Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

BTW, if you exploit the glitches in the game much combo possibilities open up. Such as...

and

Dial-a combos and such have no place in this project. Also since this project is when you come down to it going to be in a different engine coded by basically blindly reverse engineering the original game (we don't have access to the source code) you wont get all the glitches\characteristics of the original game either way. In fact that's hard to do even wiht emulation. There'll be a whole other set of glitches that can be exploited thusly enabling more or different sets of juggle combos. It all depends on your skill\timing. I bet you people will end up finding infinites and such.

On the other hand there are many combo videos posted are contrived or done via cheats or older versions of the game where it's more possible and aren't practical in normal gameplay.

Last edited:
For the most part, you are right AntrAcsA. My model has smaller chest, torso, and head and longer legs. But tetsu also made a good point, the reference is leaning forward so his head and chest proportions are larger. I did do a quick mock up though with the 3d model being closer to the clay. Appreciate both you guys' help:
goro13.jpg

I gotta say your update feels much more classic now. Well done, man! Are the colors/texture temps?

Last edited:
Why dont you guys do the ending images with the text only, it will be quicker, you will just have to add the image later, do it and later show us the result with the hd screen and font :) thank you guys and sorry if i am putting you under pressure

Minus the character images, it is already done, I posted most of the screens I made when I joined the project. Elements of them have been corrected since then though, plus I recently updated the background texture to make it more upscale-friendly, so they will all be posted again as soon as I finish.

As far as gameplay is concerned, this is MK1. Not UMK1, not MK1 Turbo, but as close to MK1 rev 5.0 as we can get. All things considered that is, like the AR change to 16:9, the implications of new sprites, and an imitation of gameplay rather than actual source code. This game will be different no matter what, but as with everything else, the key is to at least make it feel like MK1. The "Remix" title of the project implies it will not be Arcade Perfect, it will be a new experience that is reminiscent of MK1. Faithful graphics, sound, and gameplay will create that illusion.

Having said all that, if this project is a success, and I believe it will be, perhaps later down the line we can create a crazier kind of MK1 with elements that were not in the original. Although I would prefer to work on MK2 instead of that personally.

To be honest with you my personal preference for a crazy version would only be moderately crazy pretty much only adding in what I talked about earlier with a few more special moves to a secret character and a new(ish) character or two. Much like UMK3 compared to MK3. Although I wouldn't go so far as to make Reptile playable or the bosses such as in MKT. Bosses aren't meant to be played as and IMO don't work well when played as either. Neither are secret characters but at least they share most of their moves with the normal characters. But yeah before MK3 weren't treated as full fledged player characters when you come down to it just an extra challenge.

Showing some restraint and good judgement when it comes to it is a good thing IMO.

I see those totally crazy MK Projects for MUGEN and I actually don't like them very much. Especially when they mix sprites of varying vintage.. to a degree I didn't like that in MKT either where they hacked the old sprites to add in dial-a combos and things like that. It makes things feel unprofessional when you just mash stuff together with little thought to how well it works together or the gameplay or whatever. Even just having totally original graphics and sounds puts this head and shoulders above most average MUGEN projects in my eyes though.

Also I would say the key is to at least attempt to make it feel like MK1 becuase as noted simply being coded in a new engine with new graphics, etc. without access to the original source code will make it different than the original.

Last edited:
smoke.tetsu, MKP 4.1 is crap...the 5.1 or the Ultimate MK3 of Le@n is just like the arcade. reactions, speed, everything. So i think interloko can make very close to arcade reactions.

smoke.tetsu, MKP 4.1 is crap...the 5.1 or the Ultimate MK3 of Le@n is just like the arcade. reactions, speed, everything. So i think interloko can make very close to arcade reactions.

Really? You think Le@n's UMK3 is just like the arcade?

I could give you a laundry list of things that are wrong with this versus the arcade. Not that it's bad, but it's nothing like the original. I've seen (and played) interloko's work, if you think Le@n is good IL blows him out of the water.

I've seen some unflattering videos of it in regards to gameplay where the gameplay doesn't look good to me such as:
but also some not so bad ones. And some of their graphics work looks pretty good especially when one does certain old fatalities on newer characaters such as Kung Lao's hat split.

I actually like some of their retrofitting of certain things like fatalities to be more like MK2 as I never liked the one size fits all dismembering in the fatalities in MK3 where the body stays facing the screen and parts of the arms stay floating by the sides of the torso and things like that.

I preferred for example when someone gets decapitated in the previous games how they would fall to their knees... shake and then fall rather than just face the screen and stay standing with no head. That's one thing I wouldn't cry if in the UMK3 remake they didn't keep (the way the bodies dismembered in the arcade MK3).

But yeah this sort of thing needs to be done carefully although for the most part I think the MK1 HD Remix is going down the right path.

