Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

Could it be that you just haven't become accustomed to the new sound FX? I'm not 100% in disagreement with you here, I'm just playing devils advocate. My feeling is that thus far the new sounds, if too similar are pointlessly remade if not similar enough, lack nostalgia factor. It's different with the music where I'm hearing a marked improvement. Those are my thoughts on the subject anyway.

Its nice to see people realize it won't be arcade perfect. Like others have stated, even emulators are not. SNES and SG versions sucked IMO, but we all loved those also. This is MUGEN, if the countless other MK projects have shown us anything, it cannot be 1:1 gameplay. The good thing is its MK1, and its a small game. The characters are similiar. So it should be "easy" :p Another thing to remember is hitboxes. Can they be duplicated 1:1? Anyways from what Ive seen, I would agree this project is head and shoulders above the rest. Hell, I cant think of a single MK Mugen that had its own soundtrack created. It is fresh and original. A real renaissance of MK Mugen.

Having said that, I dont see why it cant be better than the original. not by adding auto-kombos etc, but just by being able to pull off the old combos and maybe there will be a nuance or two of its own that will be new and fresh. My question is, will it be opensource? Will us players and noobs and fans be able to add to this much like MKP4.1? Can we fans make our own Ermac MK1s, etc.? Or will it be moleboxed and closed?

I dont think changing the sound effects is a good idea. For the same reason not to change the voices. The music is sounding wonderful, and the imagery is awesome. Its all so fresh and new. I thinking keeping with the old sounds and voices will give that nastalgic feeling and not alienate your player to far from the source. And no offense, but I just dont care for the current sound FX attempts.

Could it be that you just haven't become accustomed to the new sound FX? I'm not 100% in disagreement with you here, I'm just playing devils advocate. My feeling is that thus far the new sounds, if too similar are pointlessly remade if not similar enough, lack nostalgia factor. It's different with the music where I'm hearing a marked improvement. Those are my thoughts on the subject anyway.

This is an incredibly good point. I think it is something you guys should discuss and come to a decision on. I've worked pretty hard on finding that balance between nostalgic and not nostalgic enough, but if there just isn't a desire to "HDize" the sound effects, then I'll step aside. I'm not trying to impose here.

But I must say that my own stance on the issue is, if all the visuals and the soundtrack is being updated why leave the sound effects out? If the answer is simply "nostalgia" then I see no difference in saying that the pixelated graphics are "nostalgic." Where do you draw the line?

Just my opinion.

I think it'd also help to hear them in context in the game. I think sometimes it's hard to imagine how a sound would work until you see it with the visual. I still think it'd be worth it so most of the sound effects wont sound "muddy" compared to the music. I thought it was fine to draw the line with the voices keeping those original though.

Last edited:
I think it'd also help to hear them in context in the game. I think sometimes it's hard to imagine how a sound would work until you see it with the visual. I still think it'd be worth it so most of the sound effects wont sound "muddy" compared to the music. I thought it was fine to draw the line with the voices keeping those original though.

I think hearing them in-game is a good call.

I can totally see drawing the line regarding original voices. But like I said, the want for new sound effects seems iffy at best, and while I personally can't understand wanting to keep all those old sounds when everything else is getting an update, I don't want to impose the sounds where they are just not wanted.

You can't please everybody and I don't think you can get it perfect. Close enough so it sounds like it is fine, doesn't have to be exact.

Nothing we are doing is exact, but very close.

In regards to the sounds, I also agree that Calactyte makes a good point. But it doesn't mean we can't try, and find that balance between nostalgia and a worthwhile update. IMO the more we make this project our own, the better. At the moment Justin has no other responsibilities to the project, and if he enjoys doing this then there is no reason why we should outright say that we won't be using remade sounds.

And to be completely honest, if I knew some excellent (volunteer) voice actors, and was willing to spend $ to upgrade my gear, I would even try redoing the voices. If those two things happen later down the line (which is doubtful unfortunately), I may still try it. To me, it doesn't matter if something isn't used, because whether it is or isn't, there's a lesson to be learnt from it. Those lessons can be beneficial later in the project if someone else would like to have a crack at it. And if not, at least we tried.

