Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

@ tremor and justin

haha very much appreciate that, thank you. Think I need to change the background though. Makes me crazy dizzy.

@danduffy

Yeah, there was a brief discussion about that. Thought was very cool of them to acknowledge praise the fans' appreciation and hard work.

No problem! ! I've got a comparison posted there, you can use it to refer the background . . :D

Goro looks amazing but i think he need more volume in his 4 arms. they are a bit slim. also his thumb. the rest looks great. very good job :)

@ Mortal Gojira seems perfect ;) only you forgot one line abdominal muscles :)
goroc.jpg

Goro keeps looking better and better. I love the face in the latest version, the only thing I'd possibly like changed would be making his ears a little bigger. His outfit (or what little of one he's wearing, anyway) needs some loving, but I assume you haven't really started working on it.

Awesome job! It looks fantastic. The pose isn't exactly the same, I'm guessing that's because it's still in zBrush and not fully rigged. The belt could use a bit of slack so it looks as though it were hanging around his waste. Also the Sash on the side can be turned a bit to face the camera. I'm guess that will require it's bones to animate it properly. Lastly, the mouth needs depth between the lips. It looks like his lips a glued shut right now. Perhaps that's because you haven't built the mouth sock and teeth yet?

I think it's just about done after those minor changes and then you get into rigging an animating. Are you familiar with Retopologizing so that the model is easier rig and takes less time to render?

@ tremor and justin

haha very much appreciate that, thank you. Think I need to change the background though. Makes me crazy dizzy.

@danduffy

Yeah, there was a brief discussion about that. Thought was very cool of them to acknowledge praise the fans' appreciation and hard work.

Last edited:
GORO LIVES... amazing job man. Red ying-yang belt around his waist definitely needs some work.
I honestly wasn't expecting this level of quality from someone other than Bleed, but I sure am
glad you proved me wrong. Keep up.

@calactyte, I've send you a PM, hope you can help me out.

I think was taken in the year 1995, when making MK3
About Kano's updated costume, it was created even before MKII release.
And Kano still has hair here.

Mortal Gojira, impressive work with Goro. Not very exact, but looks close enough..
Also like that you used elements from Tobias' sketch.

Last edited:
Goro looks fantastic. But everytime I see those beady red eyes I think I'm looking at Akuma. Did he have red eyes originally? MK9 aside of course.

Goro looks fantastic. But everytime I see those beady red eyes I think I'm looking at Akuma. Did he have red eyes originally? MK9 aside of course.

I don't think we ever actually saw his eyes in-game in MK1, but if you look at the model used for his sprites, he does have solid red eyes. This is backed up by Tobias' own art in the comics, I believe. So yes, his eyes were red.

Personally, I like not being able to see his eyes. I think it makes him look far more cold and menacing.

med27.jpg

@Gojira, looking at this pic, it seems like his dragon spots might should come up over his shoulders a bit more. :)

Also, I've noticed that the renders thus far posted all seem to have pretty hard edges. Will that be the case in game or will they have a bit more anti-aliasing? Also, Does MUGEN support transparent PNGs? I've never used MUGEN.

Last edited:
Personally i like red eyes. black eyes is like doing ninja vests with no texture. just becuase you couldnt see them back then i low res doesnt mean you shouldnt see them now. Also placement of the horns on goro look sporatic, the should be somewhat symetrical in my opinion. Also I liked the face before this one. this one looks like Golem from LotR to me. The eyes look to low to me.

@MUGENKombat
You should ask the guys here who made this HD remix , if you can use their work to promote yours sites with clips in youtube whit stuff from this project .
At least it would be correct and fair .
If you have already done it and they gave you permission, you have my apologies.

Last edited:
black eyes is like doing ninja vests with no texture. just becuase you couldnt see them back then i low res doesnt mean you shouldnt see them now.

I have to disagree with your comparison. Goro's shadowy eyes were not the product of an inexpensive camera, but of the lighting techniques used. It's no secret that a light overhead will make a face more menacing. I'm sure the MK guys realized this. Even in Goro's two close up shots (one from MK1 and one from MK2's intro) his eyes were hidden in shadow while other's were not.

I'm not saying your opinion isn't valid, I'm just saying that your comparison isn't.

