Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

LOL, Jarvis, why you posted only 3 posts, try with 4.) Much easy then just click "Edit".

i find a guy that made a very good shang tsung that can morph to anyone
And? They have interloko, he can do it himself.

The same way we are doing it, everything for all the characters is built in to Shang. Interloko knows how to do this already.

LOL, Jarvis, why you posted only 3 posts, try with 4.) Much easy then just click "Edit".

Seriously man? Yes I know about editing posts and multi-quoting, in any other thread I would do it, but since this is a project thread and there is a lot to talk about, I think it helps to split the posts into their individual topics. The first one was unnecessarily made, but who actually cares.

I hope Goro and Shang Tsung will have fatalities. At least Goro. When I was a kid and had MK1 on PC, I've lost to Goro 1000 times hoping he would do a gruesome fatalitie to me.... til I've discovered Goro hadn't a fatality :(

Really appreciate the feedback guys. Will fix up everything asap.

Just wanted to post this for the eff of it, but trying to do some sss(subsurface scattering) testing in Maya. Kinda get back in the habit of setting everything up since its been a while:

goro16.jpg

I'm outty for the night, PEACE!!!!

Woah man! ! Sick! It looks like a move promotion poster ! !

gl_v2.png

This one looks freakin sexy. I really want this Lair to stay in game. If this is possible to use 2 versions of this stage (the one is close to arcade as regular and this one for Goro battle) it will be awesome.

Little concept:
1) Scorpion wins over the last guy in endurance. Torches off:
0DpD6.jpg

2) Victory message dissappear, lights goes off, torches off:
9Ub9e.jpg

3) Next moment. Torches on at the same time Kano's body set on fire:
7IxjP.jpg

4) Goro's Lair boss version music starts to play, Goro falling in:
25lI0.jpg

5) Fight!
t7MSR.jpg

gl_v2.png

This one looks freakin sexy. I really want this Lair to stay in game. If this is possible to use 2 versions of this stage (the one is close to arcade as regular and this one for Goro battle) it will be awesome.

Little concept:
1) Scorpion wins over the last guy in endurance. Torches off:
0DpD6.jpg

2) Victory message dissappear, lights goes off, torches off:
9Ub9e.jpg

3) Next moment. Torches on at the same time Kano's body set on fire:
7IxjP.jpg

4) Goro's Lair boss version music starts to play, Goro falling in:
25lI0.jpg

5) Fight!
t7MSR.jpg

Hmmm . . Brilliant idea. .

Vetalfox, it's a really cool idea, but the problem is that we can't change the lighting of the sprites to match the change in background lighting. Why the Lair is being redone is because the torch-lit stage was simply too dark for the characters to look natural within, especially with the variations in lighting it caused. Same sprites must be used for every stage, so basically you'd have a change from moonlight to torchlight, but the sprites wouldn't change along with it like you've done in your mock up.

Jarvis, actually you can. All you must to do is add 1 full black layer above everything (except lifebart, text and torche's fire) and set transparency to 50% - this will do the lighting change effect for the level and all sprites (fighters included).

Here is the psd as example

I can do the moonlight too if you need this.

EDIT: experimented with the "lighting" a little, i think this one is better (notice that this is not 100% black, this one is dark dark orange/brown):
link

Last edited:
Jarvis, actually you can. All you must to do is add 1 full black layer above everything (except lifebart, text and torche's fire) and set transparency to 50% - this will do the lighting change effect for the level and all sprites (fighters included).

Adding a black transparent layer will not be enough to represent either the stage or the characters in a torch-lit environment. Badmouse's lighting for the previous version took time and skill to create, same as Bleed's character lighting, and a black layer certainly cannot match that. Mugen has its limitations, and personally I don't how we could implement an idea like this in a natural way.

jarvis, ok, it is possible to create more complex lighting with the layers, even animated to represent actual fire, it's need time, but it is possible. Of course this will not be proper 3D lighting, but good enough result is possible.

It doesn't matter how complex of a layer it is. That overlay would still not change the baked in lighting of the sprites and stages, it would just be mixing with them. For a realistic torch-lit representation, it requires a complete second version of the stage and sprites, specifically created to imitate that environment. You can't just throw something over it to create that effect.

