Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

Hey, I've been lurking out for a while but I've gotta tell you guys, this looks great. The models look so neat, the stages are extremely defined and the whole project brings back so much memories.

And New Blood definitely sounds the best.

MK: New Blood sounds nice . .

Uhm . . Please choose some of my ideas, and share your thoughts about them . . Please !!

MK: Domination?
MK: Neo?
MK: Revamped?
MK: Uber?
MK: New Life?
MK: LIVES?
MK: Legacy?
The Legendary Mortal Kombat?

Mortal Kombat Lives really sounds great to me ! also the Legendary Mortal Kombat . .

how about Mortal Kombat: 20th Anniversary.
Or:
Mortal Kombat 1 HD: Klassic Edition (Klassics)
Mortal Kombat 1 HD: Kommunity Edition

Last edited:
All these subtitles sound dumb to me, as the only thing new is HD. there is nothing remixed or revamped or new about it. If WB is gonna shut you down they are gonna do it no matter what you call it. MK Project HD is the way to go, if you wanna addsomething to the title. it shows its mugen, a community project, and the successor of interloko and badmouses original project.

again, these sound dumb, like every other 2bit MK MUGEN. The Lost Secrets, MK1 Remake, Evolution, MK1 Platinum, Shadows of the Past XXD.

This is Mortal Kombat 1 in HD is it not? Nothing more? That is what your trying to achieve is it not? Did any of you take marketing in college? You should pick a concise, memorable name that ppl will remember. This is not a sequal, so it doesnt need a sequal subtitle.

Nope. Its sounds lame .
Thats funny, because bloody mortal kombat is MKP 4.1 with bleeds char edit in it.

Last edited:
Looks good Bleed.

I think whatever the game will be called, people will play it. It does deserve an epic name but something simple that gets the point across would be best.

Last edited:
Wow, been away just a couple days and so much discussion to catch up on. Still don't have much time so I'll leave it till tomorrow.

One thing I'll give my opinion on, I'd like to just keep the title Mortal Kombat HD. I don't mind MKHD Remix either, but from the looks of it that's not the general preference, though at least it made sense because of SSF2HD. Any other words I feel are just going to give people the wrong impression, as if this is a new version of MK rather than just the graphics/audio upgrade it actually is.

What I think could be changed is the "Midway Presents" screen. Just off the top of my head we could have "Mortal Kombat Community Presents", or anything along those lines.

But the title screen I think should be left just as the original, with 1992 Midway and whatever else is on it, it's nostalgic and changing it is unnecessary IMO.

How about MK Revival...??? :D

Just kidding, the project looks kickass (kickass is no justice to what it is really, I'm out of words). I believe you guys are not stopping after remaking MK1, so you should consider this far future in which you could just have MK1, MK2 and UMK3 redone, what would be the name for that? MK1 Legacy of Eternity, MK2 Fighters of Doom, UMK3 Last War of Heroes... I dont know, I believe just HD would do. It's elegant, short and if you're focusing in remaking the game with all the classic details and stuff, if the idea is to have the original game(s) with better graphics, maybe you should just keep the original name and add HD at the end, and maybe not even in the game itself... so the game is called MK(1?) HD but when you play it it will only say Mortal Kombat.

Having a different name, would imply an alteration of the original "Press Start" picture design, well... that's just my opinion.

Now I've been reading A LOT (I wasn't able to read all the pages tho), and saw you have a great team, a lot of people is working hard on this and it's awesome. I have a few questions/suggestions related to the project:
1) Is Sub-Zero going to move exactly like in MK1?: I mean, most of his basic moves are a copy of Scorpion's, so I was thinking maybe you would like to take some inspiration from MKM Sub-Zero which is the same character story-wise to change a little bit a few basic moves like roundhouse, air kick, stuff like that. This because the outfit is going to be the same, maybe they could get some more identity by not sharing so many basic moves, also if you choose to give Reptile some basic/special moves from MK2 it would add a little to the feeling of making things better, let's remember Reptile is nothing but an easter egg so it wont be a "betrayal of classic feeling" to give him some more personality in my opinion, and you can always use that material in MK2 HD if you choose to make that game after this one.
2) The two skeletons in Pit Button are exactly the same: I know it is like this in the original game, but since you're using 3D models you could just tweak a little the position of one of those skeletons to make them look different, I believe is not the same thing having mirror collums, or statues than having two fighters who have fallen into the spikes into the exact same position.
3) The monks who are in the background of The Courtyard: are exactly the same, I wonder if you're planning to animate them a little bit and / or make a few different face models to contribute to the realism of the scene. I think it would be a big deal, and very possitive.
4) The lack of turn around kick in MK1 makes the gameplay a little bit too old in my opinion: This is when you jump over your opponent and press kick, in MK1 they will not turn to kick the opponent and this is something too old for today's standarts, I mean, this game is going to look extremely awesome, I think maybe some gameplay features should be updated a little bit to ensure more balance and increase the level of fun you can have when playing. Let's remember MK1 is pretty old, we all love it but it could be an opportunity to deliver something cleaner and yet with the feeling of the original game, let's say... I believe some of the combos featured in this video are a problem to enjoy a remake of this game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Bp4-_3DIPo because those gameplay bugs and infinites already exist in the original game, there is no need to re-make them, if you trully want to have fun with bugs and unbalanced gameplay you can just download the original game, so I think MK1HD should use the opportunity to deliver a better gameplay.