Personally it's important for me that everything that can be done is done, successful or not. That kind of mentality encourages a lot more advancement IMO than having no confidence in certain things to begin with. I almost feel like had this project not been started, people would've said it couldn't be made. The huge progress here is clearly proving otherwise.

I have to admit before this project I had my doubts that a cohesive true to the original MUGEN based project could be made. Although it still remains to be seen if the whole thing will be doable and how it'll come out. No offense to all the great work that has already been done.... I think what has been done so far is going well for the most part.

http://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/af239/MUGENKombat/templeshrine2.jpg

Nice dragons on the flags. I guess the MUGEN Kombat Forum ( www.MUGENKombat.tk ) will be represented at the tournament at least. :p

About the sound effects. I agree with all the responses. So far there has only been like 3 and we havent heard them in game. So it remains to be seen how they will turn out. The music is nailing it IMO. So if I could play devils advocate, if you remake sound effects, why not voices. I would at that ponit remake everything, and use nothing original. It would seem silly to use just one "item" form originals. Also Mugen 1.1 has zooming. now while im fully aware MK1 didnt have zooming, but I have to wonder, could it be utilized at all?

I hope TRMK knows how lucky they are.

I have to admit before this project I had my doubts that a cohesive true to the original MUGEN based project could be made. Although it still remains to be seen if the whole thing will be doable and how it'll come out. No offense to all the great work that has already been done.... I think what has been done so far is going well for the most part.

The amount of great work thus far is enough to convince me that, with dedication and perseverance, it can be done. As long as people have the right mentality towards it and are not rushing anything, or stressing themselves out. Of course it shouldn't take forever, if at some point members are beginning to grow tired of it and their progress is diminishing, their amount of effort should be respected and not pushed to the point of frustration.

As well as trying to maintain a high standard of quality, we should try to maintain fun and friendship in doing it. Otherwise it will surely fall apart. When there is no incentive of money, projects like this are much more vulnerable to failure. Basically, we need to enjoy doing this to keep doing it. If we do our best and have a great experience, the end result will reflect that.

Last edited:
The music is nailing it IMO. So if I could play devils advocate, if you remake sound effects, why not voices. I would at that ponit remake everything, and use nothing original. It would seem silly to use just one "item" form originals. Also Mugen 1.1 has zooming. now while im fully aware MK1 didnt have zooming, but I have to wonder, could it be utilized at all?

I think zooming would be more appropriate if we where doing a KI or Samurai Showdown remake to be honest. One thing I can think of is perhaps during fatalities it can do some zooming to see a bigger view of the HD graphics although I think it's unnecessary.

Also I'm sure they are open to remakes of the voices provided the new ones are close enough to the original. Like if someone found some volunteer voice actors who sounded like Boon and Co. who did the original voices. (Scorpion's GET OVER HERE is Boon's voice for example.. he even voiced him in the first MK movie).

Last edited:
@tremor I don't think Zbrush is really the best program for environments. You can do it, sure, but I suggest you look into Maya or 3dsMax. Just my opinion though, definitely go with what you're comfortable with.

I felt like playing some MK1 tonight. I did and it reminded me... there's one thing in MK1 that I would like to see fixed in the HD Remix. In Sub-Zero's spine rip certain faces like when he does it to his mirror match or Scorpion the face looks distorted. This was probably due to limitations of the time but I would like to know if it's possible to now fix it.

For the most part, the sculpt is finished. Let me know if anything stands out so I can fix asap:

goro14.jpg

goro15.jpg

the longer legs looked better before, but i would hear a few peoples opinions first so theres no time going back and forth changing the legs. I saw the proportions from the other post its just the way it translates to the model looks strange.

I'm impressed by the face although I think his muscles could use more detail and or a bit more wrinkles\chiselling especially around the feet. I think his face looks kind of more detailed than his body as it is now.

Yeah, and a lot has to do with pose and lighting and all that great stuff. Will drop him into Maya and work on the rigging and whatnot. Personally, I would love the longer legs since there is all kind of things wrong with this build physically. Dude will basically look like an infant walking carrying all that bulk on his tiny feet.

I'm impressed by the face although I think his muscles could use more detail and or a bit more wrinkles\chiselling especially around the feet. I think his face looks kind of more detailed than his body as it is now.
I agree 100%. I also think the wraps on the leg are a bit high.