Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

^Yeah, MK1 had that "Big Trouble in Little China" and "Enter the Dragon" feel to it.
Rayden and Shang Tsung= Big Trouble in..., Liu Kang = Enter the Dragon, Johnny Cage = Bloodsport,
Kano = Terminator, Sub Zero (name only) = Running Man, Sonya in alt. costume = Red Sonja (lol, probably not)

Anyway back on topic,
I think having Goros' legs a bit longer then on the stop motion puppet was a good call.
Even some images in the game have Goro with longer legs, like his statue in the Warrior Shrine:

24e80ig.jpg

They are slightly different other then just the legs, even tho' both images are cropped from
the pictures of correct aspect radio. Here's another picture of Goro stop animation puppet,
not sure if this one's been posted yet:

2nvci89.jpg

Some Questions:

1. Will this game be opensource or moleboxed?
2. Will RantonMalo's Raiden be included in this project after all, since the char model's progress was posted here?
3. Has there been any further Warrior Shrine progress?
4. Will glitces be recreated? Such as Multiple Head Decapitations for Cage, Throw and freeze blocking opponent, or Fatality while frozen with Sub-Zero, Sonya/Scorpion Fatality on grounded victums etc.?
5. Will the Bio Screens have Movies or still screens/pics?
6. Will MUGEN debug buttons work? Show Hitboxes? etc.
7. Will 2 vs 2 or other MUGEN modes be included? I hope not.
8. Any concepts for Lightning "flowing" around Raiden yet?
9. would you consider dropping "Remix" from the title?
10. Does anyone have access to MKI arcade hitboxes? And how are the hitboxes being made?

1- Probably Moleboxed
4- Probably all of them
6- Probably not
7- No but there are some extra modes for versus matches
9- For me Mortal Kombat HD is fine (and better)
10- There are a way to see the colision boxes of other fighting games but not for arcade MK1.
Basicly the "get hit" box is 1/4 of the width of the sprite, placed in the center and the height is the same as the sprite.

9- For me Mortal Kombat HD is fine (and better)

I also think Mortal Kombat HD is the way to go.

@Interloko, Are the game's sprites going to be confined to having jagged edges, or can partially transparent pixels be used? Sorry, I never understood if this was the case.

Serious lawls at "female empty."

I neeevvvveerrrr thought I'd have a discussion about Goro's junk. But, here we are. I will make sure he's packing so it doesn't look like he has an inny.

@reiko26 Thanks a lot man, took a lot to get there but I'm glad I did. People made some very good suggestions that helped everything.

@jiggeh Yeah, his lower arms do look funky. Will fix

Not enough junk. (Please don't listen to them. This looks astoundingly accurate and is nothing short of incredible.)

Edit- Ok let me get these things out of the way before you get the typical "looks great! but..." posts.

-The model is perfect. But because the original screenshot had his arms in closer, people are going to complain about it. Just a heads up.

-They'll also probably say something about the lighting, which is entirely fixable and has nothing to do with the model itself, since they were basically baking the clay in the sun from the front of the original Goro figure. This cast a huge shadow over his cheekbones, making the eyesocket area so dark you could barely see the red in his eyes.

DOV9S.png

That's a quick mockup I threw together but this new Goro has the same photorealistic qualities we saw with Raiden - it's that good. And if I remember correctly, they used the same model for Kintaro (you can see it in his face) so hold on to this one because we may need it again.

Last edited:
@TerryMasters Thanks a lot man, your mock up helped me with getting the color right. And I know, its not 100 percent accurate, but I tried. Here is the update version, fixed Yin Yang and added sash:

goro28.jpg

EDIT: Is it sad that I have no clue how to do the laser background?

EDIT EDIT: Ah man, cannot wait to do a Kintaro just because of his animations alone. I loved his idle, stomp, and growl. He just looked so aggressive.

Last edited:
@back,back,back,low punch haha, thanks. And I didn't mind the pupils too much. I mean, they make sense to have them, but I get that it does look cool to not put them in.

Nice work! Still needs his lip depth played with a bit so you can get more shadow in there. Honestly it's beautiful work, and if you left it as it was, I'd be happy.

Ok let me get these things out of the way before you get the typical "looks great! but..." posts.

-The model is perfect. But because the original screenshot had his arms in closer, people are going to complain about it. Just a heads up.

-They'll also probably say something about the lighting, which is entirely fixable and has nothing to do with the model itself, since they were basically baking the clay in the sun from the front of the original Goro figure. This cast a huge shadow over his cheekbones, making the eyesocket area so dark you could barely see the red in his eyes.

Firstly it's just natural that once one thing gets fixed, another gets noticed. There's nothing wrong with that, it's up to Gojira how much he wants to act on criticism. And it does look great no matter how you cut it.

Anyway I think the wider arm pose could be better for our 16:9 screen actually, so that Goro takes up more space. I'll see how it looks with the text however. Also I think his lighting looks very nice.

Somehow though, the face still looks strange to me in comparison. While the the top of the head looks closer in height to me now, the general proportions of the head and its features still have room for improvement I think. The neck area could possibly be bigger too. He almost looks more alien to me currently rather than a human/dragon hybrid. I googled dragon face, if there's a chance it could help -

how-to-draw-a-dragon-face-step-8.jpg

If you've been relying on the attract screen and clay model, now might be a good time to revisit the concept sketch and see what you can take from it in regards to proportions/features. It's an accurate representation of him IMO so I believe you were right in including it as a reference. The horns you took from it certainly look good too.

Anyway I am kind of nitpicking to be honest. So no problem if you're happy with it as it is, it's definitely excellent work. Matching the likeness is a difficult thing and I admire your dedication to it.

Last edited:
[video]http://www.jtresca.com/test/PalaceGates.swf[/video]

Palace Gate update, I warmed up the look of the stone and created the flames..

ALso still image without video compression

PalaceGatesTEST.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, I decided to make a version of the "Continue Theme" just because I like the piece that much and couldn't really pass up the opportunity.

I think this version captures both the ominousness and the regality of MK1. To me, this is what getting put down by Gojira's awesome Goro should sound like. Haha

Critique away! :)

My Version: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?s9w0su9dcqwjjt3

Original: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkVvSVcnmdc

Oh, and do the mix a favor and try to listen on good speakers. :)

I've made the cloth hang down straighter, and created a moving loop. If you hold block, he keeps moving a little like he's breathing. I got it in to mugen and it looks good. Aside from a minor shading bug I'm getting from Max.

The shadow on the inside of the back side of the vest flickers light to dark for some reason. I'm not sure why that's happening.

I'll post a gif soon..