SSF2HD offer a revisited balance, it could be taken into consideration.

Last edited:
I know what I'm about to say is years away, but since you guys are great with 3d models, do you guys . . .

DO YOU GUYS THINK YOU COULD DO MK4 HD?!?!?!??

OH LAWD!
73114_o.gif

@CARZ
My vote is still to keep all gameplay the same as the original. We're trying to do it for everything else, so it wouldn't make sense to me to start changing character's moves, adding turn around kicks and whatever else. The appeal of MK1 is its simplicity, the foundations of the series. To kind of turn around the "download the original game" point, it could also be said that if you want newer gameplay then play a newer MK game. And I don't think the bugs in MK1 will be replicated, it's going to be enough of a job just to get the feel of MK1 in this game, there will definitely be differences and probably brand new bugs as a result of that which we'll have to test for.

@bbblp Haha, maybe one day in the (very) distant future :)

Mortal Kombat Reforged

I actually quite like this one as it reminds me of another "HD" project I had been following... Quake Reforged which was high res skins for Quake. Although it kind of made more sense there because many of the characters where armored and it had a lot of medieval stuff in it.

As for an MK4 remake I would have to agree it'd be in the (very) distant future seeing as there's obviously still MK1-UMK3 to finish first... which is no small task I mean look how much needed to be done even just to get to this point! Talking about MK4 is getting WAY ahead of ourselves! Would be cool to see an MK4 with stuff fixed kind of like "this is how it should have been done in the first place".. though.

One other thing I might have to agree with is having some more animation in the backgrounds like the masked guards could use some more animation especially since they are not statues. Like, even if they are the type that stands still all the time like guards in London their robes could flap in the wind. Certain backgrounds have clouds passing by in the sky which to me implies there is at least a little wind... so things like that and flags could have some at least minor flapping\waving going on.

Last edited:
It's going to be awesome nevertheless, and I was just making a few suggestions... I did not mean changing moves, adding new special moves or anything like that tho, my suggestion for Sub-Zero's basic moves was to differenciate a little bit more the ninjas, obviously this wasn't done in the original game because of obvious, well known reasons, but it "could" be taken into consideration, some minor changes in basic moves like this wouldn't be hated by real fans, specially if you take MKM moves as inspiration, true fans would appreciate it I believe.

As for the turn around kick it was just an example, I could as well point the problem of throws that allow Sub-Zero's infinite (featured in the combo video), Kano's 100% or Sonya's Leg Grab infinite for example... I mean with the turn around example some minor fixes you could take into consideration to deliver a more competent gameplay that goes along with more competent graphics.

Obviously this project is not interested in adding complexity to the original MK, but how about some "better response and balance"? I know this project is still in early stages of development, but I felt curious about the subject, MKP for example have been working hard in delivering UMK3 gameplay feeling, but have done some changes, eliminated some infinites and things like this... SSF2HD have done the same, and is similar to this project in the sense that they're bringing back a classic with better graphics, yet they did some tweaks, and that's all I'm taking about.

Maybe you could have 2 modes, like Bleed's Bloody Scorpion? one with all the errors and gameplay problems and the other with some fixes... however unnecessary in my personal opinion because I dont think anyone at all would choose the buggy/unbalanced mode.

I'd be up for changing some elements in a different version of the game. The goal has already been set for this project, and we are following it no matter what temptation there is to make changes.

It's hard because a lot of us have some great ideas, but I think it's best to stay on course. So far we haven't been easily distracted on the most important part / game play.

Honestly, I think an update note for note isn't the best way to go. My head is more about replayability. I want people to spend more than 30 minutes with the game, and in order to do that I think a tweak or two is necessary. I think the project should remain very close to the original, but offer a little something extra. Just to keep the game fresh and people coming back to it.

Gameplay is one of those things that should prolly remain the same.

Oh, and it still seems like "Kommunity" should be part of the game's title.

The Kommunity presents Mortal Kombat HD

or like I said

Mortal Kombat HD
Kommunity Edition

As was stated, WB was this close to putting out Mortal Kombat HD. That name alone just isn't smart. If "Kommunity" is in the title, there can't possibly be any confusion.

Last edited: