Best Video Game you have ever played and why

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

I love every Metal Gear game. From the SNES games to Peacewalker. But no game from the MGS series or elsewhere will ever hold a candle to this game in my opinion. From the jungle setting, to the stealth aspect that made the MGS games revolutionary, to the amazing story of Big Boss and the beginning of Foxhound. This game not only added on to the story of MGS, but created the foundation of everything Metal Gear. I was blessed to be born during one of the best video game eras (The 90's) which housed two of the greatest systems of my generation. My other favorites have to be from this era if I really think about it. MGS1, Super Mario 64, Starfox 64, Banjo Kazooie, and of course Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time.

Without a shadow of a doubt, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. No game has ever been able to speak to my sense of adventure and wonder or been able to engross me so much as this game did when I first played it. I've never had such a hard time putting the controller down and snap out of the fantasy and back into reality again. This game is arguably the best game ever made. Period.

MK 1, 2 and 9 are most definitely in my top-games-of-all-times list but none of them come even close to the all round amazing experience OoT is.

The first three Silent Hill games are in that list too, obviously for very different reasons than OoT, but they had a huge impact on me and I do love my horror.

Wow, what a question.

There have been many, many truly great games over the years.

If I had to pick one, I would say Secret of Mana (SNES). Final Fantasy VII (PS1) comes a very close second.

EDIT: The Why....well Secret of Mana had everything. Amazing graphics (for the time), great musical score, loved the characters, felt you could engage with them, a MASSIVE array of customisation in weapons, armour, spells...you could roam the world, fighting random monsters, amazing bosses. FF pretty much the same reasons. If I had played FF VII before SOM, I would have probably placed that first. Square are truly the masters of the RPG.

By referencing SoM and FFVII and Square as the masters of the RPG, you make me really curious what you thought of FFVI...

this is a tough question to answer as I really cant pick just one so Ill make a impromptu best games I have ever played thread. In no particular order

2. Defender Of The Crown (NES) - Kinda like a advanced game of Risk. Its one of those games that you can play multiple times since each game game can play out differently

Big points for mentioning Defender of the Crown, but I didn't know there was a NES version... I thought the original was PC only. Also, did you know about the little-known PS2 remake where they turned Robin Hood into the main character? They dumbed down the difficulty so a strategy game noob like me can actually beat it. I thought that was pretty cool... even though the idea of Robin trying to conquer England seemed silly at best..

ok mk2 and 3. i didnt really get into mk until mk2 was out. mk1 was great but i like how there was more characters and like more everything in the next 2 mks.

the old resident evil games. (re0,1,2,3,cvx) these games at the time were very scary and that was one of the things i look for in a game. the story and atmosphere were epic. now they lowered the series to some action shooting game rather than a survival horror.

metal gear solid 3 snake eater. i swear i just might give this game a 10 out of 10. the whole game was great. the story, the gameplay and everything else.

ninja gaiden 2 the dark sword of chaos. one of the greatest nes games and THE greates ninja gaiden game. i liked the boss fights alot, the bosses were cool themselves. i always liked the storyline between levels. this game had epic music. still love the music in ng2. level designs for this time were great to.

doom, doom2, final doom. i cant just choose 1 of those because there all great. i was like 9 or 10 when i played the first doom and that was like THE scary game your kids could not be allowed to play back then. it was satanic, full of death, and scary. i was like wow! the gameplay stayed the same in doom1,2, and final doom. i liked the monsters in the game too. i also liked the music in the doom games. again these dooms are probably a 10 out of 10 for me. doom > cod

and well theres more i want to post but i have to go. ill finish later.

Last edited:
gonna have to add another to the list, and that's Star Fox 64

I have played through that game so many times over the years and it still never gets old. Something no other game has ever done for me. The game defined replay value. Controlls were just perfect, makes any other flying game feel inferior, even Star Wars rogue squadron cant compete with Starfox 64's smooth flying. And the alternate routes give even more depth to it. And making it an arcade style game is what makes it so great. If they gave the option for you to save, then the game would be nowhere as good and it would be missing the replay value that it strives on.

and the voices may be cheezy at times, but I pretty much remember ever line from it.

Must admit, this one is a doosy :/

as someone's said before: there's too many out there, especially to narrow down to one.

