Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

goro29.jpg

I tend to make a very basic mesh in the traditional modeling software first. Start with a cube, and get it to where the base loops for the eyes, mouth, nose and ears are in place.

Next I go to Zbrush and work it till it looks ready for me.

Retopologize in Topogun

I try different methods though, it's not the same every time. Some times I'll start from a cube right in Zbrush, other times I'll model the head a little further in Max before sculpting...

If I need to mid sculpt, I'll change edit the topology.

I don't go to super high detail because my computer couldn't handle it. I have a new system now that's a little stronger so maybe I can add the pores and stuff like that.

Have you tried this way: Create the mesh in preferred software like Maya or 3ds, get all the topology right. Have the mesh unwrapped, then bring it to Zbrush. After that, its a matter of exporting objs and maps back to preferred program when detail is complete and plug everything in. This is my process. I reuse the same base mesh over and over for most of my projects.

That sounds good, I can try it for the next model.

Only problem I see with that, is the edge loops. My final models use a lot of triangles for the bending joints, and that's no good for Zbrush.

For what we are doing it doesn't have to be that way, I can leave it all in quads.

Mortal Gojira, your portrait for Goro looks good. Few advices - may be you will make it more bright and with red background like was in MKT (brown looks not interesting)?

I'm working on the dragon banner. Heres what I got so far. What you guys think?

edit: png was all screwy :p

Last edited:
What are the problems with triangles you're having?

Zbrush has problems when subdividing triangles, you get pinching which is a bit of a pain to get rid of. If you use the smoothing brush on a poll, you'll get a point sticking out of the surface. It won't go smooth like quads do naturally, unless you use a flatten brush.

Goro's textures need work IMO, is this about the final render? The SSS is looking too much like wax, his skin texture needs more detail. Have you tried photographic projections?

The wrinkles on his forehead are looking too blurry, and the noise bump mapping is too big.

Goro's textures need work IMO, is this about the final render? The SSS is looking too much like wax, his skin texture needs more detail. Have you tried photographic projections?

The wrinkles on his forehead are looking too blurry, and the noise bump mapping is too big.

Now that you've said this, I can't un-see it. :/

I know, this stuff is hard to see after working on a model for a while, you get used to it. That's why it good to post for critique.

@TerryMasters Thanks a lot man, your mock up helped me with getting the color right. And I know, its not 100 percent accurate, but I tried. Here is the update version, fixed Yin Yang and added sash:

goro28.jpg

EDIT: Is it sad that I have no clue how to do the laser background?

EDIT EDIT: Ah man, cannot wait to do a Kintaro just because of his animations alone. I loved his idle, stomp, and growl. He just looked so aggressive.

Woah! I think this is enough man! All you need to change is the background and his position , and VOILA! done !

[video]http://www.jtresca.com/test/PalaceGates.swf[/video]

Palace Gate update, I warmed up the look of the stone and created the flames..

ALso still image without video compression

PalaceGatesTEST.jpg

Cool! But what happened to the flash one? It is kinda pixelated

Wha do you think guys?

lol! Nice one!

Cage looks a bit, strange. Something not right about him. Sonya looks great, but maybe a little too pretty?

Lol! Cage is kinda weird ! ! B.t.w. are you the one who's gonna do their portrait?

AWESOME ! ! That'll be a massive portrait but, I think his background should be a part of his lair , and he's kinda " WELCOME TO MY LAIR B**CHES!"

I don't think that Goro's Lair must be background here, look at other portraits.

Last edited:
Cool, Bleed, it looks like MK9 classic costumes pose.)
There's also thing which I wanted to see in MK1 remix - you fight final boss in Throne Room.
You have full chair, no problem to make it.

Hey! It IS the MK9 Classics pose!

Good work Bleed. Did you modify the model any for the larger render?

Also, his arms seem a bit thin. o_O