Is MKAK too hard?

Re: Is MKAK TOO hard?

The difficulty's exactly the same as it was in the arcade. I plowed through each game on my first try with no problem. You just have to know how to exploit the AI.

It took me 40 mins to beat Shao Kahn with Human Smoke in UMK3. About MK2, I couldn't pass the 6th fighter.

mk2 was hard. it should have given you a gold trophy to beat mk2. i beat mk1 and umk3 with not near as much trouble. shang tsung was rediculas lol. (in mk2)

The difficulty's exactly the same as it was in the arcade. I plowed through each game on my first try with no problem. You just have to know how to exploit the AI.

Ding! Ding!

These games were made to take your money. Learn the AI patterns and exploit them.

It's not that hard if you remember how you beat the game back in the day... patterns :)
but something else... is it me or are brutalities and "mercy" and some moves not there anymore?
They screwed up some inputs too. I think I remember them being different cuz in my emulators they are different and they are arcade ports so... anyways like Mileena's Sai burst in MK2: used to be B, F, HK now it's HOLD HP 2 SECS, WTF!!! And Kano (UMK3) didn't he have like this eye laser move before? (not his fatality) and his roll is now HOLD LP 3 SEC ;(... 3 SEC!!! totally screws up my back in the day combo's pfff. Feel free to correct me on this cuz I could be totally off.

Needed: specifics to make an Animality work (like don't block or win using only low punch or something)
Needed: Update on missing/altered moves.
Question: Is Mileena unlockable in UMK3?

That's it for now, lol. Thx in advance!!! :)

Ding! Ding!

These games were made to take your money. Learn the AI patterns and exploit them.

Exactly most people seem to be used to the home versions which had different or tweaked AI, the arcade itself was always more difficult and the exact same can be said for the emulated arcade ports. The same tricks I've known before still work on this without a problem.

It's not that hard if you remember how you beat the game back in the day... patterns :)
but something else... is it me or are brutalities and "mercy" and some moves not there anymore?
They screwed up some inputs too. I think I remember them being different cuz in my emulators they are different and they are arcade ports so... anyways like Mileena's Sai burst in MK2: used to be B, F, HK now it's HOLD HP 2 SECS, WTF!!! And Kano (UMK3) didn't he have like this eye laser move before? (not his fatality) and his roll is now HOLD LP 3 SEC ;(... 3 SEC!!! totally screws up my back in the day combo's pfff. Feel free to correct me on this cuz I could be totally off.

Needed: specifics to make an Animality work (like don't block or win using only low punch or something)
Needed: Update on missing/altered moves.
Question: Is Mileena unlockable in UMK3?

That's it for now, lol. Thx in advance!!! :)

Your memory is just off Mileena's moves are the same they always have been in MK2. No moves changed here, they are the same the arcade always was. Check out the moves pages here, they are the same as in-game.

http://www.trmk.org/games/ultimate_mortal_kombat_3/moves

To do an Animality you need to do a Mercy first. Mercys can only be done in Round 3. To do it: Hold RUN, D, D, D, Release RUN from far away. Then win again and do the Animality. Some are not close but one step away.

Everyone is unlockable in UMK3, just need to enter the UKK on the game over screen. This page will help you with that:

http://www.trmk.org/games/ultimate_mortal_kombat_3/faq

Yo Patrick... :) I stand corrected but thanks for everything, bro.
You're a lifesaver.
Yeah, trying memorizing all MK's move lists could get screwy one day, lol.
Again, thanks for da info!!!

One more thing... Brutalities? No more? :(

Last edited:

I whooped it. I even had to comple MK1 & MK2 twice because the achievements glitched (so annoying). Just the 200 wins to grind now.

Tip... Be cheap....very cheap!

I beat MK2 with Reptile with absolutely no problem. You just have to know the AI patterns. And spamming fan lift with Kitana in MK2 ALWAYS works.

I am sure I am not the only one raging....I remember the arcade games being a challenge but I don't remember them being THIS hard. It's like no matter what you do, the computer always has a cheap counter....and the females, wow, cheaper than EVER. I don't know if they make them tougher just because they are females but it is just ridiculous.

I finished MK1 a few days ago, after spending like 40 minutes against Shang Tsung alone. The bastard would always morph into either Raiden or Kano. My MK1 and MK2 main is Raiden, and even being cheap as hell as a last resort didn't make the game any easier. I would torpedo, Shang would block it, and then as I was bouncing back in the air after being blocked, he would shoot his fireballs or do Kano's cannonball and I would get owned.

In MK2, Kitana is just fan throw after fan throw. When you jump, she throws her fans or does her damn fan lift and punch. I got to Shang Tsung (finally) last night and he was cheap, couldn't beat him, so I rage quit.

UMK3, jesus christ, I got to the endurance round and was facing Sub-Zero and Stryker. Sub-Zero was easy because he's stupid and just kept doing his shower so I would jump in and combo his ass to hell. Stryker, on the other hand, would just throw bombs every single time I jumped at him, and when I would run at him, he would just throw me before I could even throw a punch, it was ridiculous.

In each one of these games, the characters spam like mad....and dumb shit happens like I did my torpedo against Kitana and she caught me, and then another time, she just kicked me midway through my torpedo.

There is such a thing as TOO HARD and that takes a bit of the fun away, imo. I don't want a game I can beat in 5 minutes, and I enjoy a challenge, but when it is harder than it needs to be and the characters are all cheap spammers, it gets so frustrating and lame.

I am sure I will finish MK2 and UMK3, but I don't doubt I will be ripping things apart in my apartment due to rage.

You aren't. I raged plenty of times with MK2 and UMK3, but I did end up beating them. Wanna trade? I'll do MK2 and UMK3 for you and you do MK1 for me? I've already figured out (from classicmk.com and ultimatemk.com) how to cheap out the characters in UMK3 and i've already figured out the patterns on the MK2 guys, i've just never played it before so I don't know what to do against the characters, much less Goro who is pretty daunting.

I've beaten them all on normal(wanted to kick myself that I didn't went earlier to the options menu).
MK1
After getting my ass handed by Goro in MK1, I've decided to beat him with Sub-Zero(ice freeze and upper cut+ repeat) and got double flawless victory with Liu Kang over Shang Tsung by spaming the "flying kick" move.
MK2
Kitana and Mileena were a pain, but I decided to beat them with Mileena by spamming the "teleport kick" and sweeping them.
Got Kintaro in the corner with Sub Zero and started pressing the LP like a mad man!
Shao Khan was very easy with Mileena, just do "teleport kick" for the whole match, he block's it
but doesn't attack, that's how you take his life little by little.
UMK3
Didn't get Jade on my ladder, so I can't tell you a strategy.
I kept jumping and running around Motaro with Scorpion.Jumped towards him with HP and when landing kept pressing HP, so I can get one of the combos started, but there was no need.
If you keep jumping around him and pressing the HP you can get double flawless victory.
Shao Khan was easy with Sub Zero (ice blast and upper cut+ repeat).

So, If someone still hasn't got the trophies/achievements for the arcades.There are my strategies.:)

I am sure I am not the only one raging....I remember the arcade games being a challenge but I don't remember them being THIS hard. It's like no matter what you do, the computer always has a cheap counter....and the females, wow, cheaper than EVER. I don't know if they make them tougher just because they are females but it is just ridiculous.

I finished MK1 a few days ago, after spending like 40 minutes against Shang Tsung alone. The bastard would always morph into either Raiden or Kano. My MK1 and MK2 main is Raiden, and even being cheap as hell as a last resort didn't make the game any easier. I would torpedo, Shang would block it, and then as I was bouncing back in the air after being blocked, he would shoot his fireballs or do Kano's cannonball and I would get owned.

In MK2, Kitana is just fan throw after fan throw. When you jump, she throws her fans or does her damn fan lift and punch. I got to Shang Tsung (finally) last night and he was cheap, couldn't beat him, so I rage quit.

UMK3, jesus christ, I got to the endurance round and was facing Sub-Zero and Stryker. Sub-Zero was easy because he's stupid and just kept doing his shower so I would jump in and combo his ass to hell. Stryker, on the other hand, would just throw bombs every single time I jumped at him, and when I would run at him, he would just throw me before I could even throw a punch, it was ridiculous.

In each one of these games, the characters spam like mad....and dumb shit happens like I did my torpedo against Kitana and she caught me, and then another time, she just kicked me midway through my torpedo.

There is such a thing as TOO HARD and that takes a bit of the fun away, imo. I don't want a game I can beat in 5 minutes, and I enjoy a challenge, but when it is harder than it needs to be and the characters are all cheap spammers, it gets so frustrating and lame.

I am sure I will finish MK2 and UMK3, but I don't doubt I will be ripping things apart in my apartment due to rage.

you think you had shang bad on mk1. i was sub zero and i would slide to get close to him and he kept turning into goro... and blocking like an a******.
on umk3 i picked smoke at the "E" fight and murdered sub and stryker. idk what it was but theyre just too dumb to block that spear.

ok i hear most of you talking about how you should figure out the ai's pattern and just repeat the same thing. that doesnt always work for me. i found i had to mix it up a bit. but really the only advice i can give is dont screw up at all or youre dead. especially after like the 5th guy.(MK2)

Yo Patrick... :) I stand corrected but thanks for everything, bro.
You're a lifesaver.
Yeah, trying memorizing all MK's move lists could get screwy one day, lol.
Again, thanks for da info!!!

One more thing... Brutalities? No more? :(

Brutalities were never in UMK3, that was I believe a MK Trilogy addition.

As for difficulty, for those who never played the arcade version this is exactly how hard the arcade versions were. MK1 is pretty straightforward, Kano is still the rage inducing bitznich I remembered him as. Goro is simple enough to beat, but if he gets a hold of you his grab and punch takes like 50% of your lifebar. Shang will juggle your ass with a double or triple fireball if you jump back, but if you manage to get him in a corner un-morphed you can pummel him and he wont attack you.

UMK3 can be a challenge against certain characters. I mainly use Sektor and teleport-kick or jumpkick-teleport-kick my way through most of the ladder. Motaro can be beat easy with Scorpion. Just get in his face and do his basic combo, even if Motaro blocks it will to chip damage. He will usually get a hit or two in on you, but I managed to double flawless on him a couple times last night. Shao Kahn is easy enough if you can get a hit on him, which is sometimes easier said than done. If he gets you in the corner you might as well set the controller down and wait for the round to end. I've been pretty successful using Scorpion and doing uppercut-run-lp-lp-spear-uppercut-rinse-repeat. He'll block the two LPs but not the spear if you do it fast enough.

MK 2 is what is making me rage the most. I know there are patterns but I don't know/remember most of them since my arcade experience with MK2 was almost exclusively VS mode. For people who are accustomed to the console versions where "very easy" allowed you to more or less uppercut all the way to Shao Kahn, it's quite the eye opener. I wouldn't be surprised if the rumored patch dealt with that since it seems to be a point of concern with a lot of people, but yes it is a very accurate portrayal of MK 2 arcade. That game sucked your quarters with no regard for man or beast.

There are brutalities in UMK3. Its only on the SNES I believe...wasen't in the arcades. Not sure if it was on the Sega Genesis.

These games are difficult. It took me forever to beat MK1. And that was after switching to Sub-Zero and doing the cheap freeze uppercut on Goro. I can barely make it halfway through the ladder on MK2 and I havent even bothered on UMK3 single player yet.

UMK3 is considerably more forgiving than MK2. I seem to remember back in the day arcade operators were a little upset at Midway because MK2 got significantly less single player buys than MK1 because the AI was so brutal. MK3/UMK3 had patterns that were a little easier to figure out and master, not that there weren't still characters that turned the cheapness up to 11 (Jade).

That's surprising for me to read because I tend to beat MK2 much more easily than I can beat UMK3. In fact I did just that tonight.... and not even doing much in the way of cheap patterns. Although obviously since I've been playing MK2 since it first came out and I've always played it more religiously than UMK3 I have a lot more practice with it. So even now that I'm a little rusty on both I beat MK2 a lot easier than UMK3.

If anything because of characters like Jade in UMK3 I find it a lot less forgiving than MK2. Ironically the only characters that I found turned up the cheapness to 11 in MK2 was also the secret characters and one of them was Jade.... who was a lot faster than normal and could pass through projectiles even there.

I used to think Kintaro was the toughest boss ever but then I figured out what he's vulnerable to which you can do with any character (well timed jump kicks) or certain moves like Raiden's teleport and round kick.

Anyway it seems around here single player didn't matter too much to the local arcade operator because at the time almost everyone was playing versus against each other and not so much single player. At one point it was impossible to play single player because someone was always challenging you. At least during the peak of popularity.

Last edited:

I never played MK1 much in the arcades, but MKII and UMK3 have always had a cheap, broken AI. After the first fight in MKII, you get thrown any time the CPU is close and it's pretty common to get thrown to death n UMK3.

Here are some patterns for UMK3:

Use Scorpion or Human Smoke. Hit the computer with a Spear, then you their HP,HP,HK,B+HK combo to knock them across the screen. When they're on the ground, do a sweep and they should (not always, but most of the time) jump back and run in when they land. While they're jumping backwards, tap the movements for another Spear and they should run into it. Hit them with the same 4-hit ground combo, and repeat until you beat them.

This doesn't work perfectly every time, but you can get to the end fairly easily. Jade will sometimes do her Projectile invinsibility move and get you with a string. Nightwolf likes to do his reflect, and it won't reflect Spears, but it still resets your pattern.

You can do something similar with Reptile. Knock them across the screen, then sweep and throw a Slow Forceball (while they're jumping back) and they'll either run into the Forceball or jump it. If they run into it, you can do a juggle combo, but you need to knock them back to keep the pattern, so it's easiest to just Roundhouse them back to the other side of the screen and restart the pattern. If they jump the Forceball, you can try to Roundhouse them, and a lot of times they'll land on the Forceball. It's a tricky pattern and takes a lot of practice to get the timing right, but I use it more than anything against the computer and can usually get to the Endurance Rounds on the Master tower without continuing.