I think left 4 dead requires some mention purely because its shown me a kind of co op experience that i hadn't really seen before in a game. i mean yea fine you've got stuff like halo with team based games in which require team work but i mean in l4d, if you dont work togeather and save each other when required to, everybody dies. and its a concept i like and keeps bringing me back to the game, even after nearly two years after l4d2 came out.

I also grew up with classics like doom and crash bandicoot and mario 64 so all of those are timeless classics, as is Legend of zelda ocarina of time. (fine ive played and completed a billion times over but its still amazing)
Mass effect's story leaves me wanting to know what happens next, as does quite alot of the ff games.
and my god the ending to red dead redemption was emotional. ack, list is endless >.<

yep, too difficult to nail to one definitive all time best game ever.

Tough question. There is no one best game, IMO, there are too many amazing games out there just to narrow it down to one. But anyways, here's my picks:

Super Smash Bros.
Pokemon Colosseum
Metroid Prime
Sonic Mega Collection
Viewtiful Joe
Sonic Adventure 2
Soul Calibur II
Tony Hawk's Underground
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
Mortal Kombat 2
Pokemon Emerald along with every other Pokemon game in the series except Battle Revolution
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Super Mario 64
Dragon Ball Z: Budokai
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour
Mario Power Tennis
Mario Kart: Double Dash
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
Sonic Heroes
Resident Evil 4
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Sonic Adventure
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Mortal Kombat 4
Mortal Kombat: Deception- (Konquest mode mostly)
Splinter Cell- (the GC version)
Kirby Air Ride
Mortal Kombat 1
Mario Kart 64
F-Zero GX
Star Fox Adventures
Codename: Kids Next Door: Operation V.I.D.E.O.G.A.M.E.
The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy
Ed, Edd n Eddy: The Mis Ed-ventures

Last edited:
Fallout 3 is my favorite EVER (previously mentioned by me)
But I have two more to add to make it a top 3.

Tony Hawk's underground 2.. I won't even explain. I'm a skateboarder and I just loved it so much. Pure perfection for me.
Mortal Kombat Trilogy.. I put more hours into that game than all hours in every MK game I played combined. 4-5 years of playing it about twice a day, everyday. You can't f*ck with that.

EDIT:Damn me to hell, I can't believe I forgot Ratchet and Clank.
I have played them all starting from 1 to Crack in time. I'm a huge nerd for R&C.

Last edited:
Resident Evil (PS1) is the best game I have ever played. I am an RE nut because of that game and I have so many great memories! It was the first game I played that was like a movie. I still play it every once in a while. Good times and Chris Redfield <3

Resident Evil (PS1) is the best game I have ever played. I am an RE nut because of that game and I have so many great memories! It was the first game I played that was like a movie. I still play it every once in a while. Good times and Chris Redfield <3

I love RE1. Its amazing. I really like the REmake but RE1 just has this certain charm to it. It holds a place in my heart like RE3 does.

Big points for mentioning Defender of the Crown, but I didn't know there was a NES version... I thought the original was PC only. Also, did you know about the little-known PS2 remake where they turned Robin Hood into the main character? They dumbed down the difficulty so a strategy game noob like me can actually beat it. I thought that was pretty cool... even though the idea of Robin trying to conquer England seemed silly at best..

The NES version is pretty much exactly like the PC version but with crappier graphics and sound. I have heard of the PS2 Robin Hood game but have never played it

Mortal Kombat 4 ~ I have no idea why. The graphics are shit, the characters are basically all the same and the endings are some of the worst in the series. But I can seriously play this game for hours on end. I love it so much and when someone mentions favorite game, this is the first thing to come to my mind.

Just Cause 2 ~ From my constant shameless promotion on these forums to my nonstop recommendations to friends, my everlasting quest to make the most underrated game of all time known grows stronger each day. I have 72 hours of gameplay in my profile, and I'm 56% complete. Massive doesn't even begin to describe this game. The fun is limitless and the characters are hilarious. The sheer beauty of the sunrises, thunderstorms, tropical beaches and breathtaking scenic mountains is enough to make a gamer shed a single tear.

Mario Kart Double Dash/Smash Bros. Melee ~ I honestly cannot tell how many days, not just hours, days, I have played these games with family and friends. The huge amount of unlockable content and the nonstop fun kept us going till we passed out from lack of sleep. I put these two together because they were just equally important to my youth.