The second stage is basicly recolor of the first one, the only thing that is different it require torchlight effect. Same with characters. The transparency + alt palletes + parralax should do the trick. Of course, as i said before, this will not be 100% realistic, cause you need 3D to do this, but we don't need 100% realistic effect, we need a good imitation of this.

The second stage is basicly recolor of the first one, the only thing that is different it require torchlight effect. Same with characters. The transparency + alt palletes + parralax should do the trick. Of course, as i said before, this will not be 100% realistic, cause you need 3D to do this, but we don't need 100% realistic effect, we need a good imitation of this.

Actually, you don't need 3D. This is all 2D in this video. I am not suggesting this be done. I like what we have currently. Just posting on principle.

Justin, this is exactly what i mean, this is a good 2D imitation of 3D effect. Just couldn't find good video as you did.
As far as i concern, 2d per pixel lighting can be done 2 ways - graphic or programming, at least guys did it in c++ and gamemaker engines

BUT, other stages use way more simple shadows effect (as i understand just static images, or did i miss something?) and Goro's Lair need to be done the same way = just extra layers and maybe pallettes (as i did in concept arts).

Last edited:
jarvis:

With regards to the animation, the reason I used those two particular examples is because they are both sprite-based fighters with smooth animation. Frankly KI probably doesn't have as smooth animation as SF3, but in 1994 it was significantly smoother than its competitors. In any event, both games have more frames of animation than most 2D fighters (SF3 in particular), and my point was that

A) if MKHD animations have a similar framerate to animations in these games, it will already look infinitely smoother and more realistic than the original game, and
B) SF3 in particular makes very good use of variable framerate and many other animation principles, which are every bit as applicable on a game like the one we're making.

I did not bring up MK9 for a very simple reason; it uses 3D graphics and skeletal animation that can tween, blend and interpolate in all kinds of ways - exactly the type of luxuries any 2D game will have to do without. I chose to omit it in my previous post for the sake of brevity, but one caveat for my argument that 60fps animation can lead to this kind of issue is if there was some way to blend animations more naturally; like say if technological limitations was not a factor, you could have different startup animations for every attack depending on which frame of the idle/crouching/walking/etc animation you were in when you performed the move, and that would certainly make things look really seamless. But needless to say something like that isn't feasible.

One could also make the argument that the speed and general nature of the game affects what kind of stuff you can get away with - a game like Marvel Vs. Capcom or, indeed, Killer Instinct, has more leeway since the are very frantic, and have more of an outlandishly cartoony style where sudden transitions between different attacks don't look out of place. MK1 on the other hand has much more of a slow, methodic feel, where I feel any animation transitions are going to be more obvious.

I don't think it makes a huge difference either way. It's more or less speculation at this point; neither of us has anything concrete to back up any claims, and at the end of the day it's pretty much subjective anyway. From my perspective I just want to do what I can to make sure that the animation (like the game in general) looks as good as it can with what we have to work with. If there's a limit to how many frames of animation can be used, I hope much care goes into choosing which frames are included, since that's just as important as how many. SF3 has smooth animation, but in the grand scheme of things it's still within strict limitations, and they employed lots of expertise to get as much mileage as possible out of what they had to work with. That's why I think it could be a valuable resource to study, not necessarily to use the animations and movements themselves as reference (though that wouldn't be a bad idea either, to a certain extent).

What I personally had in mind for the fatality stuff isn't any major changes or overhauls. Just some details like Sub-Zero's victim somehow reacting to him tugging on their head, or a specific animation for falling over after Kano's fatality so that the transition isn't so jarring, that sort of thing (an actual hole in the victim's chest wouldn't be a bad thing either, for that matter). The animations themselves don't have be elaborate at all, what I'm after is just that feeling that every piece of animation in a given fatality feels like it was more or less tailor made for that specific fatality. Kung Lao's splitting in half fatality in MK2 is a great example of this quality, and it's precisely for that reason that I've always been very fond of it. In contrast most fatalities in UMK3 look awful because the animation of the victim is so lazy.