Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

Completely unrelated, but I just had a thought. What if some other name was put in place of "Midway" at the top of the title screen? I only thought about this because it might further distinguish this project as a Fan-Creation, and furthermore, possibly aid in preventing any legal disputes from WB. Just a thought.

MK_HD_TitleScreen.jpg

...how dare you.

Yeah, the changing the Midway thing was just a thought. But will we display the "HD" distinction anywhere on the title screen?

@TerryMasters Haha I meant no disrespect towards Midway. I only brought it up for the aforementioned distinguishing purposes. I mean, technically, this isn't "Midway's Mortal Kombat." I sort of think some sort of distinction, even if small, might should be made on the title screen.

@calactyte, No no, I'm still totally on board to still work on the sfx. Just been busy with stuff. I'll prolly have another attempt at scorpion's Spear posted sometime today. I figured those two sounds (Spear and Freeze) are among the most important to get right so I want to finish getting those done first. Even if you guys opt not to use them. :p

Also, I really want to take a whack at the "Continue Theme." I hope that won't step on anyone's toes. I just think I would have a lot of fun trying my hand at it.

Last edited:
The thing with hard edges in Mugen is a system limitation we have to deal with. It has to be that way in order to use the color palettes. Colors must be limited to a 256 palette, just like any gif you post on the web.

I'm not familiar with mugen 1.1's use of .png files, or how well they can be used for a character. In the current version of mugen, 1.0 smooth edges with high color is not an option.

Very much appreciate all the input. Will definitely revise it all asap. I can address these though:

I'll work with the scaled look. May not see much during combat, but I'm hoping we all can include some wallpaper type screenshots that will show off the detail. Maybe a montage with all the renders showing of our work or something.

I'm meeting all halfway with the legs. I've enlarged them, but not too much. Its definitely not as small, but are bigger.

Will keep detailing the face. In fact, will have as much detail as possible to have a quality model.

Now, i can't sleep for crap, so was killing time tiring my brain working on this. Hope you all enjoy :)

goro22.jpg

EDIT: Changed background. Couldn't look at it anymore without getting a headache

(playing in MK1 Theme) Na na na na na na na na na naaaaa ! ! ! GORO LIVES ! ! ! ! And lived again ! !

g2oro.jpg

If anyone wants to react, pls. make a sound . . .

Wow, I snooze I miss out on a lot. Anyway... I have been looking forward to seeing a "Goro Lives" remake using the new model. I here am OK with the red eyes and don't think of Akuma at all. Red eyes and shade is probably the best way in my opinion. I think it's a nice improvement for an HD version.

Anyway, I actually preferred the first background shown for this although neither look exactly like the original. The original looks a bit more like a ton of lasers behind him to me for some reason. Or a set that is moving in such a way that it looks like a lot when photographed.

Also I hope the creator's praise doesn't make anyone complacent and deaf to suggestion. The project would take a nose dive at that point. :)

The thing with hard edges in Mugen is a system limitation we have to deal with. It has to be that way in order to use the color palettes. Colors must be limited to a 256 palette, just like any gif you post on the web.

I'm not familiar with mugen 1.1's use of .png files, or how well they can be used for a character. In the current version of mugen, 1.0 smooth edges with high color is not an option.

That's unfortunate. I almost thought it'd have that feature (.png sprites... or perhaps .mng). Are you going to save them in higher color as well just in case or is it all just going to be saved as 256 colors and that's it? It'd be a shame for it to be HD yet stop short from having everything limited to 256 colors... and hard edges rather than smooth alpha blended edges. Even back in the day especially with certain characters like Kitana in MKII I used to notice the jaggies on the edges when they move.

Also does it have to be made with MUGEN 1.0? Or is 1.1 not coming out any time soon or at a good time scale for this project? There's still quite some time left. Also looking at a few threads at MUGEN they seem to indicate PNG wouldn't have a palette system. Although I'm like why can't they make a mask which lets you hue shift certain parts.

Since you mentioned palettes does that mean you are going to colorize certain parts of the costumes during mirror matches or are you just going to make it darker like in the original. People are very militant about making it just like the original so colorizing doesn't seem to me like sticking true to the original.

