Is MKAK too hard?

Of course, I did it myself many times as well. It's just annoying for something that is supposed to happen, to not happen.

I found using Liu Kang made MKII ridiculously easy.

Strategy I used:

Flying kick spam like there is no tomorrow while holding LK to charge the bicycle kick.
If they duck your Flying Kick, unleash the bicycle kick.
Sometimes they will get smart and begin blocking your flying kick and uppercutting you. In this case constantly duck. When they get close hit them with a bicycle kick. This even works on Shang Tsung if you time it right. He'll have no room to respond.

Kintaro can be a bit tricky, but the old jump kick, take a few steps back, jump kick strategy works fine here.
As for Shao Kahn... He is a complete joke. Just stand there until he gets near you and low kick him. Rinse and repeat until he dies a shameful death.

I found using Liu Kang made MKII ridiculously easy.

Strategy I used:

Flying kick spam like there is no tomorrow while holding LK to charge the bicycle kick.
If they duck your Flying Kick, unleash the bicycle kick.
Sometimes they will get smart and begin blocking your flying kick and uppercutting you. In this case constantly duck. When they get close hit them with a bicycle kick. This even works on Shang Tsung if you time it right. He'll have no room to respond.

To add on what you said, you can also do jump+air fireball. I don't have MKAK but I play MK2 on MKSM.

I find Mk2 one of the hardest, mk1 is quite tough, now with umk3 when you get too jade, that can be really hard.

I can't defeat Kintaro. Ive tried the steps back/ timed jump kicks, no luck. He grabs me out of the air every time. It's so frustrating to see those youtube videos of "how to beat mk2 kintaro" but its on some other exploitable version of mk2. I've tried to trap him in the corner and punch away, which worked for one round out of fifty. I've pretty much given up at this point. Are there any other possible strategies for beating Kintaro on MKAK that anyone's had luck with that haven't been mentioned here?

EDIT; OK, I finally beat that thundercats reject with Sub-Zero: head to a corner, land a jump kick, freeze him then push him into the corner, LP like crazy until hes dead.
I let out a Howard Dean-esque "YEEEAH!" when I got the achievement for MK2 the FIRST time through, because I had to beat MK1 twice and UMK3 twice, and was expecting to do the same for MK2.
Thanks for the tips. Much respect.

Last edited:
I'm just afraid of finally beating MK2 and not having the achievement pop. I might trash my apartment if that happened.

I beat MK1 for a second time and got both the MK1 Achievement and the Arcade Conqueror Achievement, so I guess it's just a random glitch. I've only heard of it being a problem on MK1 and MKII, tho.

The only Achievement I need now is the 200 win one, but I'd like to know how close I am to that. Is there any way to check your wins, and does anyone know if this is base solely on online wins or can you do it against a second player and/or the CPU?

Many of us who beat MKII did it without achievements as an award at the end.... especially at the arcade or on all previous ports and in MAME ;)

I'm betting that a good many of us have, but that was almost 20 years ago. GET WITH THE TIMES, MAN! =P

MK1 and UMK3 are not that hard in my opinion (when you know how to spam against the bosses) but MK2... oh my god... Kintaro is is the most bad ass boss i´ve ever seen.... you need a lot of luck to beat him...

I just beat Shao Kahn in UMK3 for the 5th time haha.
Fatalities are getting much easier, too.
I was spoiled for a second at Mk9's fatality timer

I can't defeat Kintaro. Ive tried the steps back/ timed jump kicks, no luck. He grabs me out of the air every time. It's so frustrating to see those youtube videos of "how to beat mk2 kintaro" but its on some other exploitable version of mk2.

Unless "some other exploitable version" refers to one of the ports from the pre-Xbox/PS2-era, there's no difference. In any release from recent memory, be it from PSN, MAT2/Shaolin Monks, MAME or MKAK, the game mechanics and AI are exactly the same. These are all original arcade ROMs running on emulators, so the only thing that varies between versions is the quality of the emulation, dude.

I've personally used the jump kick tactic multiple times in this collection, so I'm absolutely positive that it works. If Kintaro is grabbing you out of the air, then either your timing on the kick or the distance you're jumping from isn't right. Both are very specific, but if you nail them, the AI will always attempt to uppercut you and get hit. That said, I haven't tried this with every character in the game yet, so I can't confirm that it works with the entire cast or that some characters don't have slightly different timing. If you haven't already, try the male and female ninjas (they're the only ones I've played with since I downloaded this so far). All you can do is keep at it.

1 Koin was a full clear in mk1, mk2, umk3 for every oldschool mk fan and arcade junkie in general, these games are scripted like no other fighting game, and i loved it that way, it almost felt like art playing MK2 in an arcade lol.You need to know the game and its mechanics inside out to "master it", there is little difference between the arcade difficulty settings in a genuine machine and how the CPU reacts, what most people don't know however is that in a genuine arcade port MK2 choosing p1 or p2 after you insert your koin matters ALOT, the CPU completely changes it's playstyle going from semi-exploitable and very cheap p1 to very fun to play and fully exploitable in a lot of ways (if you know how to) p2.
Mk1 has a very similar exploit with p2 but has a smaller window for you to execute it, you can tell it's almost the same engine/cpu, umk3 has lots of ways, for ex. if you're having trouble choose scorpion on hardest, the cpu reacts universally with either running towards you for a combo/rushdown, that's when you jump back and air throw, the other one is he will just stay there at double sweep range, that's when you jump towards him, air teleport punch before he has a chance to air kick you, you'll juggle him in the air-> spear-> bnb combo.
I still know almost every aspect of all these games from my arcade days, i bet a lot of you do to and it's a very fun experience overall, especially with an arcade stick.
I'm refering strictly to the one true arcade port which is MAME or the original cabinet, mkak is a piece of crap, i won't take anything less than arcade perfect for these games and this compillation basically has no target audience, the oldschool mk fans think it's crap because it isn't arcade perfect, and the new fans have mk9, it's a pretty strong difference and most wouldn't play these games for more than 5 min considering its..let's say "complicated" AI/terrible online etc.
If mame can do it, so can NRS/WB.

Yeah although on the other hand it did take the MAME team over a decade to get it right. ;) It didn't happen overnight or even in a few months or a couple of years.

I ended up beating Kintaro with Baraka by hitting a jump kick, walking *towards him* then hitting another jump kick. If you do it right, Kintaro won't have time to attack and you'll probably get a flawless if he doesn't get the first hit in.

I remember them playing on PC back in 90's. IT WAS NOT so hard on PC, as it was on arcades..although arcades were always set to either Hard or Very Hard, and only owner had access to settings..while PC game if you set to Very Easy, you could easily win every fight just by uppercut.

here, changing difficulty makes no difference.. it sux fur causal players who wanna beat the game in 15 minutes just to remember how ending pictures looks like!