why were the Lin Kuei pissed on in this game?

SPOILERS
I loved most of MK9 but the one thing that bugged me about the story mode was the Lin Kuei's role and how it was completely changed. In MK 1 they sent ONE assassin, Sub Zero, to kill Shang Tsung, and then they did the same thing with Sub Zero's brother in II. I don't understand why this game had them working for the Shang Tsung and Shoa Khan. It makes no sense as Raiden had pointed out.

I think making the Lin Kuei allied with Khan just ruins their appeal, not to mention Sub Zero's ending where he just killed everyone in the Lin Kuei. The original storyline was way cooler and the Lin Kuei were interesting cause they had their own goals, not just to be Shao Khans *****es. There really is no explaination why the Lin Kuei's role changed in this timeline. Anyone else agree?

As far as the storyline goes, Sub Zero (Bi Han) was invited to the tournament by Shang Tsung and also at the same hired by a someone to assasinate him as well.

Also the Lin Kuei are a band of assasins that work for people in return for payment. So its natural for them to work under the orders of their clients. I dont think the Lin Kuei had its own goals (other than creating cyber warriors) even in the original timeline, as there was someone who hired Sub Zero to assasinate Shang Tsung.

Also the reason Kuai Liang entered the tournament was to find out about his brother's death which was his own personal goal rather than the clan's.

I dont know, so much things about MK9 story doesnt make sense, why would you serve a guy that will destroy your planet? makes no sense.

Um... because lets look at the chances shall we?

You own a major assassin organization...

You know for a fact that earth is about to lose to Outworld with them having 9 consecutive losses against them. The 10th suppose to allow their absorption of earthrealm.

In the mind of a greedy person. you side with the winning side. So when they do take over earth realm. Perhaps shao khan will leave you alone for helping him achieve his goal. ect ect...

Sort of a StarScreen move how he always jumps sides to the winning team.

'As far as the storyline goes, Sub Zero (Bi Han) was invited to the tournament by Shang Tsung and also at the same hired by a someone to assasinate him as well.'
(sorry I don't know how to do quotes)

This is true but the ending of Sub Zero (younger), was that he was also sent to assassinate Shang Tsung just like the first Sub Zero. Just because he was invited by Shang Tsung doesn't mean anything. Raiden in the first game was also 'rumored to received a personal invitation by Shang Tsung.' In Sub Zero's MK II ending it states that the Lin Kuei again sent him to kill Tsung, so they clearly were not working for him at any point. The storyline has always had the Lin Kuei trying to kill Tsung and it makes no sense that they just changed it.

The argument that it makes some sense for them to help Outworld but still it wasn't what the original story was.
http://www.mortalkombatonline.com/content/games/mk2/

I guess you could say its an alternate timeline but Raiden didn't get his vision until just before the tournament so something must have changed before that.

Last edited:
yeah they did mix the timing of things.

Subzero/Smoke problem was suppose to happen after the second tournament. not during it. So I can see your point. But the new storyline is cannon so oh well? lol

The change in plot was probably for easier access to telling the story/giving variety in early game match ups.

Yeah I noticed that too. The whole Cyborg Lin Keui didn't happen till after II yet they moved it up to during it. I guess there just going to blame every mistake they made on the 'alternate timeline' thing, even if events had nothing to do with Raiden's vision and were not changed at all.

Eitherways, I like the MK9 storyline much better even though it wasn't adhering strictly to the original events. So yea, not really much to complain about lol.

eh, there were a few other things I didn't like. I think the Lin kuei were much cooler before, and the chances of Sub Zero becoming grandmaster in this timeline seem unlikely since Sub zero now hates the Lin Kuei and the Lin Kuei are also just another one of Shoa Khans lackeys

eh, there were a few other things I didn't like. I think the Lin kuei were much cooler before, and the chances of Sub Zero becoming grandmaster in this timeline seem unlikely since Sub zero now hates the Lin Kuei and the Lin Kuei are also just another one of Shoa Khans lackeys
Sub Zero hated the lin kuei in the original timeline as well. During the events of MK3, he left his clan in disgust and sided with Raiden and the forces of light to defeat Shao Kahn. After the events of MK4, he challenged Sektor, who was the grandmaster of Lin Kuei and defeated him. Thats how Sub Zero became the grandmaster in the original timeline.

Nothing really was known about the activities of the Lin Kuei in the original timeline other than the cyber initiative. Perhaps they had sided with Kahn, which could a reason why Sub Zero left the clan.

Last edited:
'Nothing really was known about the activities of the Lin Kuei in the original timeline other than the cyber initiative. Perhaps they had sided with Kahn, which could a reason why Sub Zero left the clan. '

Thats one reason why I liked the Lin Kuei, they were mysterious and little was known about them. When I mentioned that this timeline it is unlikely for Sub Zero to become grandmaster I was referring to his ending where he and Scorpion band together to basically eliminate the clan. It's pretty clear in his ending that he never will be leader of the clan.

Sadly, that ending isnt canon, as Sub Zero is dead (cyber form) as per the story mode. I think that ending could either have been a throwback to the orginal Fire and Ice idea or a hint that they maybe working on a new action/adventure game featuring Scorpion and Sub Zero.

I just thought of something. Why would Quan Chi want Scorpion to kill Sub Zero anyway? Scorpion served Quan Chi who was on Shang Tsung's side, so technically Scorpion and Sub Zero were both fighting for Outworld in the new timeline. So why would Quan Chi want Sub Zero to die? If I were Tsung I'd be pissed at Quan Chi since it's one less Outrealm warrior.

Last edited:
it's because Quan Chi wants to form an netherrealm army with the best warriors. Scorpion was human before Quan Chi killed him, so he could serve him in the netherrealm (netherrealm = hell, for bad guys like Hanzo Hasashi :)). So Quan Chi's plan was also to kill Sub-Zero (who was reborn as Noob Saibot in the netherrealm) so he can serve him too.