Completely unrelated, but I just had a thought. What if some other name was put in place of "Midway" at the top of the title screen? I only thought about this because it might further distinguish this project as a Fan-Creation, and furthermore, possibly aid in preventing any legal disputes from WB. Just a thought.

MK_HD_TitleScreen.jpg

It would then feel more like a parody than a remake... a joke version. But even parody makers seek permission and approval. Also It would be a shame for Warner Bros. to get in a tizzy over the name Midway considering that brand name has been all but retired.... they don't use it any more as far as I can see and only shows in the MKAK for example for legacy purposes as they weren't editing the game just emulating.

Also Warner Bros doesn't own everything once related to Midway anyway. It was split up between different publishers. So IMO the Midway brand is virtually extinct now.

Last edited:
It wasn't bad idea to change copyrights in Title..
What I also don't like on picture with Goro - background isn't very similar.
Spor_MK created his own version, which looks close to MK1.

gorobyspor.jpg

People are very militant about making it just like the original
This will be very stupid..

Last edited:
^ NOW WE'RE PLAYING WITH POWER!

Yeah now that looks spot on. :)

The edges on Goro don't look very clean though. I see some pixel dandruff on his upper right arm for example.

I can only speak of what I know about mugen 1.0, because that's the one out right now. Interloko is working with 1.1 which is still in development. He's a tester on it, so he's got access to a pre release build.

Mugen right now doesn't let you use a mask for coloring the sprites. You can do it with sprite layers, like in Photoshop documents, but that's too many sprites.

I have a copy of all the sprites as .png with antialiasing. In case we can get this to a better system, it's all there to work with.

I don't see problems with MUGEN color limitations.. For backgrounds possible to make RGB layers.
And characters can look good even in 256 colors.

Mortal Gojira, great work with Goro, but his face is really strange.
He must have a Lower head/forehead, a wider mouth, bigger/wider eyes, higher ears, eyes and "eyebrows" inclined upwards.

I've made a quick example:
fu6ww8.png

Mortal Gojira, great work with Goro, but his face is really strange.
He must have a Lower head/forehead, a wider mouth, bigger/wider eyes, higher ears, eyes and "eyebrows" inclined upwards.

I've made a quick example:
fu6ww8.png
Ah, that example nails the look!

Mugen right now doesn't let you use a mask for coloring the sprites. You can do it with sprite layers, like in Photoshop documents, but that's too many sprites.
It'd be unfortunate if it never had that feature as it makes sense to have.

I have a copy of all the sprites as .png with antialiasing. In case we can get this to a better system, it's all there to work with.

This is good news at least. It'd probably be a good idea to archive the actual 3D models as well. :)

Some Questions:

1. Will this game be opensource or moleboxed?
2. Will RantonMalo's Raiden be included in this project after all, since the char model's progress was posted here?
3. Has there been any further Warrior Shrine progress?
4. Will glitces be recreated? Such as Multiple Head Decapitations for Cage, Throw and freeze blocking opponent, or Fatality while frozen with Sub-Zero, Sonya/Scorpion Fatality on grounded victums etc.?
5. Will the Bio Screens have Movies or still screens/pics?
6. Will MUGEN debug buttons work? Show Hitboxes? etc.
7. Will 2 vs 2 or other MUGEN modes be included? I hope not.
8. Any concepts for Lightning "flowing" around Raiden yet?
9. would you consider dropping "Remix" from the title?
10. Does anyone have access to MKI arcade hitboxes? And how are the hitboxes being made?

Last edited:
i can answer the questions about raiden.

2. Will RantonMalo's Raiden be included in this project after all, since the char model's progress was posted here?

I made this Raiden for other project. Raiden have a lot of parts to be fix so maybe will be easy make another Raiden. we don't know yet.

3. Has there been any further Warrior Shrine progress?

I updated a bit it with some parts i sculpted in Zbrush, i receive some object used in other stages so after finish with Goro's Lair I will update the stage a bit more.

8. Any concepts for Lightning "flowing" around Raiden yet?

I will think later on it, but i have a idea about how to make rays around Raiden body.