Next MK Movie?

soulja786

I know this has probably been discussed before, but I couldn't find a thread around :p. Soo... I was thinking, shouldn't they be working on a MK movie? I mean there have been MK movies in the past, which werent that big. But now with technology, computer graphics and all I'm sure they could make a cool adaptation and with this kind of a video game sequels would be great :)

I mean just look at the mini series that were released just recentley... awesome!

What do you guys think?

I am guessing, If at all a movie should be released, it would be a sequel to MK:Legacy, at Legacy deals with the backstories of characters before the MK 1 tournament. The cast too is great for the most part having actors who are genuine martial artists. However if at all they want the movie to click, they need to bring in the fantasy elements from the game and stray away from realism. MK isnt Mk without it.

Yeh, but MK Legacy was a mini series. tbh, I think they should leave it at that, and expand on the mini series. As for the movie, I think its time for a reboot of the old movies.
I wouldnt say having all the characters in 1 movie, but thats where I said a sequel would be great as you can introduce other characters into it ...

I agree with the fantasy part, but some people prefer the realism and some the fantasy. I would swing more to the realism side, I.e. the Raiden episode in the Legacy series was awesome, and could build up to something great :)

All MK fans prefer a fantasy movie, because Mortal Kombat was always fantasy. It never was realistic, the only people who would like a very realistic MK would be the new fans, this is the main reason i prefer the old MK movie over the new MK legacy series
@tesusjits i saw that trailer , it is mk legacy and mk legacy is not that good compared to mk 1 movie

Last edited:
I just want to say the guy who was lui kang in those movies would make a great shang now lol. He's getting old and I think he can pull the look.

That would be lol.

As long as the fighting isn't as cheesey.

Last time I heard of a new MK movie being made the sets got thrashed by the hurricanes around southern part of the US and they weren't able to make it. I don't remember the details but that's what I remember.

Robin shou? what a great actor, it would be so awesome if they make a new movie and he makes a cameo, he was in the new street fighter movie so im sure he would be down for it.

With legacys success i expected a movie to follow up after a season 2, ed boon mentioned on almost every interview that they are trying hard to get a new movie going, and with legacy and the mk9 success i was positive a movie would be announced already.

I got your answer, its all in this article

http://http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/02/mortal-kombat-lawsuit/

Basically WB was going to reboot the movie as soon as they bought the franchise but this lawsuit is keeping that from happening. It could be years before this gets resolved and we see mk on the big screen again. Its ashame cause now would've been a perfect time to bring it back....if done right.

Edit: For some reason the link may not work but thats basically the rundown of whats going on. If you google mortal kombat movie lawsuit, its easy to find.

Last edited:
Supposely there are 3 lawsuits about the movie rights against WB but wb already won the first one, two more to go, i wish they would take care of that issue soon, now that MK is shinning i'm sure they will make a load of money on a new movie with a decent budget.

Nooooooo one but me will make a new MK movie. I know everything there is about it and I am an aspiring movie director. No one kould do it better than me. So, I actually hope that there won't be a new movie. :)

@ Solid Sheik - Yes, MK fans will prefer a fantasy based film (I would love to see one too). But think about it, which type of film would bring more success to the film, fantasy based (where the film can be judged very quickly based on the graphics and quality) whereas a mix of fantasy and realism would reach a wider audience and get hit by less criticism?? Dont you think...

That was just a trailer the director made as a joke with no real intention of making it into a movie. This however later caught interest of WB and hence we got the MK leagacy series.

lol I think the director did have an intention of making a proper movie ... approached WB, they said no to a movie but yes to a mini series?