difference.

Last edited:
Hi Justin,

Ok the clouds are staying pink because the original arcade's are pink. I know it's not realistic but realism as I've said before, is boring. So the clouds are pink because that influences the feel of the entire stage.

Good call on the mountain haze, I'll add that. But be aware, Jarvis is working on getting us new mountains which are higher resolution so eventually these mountains will be replaced.

I take no offense to comments that help make this stage better. Constructive criticism is always welcome.

I still prefer the solid white clouds, as these don't really make sense even if they were in the original. Just my opinion.

Also, I think I have figured out something that has been bothering me about this stage specifically. The background pieces are too clear. Unnaturally clear. Realistically, the further away something is, the more "hazy" it will appear. Like looking at a distant mountain on a clear day, it's not super sharp. It may appear slightly blue or purple essentially because of the "sky" between you and it. Here is an example to illustrate what I am talking about:

mk2011_courtyard_day.jpg

If you look at the distant mountains, and even Shang's pavilion, they all have varying degrees of this haze. Without the natural haze, the stage is going to just look like a bunch of pictures thrown together in Photoshop, which it does to me as of now. I don't mean any offence. This is a little detail that makes a world of difference. This is one of those details that will separate this project from most of the other MK Mugen messes.

I don't think the original game had to worry about this too much since it was so low-res. Since we are making an HD game, we really must account for this detail.

If I might reccommend a solution, make the mountains a bit transparent. For the Shrine and the trees, apply a subtle blue overlay. Actually, I think you might should do another subtle layer over the front. Don't be afraid of air. It won't take much to make all the difference.

Ok is this better? I've added atmosphere to the Temple, and the background mountains.

TEMPLE_SHRINE(2).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It is better, however it looks like the haze stops towards the bottom of the shrine. If this were some kind of mist that might work, but since what we are working with here is essentially just oxygen, that should prolly go all the way down.

Also a few of those trees seem like they are just as far as, if not further away than the shrine. Those should prolly get some haze too. Actually, would it be possible to get some different trees? The trees and the mountains are really the only part of the stage that look like a photo grab.

Once these things like these are nailed it will go a long way towards giving the stage a real sense of depth.

It certainly does look better to my eyes already.

@Bleed - Don't forget about us!

Last edited:
Sorry Tremor,

I can't please everyone, and I like how it looks now.

Justin I can make it extend all the way down.

Not sure about the trees, I kind of like them. Just wish I had more types.

Hmmm. . I prefer the ooooold one . . I don't like the illumination of the stone gate and the wall . . I prefer the neutral color. .