Also there is at least one more thing I didn't like about the arcade and that's most of the time the CPU AI especially in UMK3. Although that's been covered many times here before. The AI in MK1 wasn't too bad though although I realize some here may find it too easy. I think they probably modified the AI In UMK3 because people found the standard MK3 AI to be too easy. :p But for an HD remix I'd like to think something better could be come up with especially since the goal now isn't to munch your quarters.

Last edited:
I don't like the AI in the classic MK games at all, it's terrible on purpose. I'd rather implement some techniques you see in tournament videos and combo demonstrations.

I'm sure he can make it close enough to the arcade in general. But it's still an imitation, and with new sprites and different AR. So people shouldn't set their expectations too high, like I said I'm sure it will turn out great but anybody expecting max accuracy is not going to find it. The project is what it is, just as the original had limitations, we also have limitations. But I still believe it has the potential to be a benchmark for fanmade fighting games.

Tiago, did you like Mortal Kombat 1? If not, then you won't like this game. I hope that answers your questions about adding combos or changing the gameplay. It's not something we'e aiming for.

No wait bleed sorry ! In mortal kombat 1, just a question bleed will you add regular combos? please men say yes, because it is shitty to just do a spear or freeze and do a upercut! you can have a 5 hit for each character and a 10 hit, it would be excelent. Mk1 and Mk2 where just boring because i cant just do my combinations with atacks like 2 punches, spear, roundhouse kick! You know what i am talking about! Just add a little sugar to the game, it wont change anything, trust me

[EDIT] to sub zero, Bleed listen, give him the ability to freeze two times, because if you freeze your enemy, if you freeze it again the freezed one will be you, and i dont realy like it at all do like your character but without clones

LOL Tiago,

Slow down buddy. I understand you are excited but people are doing this with their spare time and putting tons of work into it at that. You will see progress when they are ready to show you progress and not because you've asked to see it. It's pointless to pressure anyone about delivering this stuff sooner than they intend to.

Why dont you guys do the ending images with the text only, it will be quicker, you will just have to add the image later, do it and later show us the result with the hd screen and font :) thank you guys and sorry if i am putting you under pressure

OK, peoples

This is starting to come off topic so let's stop to post MKP videos, game play, kombos, etc.

we have a long road to drive out so let's continue doing this in out free time.

The MK1HD is coming very well so we don't need go faster. just keep the good level :)

peace and beers!

I'm sure he can make it close enough to the arcade in general. But it's still an imitation, and with new sprites and different AR. So people shouldn't set their expectations too high, like I said I'm sure it will turn out great but anybody expecting max accuracy is not going to find it. The project is what it is, just as the original had limitations, we also have limitations. But I still believe it has the potential to be a benchmark for fanmade fighting games.

Yeah, and also to be honest as a player I wouldn't worry about combos just yet. Especially since we haven't seen how it'll play. Since it is an imitation and such like I said it'll probably have a different set of characteristics to it so it may be possible to find different\better combos than what was originally possible in the arcade anyway. I also think it's already a benchmark simply because it has 100% non-borowed graphics in it.

OK, peoples

This is starting to come off topic so let's stop to post MKP videos, game play, kombos, etc.

we have a long road to drive out so let's continue doing this in out free time.

The MK1HD is coming very well so we don't need go faster. just keep the good level :)

peace and beers!

Yes, I'm sorry for helping make it off topic. I just posted some "kombo" videos to show MK1 isn't necessarily as limited as Tiago was saying.

Its nice to see people realize it won't be arcade perfect. Like others have stated, even emulators are not. SNES and SG versions sucked IMO, but we all loved those also. This is MUGEN, if the countless other MK projects have shown us anything, it cannot be 1:1 gameplay. The good thing is its MK1, and its a small game. The characters are similiar. So it should be "easy" :p Another thing to remember is hitboxes. Can they be duplicated 1:1? Anyways from what Ive seen, I would agree this project is head and shoulders above the rest. Hell, I cant think of a single MK Mugen that had its own soundtrack created. It is fresh and original. A real renaissance of MK Mugen.

Having said that, I dont see why it cant be better than the original. not by adding auto-kombos etc, but just by being able to pull off the old combos and maybe there will be a nuance or two of its own that will be new and fresh. My question is, will it be opensource? Will us players and noobs and fans be able to add to this much like MKP4.1? Can we fans make our own Ermac MK1s, etc.? Or will it be moleboxed and closed?

I dont think changing the sound effects is a good idea. For the same reason not to change the voices. The music is sounding wonderful, and the imagery is awesome. Its all so fresh and new. I thinking keeping with the old sounds and voices will give that nastalgic feeling and not alienate your player to far from the source. And no offense, but I just dont care for the current sound FX attempts.

P.S. Badmouse = RantonMalo. Co-Creator of MK Project. I just thought some might like to know here.

I personally didn't love the 16-bit home versions of them. I just didn't have any other choice back then. :p I literally have no loyalty to those versions and upgraded to better versions as soon as I could get my hands on them.

Last edited: