Is MKAK too hard?

MKAK is retard hard, and I hate the fact that you can only get an easy win by exploiting the game.

They should have not even allowed you to change the difficulty, since it's pointless. I had the Midway Arcade Treasures collection for Ps2, and it came with MK2 and MK3. I could actually comfortably beat MK3, but UMK3 is a massacre.

I saw it coming that the difficulty would be stupid again, so I bought the game only for online play, and MK1. MK1 is still really fun to play but I usually just restart once I lose. No point in going through hell. Video games are meant to be fun, not to get you angry.

Like Jade said, I like a challenge, but this is outrageous.

UMK3's the most challenging for me, I can't pass the Motaro battle.

The easiest way to beat Motaro on the hardest difficulty in UMK3 is the be Scorpion or Human Smoke. Keep doing air teleport punches and he tries to punch you while spinning (when teleport punch is blocked) and keep repeating until dead or time runs out.

MK:AK was for the most part the same as the OG trilogies has always been for me: MK1 is a piece of cake, MK2 is hard when I get to shang tsung(its like he could look into my thoughts and read what im gonna do next). UMK3 gets hard when I fight Jade or get to shao kahn's cheap ass.

but i got most of the trophys in a day or two. Only one I cant get is animality trophy for some reason. lol

Believe it or not, changing the difficulty does actually have an effect in these games. Basically, it controls how many fights up the ladder you get before the AI starts aerating your junk with metal cleats. In MK2, "normal" difficulty waits about 3 matches before the unholy carnage begins, so "easy" should add a couple more with "hard" obviously taking some away.

I know that isn't helpful in any practical sense, but yeah, there is an effect. It might vary a bit in MK1 and 3, though; I'm more familiar with the AI in MK2.

I like how the games were made to were you could only win the whole arcade ladder by practice and knowledge of how to trick each individual computer with a certain character. It may have taken me have a day when I first got MK2 to find the computers' weaknesses but it was totally worth the time. The MK arcade games are not for button mashers or those who just try to use the special moves alone. Just cause you know the specials, doesn't mean you'll win. Honestly, there are some specials that you'll never need to use against the computers, save them for multiplayer or just forget it ever existed.

I like how the games were made to were you could only win the whole arcade ladder by practice and knowledge of how to trick each individual computer with a certain character. It may have taken me have a day when I first got MK2 to find the computers' weaknesses but it was totally worth the time. The MK arcade games are not for button mashers or those who just try to use the special moves alone. Just cause you know the specials, doesn't mean you'll win. Honestly, there are some specials that you'll never need to use against the computers, save them for multiplayer or just forget it ever existed.

MK arcade games were not made that way on purpose. Its basic fighting game programming that the computer reacts to you moves everytime. These games were programmed to take your money.

I know people go on about these games but some of the arcade versions of SF2 are just as hard. Harder in my opinion. I can beat them on the SNES but the arcade versions are crazy hard.

MK arcade games were not made that way on purpose. Its basic fighting game programming that the computer reacts to you moves everytime. These games were programmed to take your money.

I know people go on about these games but some of the arcade versions of SF2 are just as hard. Harder in my opinion. I can beat them on the SNES but the arcade versions are crazy hard.

It just gets under my skin because arcade versions of games like Tekken Tag Tournament and Marvel vs Capcom 2 are actually beatable, lol.

It just gets under my skin because arcade versions of games like Tekken Tag Tournament and Marvel vs Capcom 2 are actually beatable, lol.

But MK games were made during the times arcades were popular. So you have to remember when you lost in that fight, you have to insert more coins in. MK was a money eater..

Those games were made during times. So of course it's easier. Most of the games I played on arcade are harder than the console fighting games. TBH, that's a weird comparison.

But MK games were made during the times arcades were popular. So you have to remember when you lost in that fight, you have to insert more coins in. MK was a money eater..

Those games were made during times. So of course it's easier. Most of the games I played on arcade are harder than the console fighting games. TBH, that's a weird comparison.

This exactly. I think some point during the 90's it clicked that games that were that hard were not that fun plus programming took a few advances. Tekkens always been easy on the arcade with the exception of the first one. Never played Marvel at the arcade so I can't comment but the console version is piss easy.

Fighting games been that hard is stupid, not fun and counter productive. May they stay easy and let the real challenge be humans.

I've notice if the difficulty is on normal on mk2 in the first match you can just duck and kill your opponent with either low punch or a uppercut, if you change the difficulty to hard then when you try this technique by ducking and either uppercutting or low punching the computer will just throw you.

forgive me if this has been said already but you can do the duck and jump back trick on mk2 and the ai will pause a brief second the jump over to you where you can get a free hit.

I have played the games mostly in consoles (and pc the first), and then again in emulators, the firt two at least. However I remember that the upgrades of MK 3 were, or seemed easier than the original, especially MKT. Plus, if I remember right, consoles had game over, up until MK4, arcades didn't I think. That was frustating!!! You had to start from the beggining!!!!!

forgive me if this has been said already but you can do the duck and jump back trick on mk2 and the ai will pause a brief second the jump over to you where you can get a free hit.

That only works with certain male characters. It doesn't work with the females ninjas, Liu Kang and Raiden. If you try it with these characters the computer will just throw a projectile for you to land on. For Kung Lao, it only works like 25% of the time.

it works for me with all characters including the females, secret characters etc. used the trick in the arcade and on arcade kollection

I love this classic trilogy but I agree, this is ridiculously hard.

MK1:
MK1 is pretty simple and straight forward. I mess around with other characters but I main with Sub-Zero. Endurance isn't too bad. Just takes a few tries unless I'm lucky. Now Goro is simple. I have an exploit with Sub-Zero. You can easily get a double flawless on him. What I do is I avoid his attacks untill he's open for a hit. When that happens, freeze him then uppercut. The second you uppercut, instantly freeze again and he'll be frozen before he can even move again. Then just repeat. It kinda of makes me miss the challenge. lol Shang Tsung is a prick. I normally duck most of the time and wait for opportunities to freeze. If he morphs in to Goro then I grin devilishly.

MKII:
Sadly in MKII, I find Sub-Zero worthless. I just can't do anything with him. The AI avoids your freeze 99.9% of the time. I usually main with Baraka and Raiden. Either one is good but I've only managed to beat Kahn with Raiden by spamming the torpedo moves consistantly. My strategy for Kintaro is a little crude. It doesn't matter who I chose because I can't find a good method with specials. What I do is I constantly try for drop kicks. Usually, he'll try his super uppercut when you do this but there's a way you can jump over his fist and land the kick. Its a matter of placement.

UMK3:
UMK3 makes MK3 feel like cake. I find myself able to use any character I desire in this game which is why I really love UMK3. The first couple fights are very simple. Then it skips straight to impossible difficulty. I cringe when I see Jade next up on the ladder. I've watched videos of experts playing the game on the hardest difficulty but I can never be that good. Its ridiculous to know what the best move to do is within a split second before the AI rapes you anally.

So I usually main with Sub-Zero and have the best luck with him. Everyone else I feel significantly less confident with. Sadly, I find Kabal's dash to be as useless in UMK3 as Sub-Zero's freeze in MKII. My method with defeating Motaro is cheaply spamming Sheeva's stomp. Even if he blocks, it does a fair bit of damage. This worked best in MKT for me but not in UMK3 for some reason. However, I just leap in the air with a punch and land wih my best Sub-Zero combo to take down Motaro. Like the stomp method, even if he blocks, it works if your persistent. Kahn is a lot easier this time. It doesn't really matter who I use here. I duck, wait for his upward charge, uppercut, sprint and uppercut or combo before he gets back up. You could also freeze before he gets back up as Sub-Zero which helps too.

Anyways, it is a lot harder than I remember these games to be. I try to watch a lot of videos and read the guides to improve but the AI in this version can see in to the future and exploit your next move so its frustrating. My question is, does anyone know if there's anyway to change the difficulties in MK Arcade Kollection? That would be a huge help. I know MKT had the hidden menu to do so but I couldn't find out if this version of UMK3 has it or not.

But good luck to anyone else ripping their hairs out lol

Last edited:
Pfft ... I beat all the Arcade MK Games all the time on Medium on a regular basis. True they're hard, but not nearly as much once you settle on a Favorite Character and develop a solid strategy for each game. The only one I cannot beat is the Master II Tower in UMK3 because of the 3-Man Endurance, but I will eventually...

Oh and about MKAK, it's the same amount of difficulty as normal for me and MK. IMHO, the DOS version of MKII is MUCH harder than the Arcade! Still beatable though...

Pfft ... I beat all the Arcade MK Games all the time on Medium on a regular basis. True they're hard, but not nearly as much once you settle on a Favorite Character and develop a solid strategy for each game. The only one I cannot beat is the Master II Tower in UMK3 because of the 3-Man Endurance, but I will eventually...

Oh and about MKAK, it's the same amount of difficulty as normal for me and MK. IMHO, the DOS version of MKII is MUCH harder than the Arcade! Still beatable though...

Is there a way to change the difficulty for UMK3? I know MKT had the hidden menu to do so.

it works for me with all characters including the females, secret characters etc. used the trick in the arcade and on arcade kollection

Which Revision of the Game? The version I play is Revision 3.1. I think 3.1 is what MKAK uses and the other arcade ports on home consoles.

I can't help but think just how much of a whinny baby everyone is when they finally play the original MKs thinking it'll be like the new ones and complain "It's too hard" or "This game is impossible". If the game was really impossible do you think it would have even gotten released? It maybe be hard, but not impossible. The programming is different but the key is patience and practice. I figured out how to play MK2 on the hardest difficulty without any continues after playing for like 12 hours straight. I know not everyone is dedicated like me when it comes to figuring out how to win against AIs but it's rewarding once you figure it out.

Last edited:
MK:AK was for the most part the same as the OG trilogies has always been for me: MK1 is a piece of cake, MK2 is hard when I get to shang tsung(its like he could look into my thoughts and read what im gonna do next). UMK3 gets hard when I fight Jade or get to shao kahn's cheap ass.

but i got most of the trophys in a day or two. Only one I cant get is animality trophy for some reason. lol

That's because the fatality time is literally like a split second in UMK3. Haha!

MK2 Was always the hardest to me, but I've learned to master it with certain Kharacters over time.

UMK3 is pretty simple, unless Jade's cheap ass shows up on your ladder. If the AI ever wants to be a dick and spam me, I get Reptile and get cheap as well with Acid Orb, uppercut, Acid Orb, uppercut. Or ghostball the hell out of them with Noob.