Tekken 2, 3 & 5 ~ My second favorite fighting series, I cannot express my love for Tekken (mainly King) with mere words. I've never followed the story, but damn is this series fun.

Soul Calibur II: The game that introduced me to the Soul Calibur series and what a way to do it. Lot's of moves to remember, when and how to use them. Wonderful soundtrack, characters and lot's of modes. The weapon master mode I played non-stop until I finished it with mainly Nightmare.

Doom: The best FPS on the market, the spiritual successor of Wolfenstein 3-D. A bunch of mindless shooting action but with some very great level design and to also discover secrets on each level on my own was like a high to me.

images

Resident Evil 4, I think this is my ALL TIME MOST FAVORITE.
This one gets a bad rap and a lot of RE fans didn't like it. But I thought it was the best one for sure. It was so action packed and creepy, violent, and fun. Leon is my favorite RE hero. I love how sarcastic and friendly he is. I don't agree with people, how they can say the "tank" controls are better. I just don't get it. And how the Ganados aren't zombies, they are infected. Give me a break, they are much cooler zombies, and are scarier than regular zombies.

Those people can take their zombie terminology and jam it where the sun don't shine. People forget that the term Zombi, came from voodoo myth, and was mind/ soul control and not the undead. Even so, the thought of having a parasite inside you that was trying to control your mind was even scarier than any zombie threat would pose.

I also don't get why people didn't like the parts with Ashley. They were so tense and fun. The one part in the castle where she turns cranks and you fight off the Illuminados, was brilliant and a real challenge. The Los Illuniados, chanting was the creepiest thing ever.

Now that I am done ranting.... my most favorite thing about that game is when the Ganados glitch and don't fall over right away when you blow their heads off. They walk around headless, and blood squirts out of their necks for a good ten seconds while they walk in circles. This only happens before the Plagas are revealed after crossing the lake, after Leon's hallucination. A cool easter egg can be found at this part too. After Leon passes out, you can get the boat, and go back across the lake to see a cut scene with 2 infected dogs changing into the Pagas. Also, before the lake fight, if you go down and shoot the water near the shore, the lake monster comes out and eats you. A great "pants pooping" moment.

Speaking of the lake, the alligator fish thing, dragging Leon around the lake was so epic. Even the quick time event at the end was awesome.

The best scare, OH SHIT moment I have ever had in a game was in this game too. When you free Ashley, and fight off the horde in the old house with Luis, after that you get to go either right or left. If you go left, you go into this crude maze and the chainsaw wielding Bella Sister jumps out screaming. When this happened I almost pooped and then was brutally decapitated. That is the best most memorable gaming moment I can recall. It was great! I also liked how if you killed a Ganado holding dynamite, his body would blow up shortly after making him into a pink mist, and knocking back everything else around him. Getting multiple head shots with one shot, from an upgraded gun was so thrilling too. I could go on for paragraphs and hours about this game.

Fun Fact:
Did you know all of the chainsaw head decaps in the Wii version have been slightly censored?

Watch this at 1:37, they moved the frame down slightly, to obscure the wound on Leon's neck:

The other thing I loved about this game was how the money carried over, and getting the handcannon and Chi-Town typewriter. By a few playthroughs you were so overpowered it wasn't funny. I used to be able to do a speed run in that game in under 5 hours, start to finish, no saving, no breaks, beginning to end.

I have owned 2 iterations of this game, on Gamecube and Wii, 3 copies of the GC, bought another copy, and now have a back up in case anything happens to it. I can't wait for the HD version of this to come out on Xbox live. I can't wait.

Last edited:
It is a toss up between Half-Life 2 and Shenmue....

Shenmue was so magical for me, so memorable. The way it played and felt. It was something special. With the FREE (Full Reactive Eyes Entertainment) gameplay. The story that made you feel something, the aspect of actually working for a job. Playing the old school SEGA games. It just felt immersed in a virtual world. They had a great simple fight system (originally this was supposed to be a Virtua Fighter spin off?). The way the games weather and time changed. The QTE was brilliant. Even when you had to go to work and drive a forklift! I loved it. The music the scenery, the characters everything! It just blew my mind. I remember being awestruck from the very beginning, and just being happy and intrigued with this game all throughout.

...and of course....

I check every couple months for Shenmue III details....