Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

I sent the turn sprites to Interloko, they aren't quite right, but I want to move on to the next animation. There's a problem with his feet moving up and down as he turns, because they weren't exactly on the same spot vertically. I fixed that on the stance animation, and I need to update the other anims with it, but I'm working on the block tonight. I'm getting kind of slow with these, finding little mistakes here and there are making me back track to often, but learn as you go...

Well, so let me tell something to the guy that will make kano...the thing that he have is not bullets but a bag or something
Mk1-behind11.jpg

and something that i am wondering...will it be the SD vs stance image or a remaded one?

Last edited:
Man, I have the same problem. I usually get hung up on whatever mistake I run into and it keeps me from moving on. Just go back to it later. That always helps me.

I really like the fatality idea. I can see that Kano even using his knife to get the heart out and when Sub Zero pulls out the spine the momentum drags the opponent to the ground hard. Can't wait to hear what ideas people come up with

I also think we should slow it down with these crazy mugen videos. Just my opinion, but its kinda distracting

Well, so let me tell something to the guy that will make kano...the thing that he have is not bullets but a bag or something
Mk1-behind11.jpg

and something that i am wondering...will it be the SD vs stance image or a remaded one?

Yeah to me it seems like it's more like an over the shoulder utility belt than anything. In which case he seems to actually have two... one around his waist and one over the shoulder.

Kano will be the same as in MK1, the VS image is the same as his character select image.

The utility belt over his chest will have the brown pouches, not the one from MK3.

I'ts interesting how that pic above has the MK3 utility belt yet white underneath instead of black with red trim. Nor does it have the red arm guards. Perhaps it was meant for MKT?

Last edited:
MKCE_00.jpg

that was an updated MK1 costume for live trade events. That is how Kano appeared in the MK1 comic book by john tobias. I prefer that silver and red one to the brown one personally. I dont think it was planned for MK Trilogy.

Sonya has different armbands (not spikes) and a symbol on her top. Goro has armbands. The ninjas vests are smooth. It might have been cool to model the faces after Tobias' art and not the actual actors. Anyways, I hope some of his style rubs off on you alls project.

Last edited:
No, please don't base the faces off of comic book characters.. getting too cartoony is Mortal Kombat's downfall as far as I'm concerned. If you want a more cartoon'ish drawn style Street Fighter is that way *points out there somewhere* I used to have the set of t-shirts with that artwork on it but it didn't match the game for me. As it's own thing or a basic reference it's fine but the first two games at least where meant to look more realistic than that.

Everything in hand drawn comic book style art is smooth by the way. But more realistic depictions such as movies always have more texture to them. Now, if one wants to make a seperate MK Comic Book Edition or MK Capcom Style or something that may be fine but again please leave that stuff out of this project!

I also think games tend to look more realistic when they base the faces off of an actual person in general.

Last edited:
The general idea I'd say is to keep it looking less like a comic and more realistic. No super ripped characters like Tekken or MKDA +, and the Faces should resemble the Actors.

I think MK lost something in general when they stopped basing the characters off of actors. It's just not the same. The art style is part of why I chose it over Street Fighter in the first place.

I just meant not use the actors, but more generic faces. I dont think it should be done, just a thought I had while posting. Besides, Bleeds likenesses are uncanny. I do however think the char costumes in the MK1 comic cover are more interesting than the actual game. (minus the ninjas) Im not suggesting make it like SF by any means. It will be interesting to see what balance you guys come to between arcade like and remixed. Im undecided how I feel about adding to the fatalities. I mean, make it just like MK1. If no tortches in goros lair, then why added anim in fatalities? I get the idea for extra umph all these years later, but then, why not zoom in? Also if Goro is based of Tobias sketch and scorpion is based off of original filming costume, why not base goro off the model? or why not base kano costume off comic? again, what you guys are doing is great! these are just fan opinions. It will be exciting to see what you come up with.

Yeah that's precisely what I'm against.. I don't like generic faces so much especially for a project like this that is going for a specific look. Also like I said IMO it lowers the realism in just about any game it's in. It's harder also for me to connect with generic faces personally speaking. Although I let it slide depending on what style something is going for like if I where watching a cartoon series or reading a comic book it's just fine although better drawn\rendered stuff is always welcome.

Also they may have partly used some comic book art for Goro as a reference but then made it more realistic looking and not at all like a comic book and goro is kind of an exception anyway since even his clay model isn't based off of any person. He was totally original... a monster.. and again they are making his model with the same goal of realism as the rest of the graphics anyway. Just like using a storyboard where the storyboard looks crude compared to the actual movie or whatever.

Last edited:
Well my main point was Rich Divisio wore that update costume in the pic, Tobias Kano wore it in both comics, and its way better than that brown whatever it is in the game, IMO. It MK1 not MKT, I say REMIX Kano. Kano looks badass in it. My 2 cents.

Yeah Goro's horns are a good example. Again, Im not saying make a comic book. Im saying consider these costumes for a remix, the faces was an afterthought while posting.

Last edited:
I think, updated costume looks good, but better to use MK1 design.)
It can be used as alternative outfit however..

No alt outfits if its MK1 remake, better to just use as primary/only because its a remix. (if they used it i mean) It seems so far only the music is remixed and goro gets horns. good enough for me. i would be tempted to add stuff. not auto-combos and second fatalities, and moves for reptile, but more detail to the costumes. The ninjas shin guards and gis got it. they look more real than ever. things like goros horns and sonyas emblem would deff be things to consider. Extra details Tobias drew dont = sf comic, but instead possible opportunities for realism and detail. Also, Goros eyes are red, not black. the man has eyes you know. Please keep them red.

have you guys considered anything that didnt make it to the final game?
gorodeath.gif

Last edited:
sorry folks, all characters will be exactly like the MK1, no exceptions.

No mix between MKs. It's MK1 with HD graphics. nothing more.

hope you guys understand :)

I think some things like putting in a hole where Kano pulled the heart out or fixing certain faces in the spine rip fatality (the ninjas faces looked garbled like I said before) sounds good though. Goes with the higher level of detail the project is going for.

Hey, MUGENKombat.. is there any place I can see more of what didn't make it into the game? I'm interested in it.

@smoke.tetsu Thats why I posted that, see now, there are MK MUGEN cats here now because bleed, loko, and RantonMalo decide to post here and not at one of the awesome links in Le@N's signature. Check one or more of those places for unused sprites BTW :p - Anyways, we MK MUGEN kids have come here to TRMK before and been shunned. Hell, some still get shunned here. Anyways, Fly ripped the sprites you seek, check Le@N's site (MKMW) or Simplis MKMP forum. And be nice to the MUGEN guys, sure they want auto combos and Ermac in the Warrior Shrine (HELL! even I secretly want Ermac in the WS! AJAJAJJA) but they arent any diff than other wild idea'd MK kids. You guys are gonna have fans, and they are gonna want crazy stuff, Im just one of em:)

@RantonMalo, Its not mixing MKs, they BOTH are MK1 Kano. He appeared in 2 places, (comic and tradeshows) in it. only once did he wear brown sash in the game. If anything its MK1 kano and MK1.5 Kano.

Well, I think he mean they want to make only costumes from MK1. This costume wasn't included in MK1 anyways..

is there any place I can see more of what didn't make it into the game?
Check first link in my signature.

Last edited: