Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

I agree with above orators. The Gates must look something like this:
CwNuZ.png

@justin I think your version of the continue theme is the way to go. No disrespect to the Grid, but man that was awesome!
It will be a real shame if your version is not used.

I would prefer the sky color/gradient to be something like vetalfox's actually. Also agree with removing the flame cast (or toning it down at least). I don't like the blood red door though, the old one is better.

Anyway as long as there's edits being done, I'll throw in one more:

pgnewedit.png

I brightened up only the path, to retain the same contrast as the original, instead of the opposite with the path darker than the ground. I would prefer this kind of look, and I think it completes the stage as a daylit scene.

As for the clouds, I feel incorporating them and animating them realistically is going to be a difficult task. Hopefully I'm wrong, but that's my feeling right now. Perhaps it would be better to finish all the stages without clouds for now, then go back and figure out the style and method that will work consistently for each stage. I do think though that once they're done to satisfaction, they will breathe even more life into any background that contains them. I know it'll look awesome.

@justin I think your version of the continue theme is the way to go. No disrespect to the Grid, but man that was awesome!
It will be a real shame if your version is not used.

I thought Justin's was great too, but I don't think it'd be fair if it was chosen without hearing Grid's completed. We are still yet to produce it/mix it, what you heard was a start.

vetalfox, that looks great. It adresses most of my concerns, I think. Just changing the sky and clouds makes an astounding difference.

Looks better except clouds, which were better before your edit. I don't like white color, they were pink in MK1.
51683ee4e117.png

@jarvis I agree. I guess I didn't realize Grids was not finished. will read more carefully next time.

@justin I would love to hear your interpretation of all the music even if it didn't all get used. I really like your style.

Looks better except clouds, which were better before your edit. I don't like white color, they were pink in MK1.
51683ee4e117.png

Ok now I'm confused, Le@n's image from the arcade shows no flames on the background column..but I've seen other screen shots with the flame. Which version is correct?

Something I just realized - you only ever get pink clouds at sunset/twighlight. The sky isn't so vibrant either, and along with the presence of flames, the rather muted tone of everything, is it possible that the scene was meant to be near the end of the day instead of the middle?

Otherwise we could just as well assume that since it's all just composited, they didn't pay attention to these kind of things. But in broad daylight, clouds should always be white, so pink ones wouldn't belong in Calactyte's version. The stage could look more dramatic in an end of day setting though, but it'd be quite the frustrating backtrack.

Ok now I'm confused, Le@n's image from the arcade shows no flames on the background column..but I've seen other screen shots with the flame. Which version is correct?

The column flame is definitely there in the game. I'm just wondering since you mentioned screenshots, are you redoing the stages as captured from mame, or using MKW resources? Because I think that some of the ones at MKW are incorrect, I'm not 100% positive about this but I do seem to recall inconsistencies. Which if you're running into any yourself with MKW stuff, that could be the reason why.

I personally captured all my UI references from mame just to make sure it was all correct, you might want to do the same.

Last edited:
Sorry, calactyte, I wanted to show full statue and flame just moved out of screenshot.) But seriously it looks better without it, more logical add flame to stages with night time like Warrior's Shrine.

I think that some of the ones at MKW are incorrect
Any examples, please? If you about MK1-UMK3 tiles, they all correct..

Sorry, calactyte, I wanted to show full statue and flame just moved out of screenshot.) But seriously it looks better without it, more logical add flame to stages with night time like Warrior's Shrine.

Any examples, please? If you about MK1-UMK3 tiles, they all correct..

I think the flames in the stage should stay, they add a bit more life to it.

Also I don't think all MKW assets are correct, I just checked the Pit and their bridge is wrong. I don't know if the ones that look the same have correct size either. Probably most of them are okay though.

I think the flames in the stage should stay, they add a bit more life to it.
There's enough animations without it.

I just checked the Pit and their bridge is wrong
They can't be wrong, you lie.. Anyways I didn't see any screenshots which prove, that they're incorrect.

There's enough animations without it.

It's also an obvious element of the stage, I think it'd look incomplete without it.

They can't be wrong, you lie.. Anyways I didn't see any screenshots which prove, that they're incorrect.

Yeah I lie for no reason, sure. All I said is I don't know if they're all the same, I remember some being different. And the Pit bridge on MKW does have something extra on the pillar that's not in the arcade.

Nah, you remember - it's mean nothing. I play MK1 everyday and always can prove that they're exact.

bridge on MKW does have something extra on the pillar
What exactly and where? If you're about bodies, then I can say - there's many sprites which exist in ROM, but not used in game.

Interloko I can't sent you a PM your inbox is full, I have the block sprites ready to send.

I started working on Raiden's head today, what I did so far is clean up the base mesh. Re worked the topology, edge flow and got rid of all the triangles.

Regarding the music,

@Jarvis - Indeed. Waiting to hear everything is the only way to go.

@prstyles27 - I'm glad you liked the piece! I may take a crack at one or two other pieces and see what the group thinks. Honestly, I don't wanna devote the time required if they won't be used. I'd rather that time be spent working on the Sound Effects. But if the group likes my style of the music and wants to go that route, I'll gladly make the rest.

Of course, I see no reason why just one person has to do all the music. As long as the results are of consistent production quality, I think it would be fine for different people to contribute different themes. I mean, this is a community project after all. :)

Oh, and regarding the Palace Gates, that edit with the all white clouds looks the best to my eyes. It really makes the whole thing pop. The pink ones just seem out of place to me.

Last edited:
Also I don't think all MKW assets are correct
I'm sorry, Jarvis. Though that you're about MKMW assets.( I'm agree with you about MKW, it sucks and they edited many sprites. Anyways, I never used their materials, because I have all sprites on MKMW and can rip everything myself. That's however doesn't mean that I created screehshot with them.

I personally captured all my UI references from mame just to make sure it was all correct
I'm not sure that you got backgrounds in full size, few parts aren't visible without tricks.

Last edited:
Bleed you are a monster buddy,

What is your plan are you going to take a quick break from scorpion so that you can model Raiden?

Interloko I can't sent you a PM your inbox is full, I have the block sprites ready to send.

I started working on Raiden's head today, what I did so far is clean up the base mesh. Re worked the topology, edge flow and got rid of all the triangles.