@MUGENKombat
You should ask the guys here who made this HD remix , if you can use their work to promote yours sites with clips in youtube whit stuff from this project .
At least it would be correct and fair .
If you have already done it and they gave you permission, you have my apologies.

You mean the sites that bleed, interloko, and Rantonmalo, and vetalfox post at?
These sites are slowly fading. We have supported them for years. There is also a direct link to this thread in each of those videos. And the first video is what vogel and tobias responded to. I havent been promoting MK MUGEN all these years for nothing. The "sites" I'm promoting are the core MK MUGEN community from MKProject days.

Last edited:
Really appreciate the comments and critques. Always helps me a ton. Thanks.

@badmouse yeah, definitely will have to beef up his forearms and maybe make them a bit longer.

@AntrAcsA I did try to get my design on the abs through for the simple reason I didn't like how it looked before. But if you all would rather it changed, I'll go ahead and fix it.

@Jiggeh been focused completely on his body. Did the bare minimum for his outfits really. Will get too them pretty soon though. And will play with the ears.

@calactyte yup, still zbrush model. I need to read up on rigging and animating honestly. Its been a while since I did either. And his lip just looks that way because of the mesh overlapping. He does have a mouth cavity. I have teeth and tongue all ready for Mr. Goro.

@la_luna well difinitely fix up his clothes. Probably not tonight, but definitely tomorrow.

@Le@N I really liked Tobias's sketch. A lot more than the actual clay model. I prefer his proportions and design

@TerryMasters He sure did. Just limited technology and lighting didnt bring it out as much

@Justin Slaughter I like the red eyes, but when it is shaded he does look way more aggressive. Cold and menacing, like you said. His dragon spots need a lot of work, and I do like how they spill over his shoulder like that.

Don't know about the edges either. Never worked with mugen. I tried, but didn't get very far.

@MUGENKombat I see what you mean with the eyes being too low. I think its the perspective though, but I'll make sure and revise them.

again guys, thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited:
again guys, thanks for the suggestions.

Thank YOU for all your hard work, sir! I truly can't wait to get my ass kicked by your Goro!

Completely unrelated, but I just had a thought. What if some other name was put in place of "Midway" at the top of the title screen? I only thought about this because it might further distinguish this project as a Fan-Creation, and furthermore, possibly aid in preventing any legal disputes from WB. Just a thought.

MK_HD_TitleScreen.jpg

Last edited:
We can do that if we are asked to. Right now there is no need. We aren't charging money for this. Although this is technically WB's IP now, they would only try and sue us or stop the project if they intended to release an MKHD. We also have the original creator's of this IP, endorsing our work. So things are looking good. The second someone tries to sell this to someone is when we would be shutdown. That is why we're not handing files out to anyone and trying not to create too much buzz about this for now.

Oh I meant to say something about your Sound FX creation. I hope you haven't given up on it. I though the new freeze / flip sounded awesome. The scorpion spear needed work to me. I hope you haven't given up due to the discussions we've had about recreating the sounds or not.

Thank YOU for all your hard work, sir! I truly can't wait to get my ass kicked by your Goro!

Completely unrelated, but I just had a thought. What if some other name was put in place of "Midway" at the top of the title screen? I only thought about this because it might further distinguish this project as a Fan-Creation, and furthermore, possibly aid in preventing any legal disputes from WB. Just a thought.

MK_HD_TitleScreen.jpg

@Gojira, that Goro model looks amazing. The chest is fixed now too. Abs look fine IMO. Arms do need some bulking up and as badmouse said, the thumbs should be fixed up. The hands are looking good, I think it can be called complete but I still think it should have more wrinkles like wrapping around the fingers like its rough skin.

WOw.. guys.. when i miss Raiden ?? I fowoll this topic from the began but.. I have not seen this :
raidenu.jpg

raiden2.jpg

riden3.jpg

raiden4.jpg

raiden5.jpg

Look badass, who made it ?

Sonia...she need more work....But it is actualy realy cool, i this the final result will be awsome...
i will sugest something, when this project came out, why dont you guys encriptate the files of mugem making just runable the mk1HD.exe? Because i know there will be lots of people that will steal the characters and add his own idiot moves, just to be shure... i dont know if you catched my idea

Last edited: