Is MKAK too hard?

Re: Is MKAK TOO hard?

as much as I miss the old games, this is why i didn't get MKAK, i remember being younger and playing MK2 and all the anger and rage i'd get lol. love the games but ya not gonna get a game i most likely couldn't beat lol

this is why i didn't buy MKAK, i also would never play MK1 & i hate UMK3. i bought MK2 over PSN & i'm fine with that.

I finally beat MK1 after a half hour but didn't get the achievement -fcuk it
Went on to MK2 - rage quit
Got to Motaro in UMK3 - fcukin rage quit and vowed to not play it unless there was a patch

Having trouble with MK2 still. MK1 and UMK3 are not much of a problem compared to MK2 >.>.

MK1 is the easiest, UMK3 is harder, but after a few tries you get to beat Kahn (Motaro was easy for me)
But MK2... <_<

I hate seeing the same "they better patch the difficulty" on every page here, so I'm going to reply again.

The CPU difficulty is THE SAME AS IT'S ALWAYS BEEN. They are not going to patch that in a future version, as that would require altering the arcade game code which is not an easy task anymore and would make it different from how it used to be. Every version of these games which are "emulated" all play the same way despite what you may "remember." The home "ports" were much easier than the arcade games because they were ports, not simple emulations of the arcade hardware like we have today.

The patch is going to fix online play and a few other emulation issues like the sound and maybe a few other minor bugs that are present in the game. But the DIFFICULTY WILL NOT BE CHANGED I can promise you that.

Just learn how the CPU reacts to your moves and better your play. I already have a much easier time with the game since it came out on Tuesday because I re-learned what works best and what doesn't. Once you get used to it, the game will feel more like you remembered it before.

I can tell that anyone who is having trouble with these games never really played the coin-ops.

Forget about trying to play for fun and enjoy yourself, when playing against the AI the only way to win is to find what move the AI is vulnerable to and spam the hell out of it.

I learned all my tricks by watching people in the arcades. For example, in MK, you can always flawless Goro with Sub-Zero by uppercutting him, sliding into him, and then freezing him while he is in his getting up animation. It always works and he never has a chance. To beat Shang, just wait for him to morph into Goro and do the same thing.

There are little tricks like this for each game. Forget about doing a bunch of moves and fighting fair. You will never ever win that way. It's all spam all the time to beat the AI and that's just the way the coin-ops were.

I'm glad people are finding that useful :) Thanks Eks!

That video reminds me of something I didn't mention earlier. While these are all running the same game code, there are clearly minor differences in how the code runs. I think MAME and some of the similar projects like this one have a few math conversion/rounding errors which would cause the AI to act SLIGHTLY differently on the emulated hardware.

To me it seems that the MKAK has less of these problems as the jump kick Kintaro trick Terry mentions seems to work less for me with Kintaro on MK2 and he almost always punishes me when I attempt it. But I need to test it further to be sure, but this could explain why some people feel that MKAK is harder than the arcade is supposed to be, when I feel they actually got it right compared to MAME, etc.

Also again Terry, GREAT video it really shows how effective that strategy is.

I'm glad people are finding that useful :) Thanks Eks!

No problem. I used it to beat MKII myself. Now if I can just find an easier way to beat MK1 than spamming jump kicks, I'll be set. I already beat all 3 of the games, but didn't get the Achievement for MK1 and the subsequent one for beating all 3. :(

mk1 is not hard
it was when I was 5, now I'm even getting flawless on goro
umk3 I never played before but I am still doing the combos I did on mk3
mk 2 just use jax the highest tier on the regular fights, subzero on goro and liu kang on shao kahn

I hate seeing the same "they better patch the difficulty" on every page here, so I'm going to reply again.

The CPU difficulty is THE SAME AS IT'S ALWAYS BEEN. They are not going to patch that in a future version, as that would require altering the arcade game code which is not an easy task anymore and would make it different from how it used to be. Every version of these games which are "emulated" all play the same way despite what you may "remember." The home "ports" were much easier than the arcade games because they were ports, not simple emulations of the arcade hardware like we have today.

The patch is going to fix online play and a few other emulation issues like the sound and maybe a few other minor bugs that are present in the game. But the DIFFICULTY WILL NOT BE CHANGED I can promise you that.

Just learn how the CPU reacts to your moves and better your play. I already have a much easier time with the game since it came out on Tuesday because I re-learned what works best and what doesn't. Once you get used to it, the game will feel more like you remembered it before.

Nail on the head Pat, nail on the head. The AI is as hard as it ever was; it's how I remember it for the SNES 100%. Cheap AI mother....

Thank goodness they aloud us to have infinite credit, as it took me 70 or so minute just to beat the novice ladder on UMK3 on medium. Damn Shao Kahn and endurance match (but I found a way to beat it easy by being cheap as hell xD (run, throw, run, throw, ect...)). Oh the anger and rage that was ever present...

I'm pretty sure the difficulty is the same as the arcade version of the game.
Maybe you guys are confusing MKAK with the difficulty of the home console version?

I only played MKAK once in my friends house, I still haven't bought it yet. So I can't really say much about it.

Yes, the arcade was always hard, but the question is, what is the point of changing the difficulty level if it doesn't do anything? I can't seem to find a difference.

I can tell that anyone who is having trouble with these games never really played the coin-ops.

Actually, I have. I played all of them.

I remember MK1 being the most difficult. MK2 was fairly hard. UMK3 was actually easy for me.

I am not saying MKAK is garbage or OMG I HATE ED BOON, WHY THE HELL DID HE MAKE IT SO HARD??? and I am not saying that the coin ops were easy by any means, I am just having some trouble with the arcade kollection, and I am clearly not the only one, as evident in this thread.

I did, however, finally get to Kintaro last night =)

I then rage quit after about an hour.

Tonight is another night :)

Well, I can't speak for everyone....

But I played the coin-ops of MK and MKII extensively when they were out, and I find the AI on MKAK to be spot on. Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending everything they did with this game, I think a lot of it is utter crap. The sounds are terrible, online is worthless, and blah blah blah, I agree with all the comlaints on this game.

However, I find teh difficulty to be exactly what I remember from the arcade. I also worked at an arcade and the coin-ops had difficulty settings in the diagnostic menu. I don't remember specifically, but I don't think they made too much of a difference there either.

Speaking of the diagnostic menu, I'm wondering why they didn't include the original menu. I don't remember a lot of options (except for arcade style options, like how many credits for each token, etc.), but there definitely was a no blood option. I don't know why they removed that.

Anyway, all the tricks I remember from the coin-op are working for me on MKAK. You don't have to use Jax, you can pretty much use anybody once you figure out the timing of jump kicks and leg sweeps. The AI always falls for them if you do them the right way. Except Baraka, I remember he always did his blade fury and it was best to use Raiden and do the superman move in mid-jump (about neck level on Baraka). I always used Shang Tsung with no problems both so I could use this tactic and so I could see any fatality I wanted to. He's also got one of the better jump kicks.

No doubt the difficulty is dead-on from the arcade. I had a feeling when this was announced (by how many people here by admission never played the arcade version of any MK) that there were going to be some interesting threads popping up.

I think it's actually a refreshing change from how games tend to hand-hold you now (even MK9 lets you buy your way past tough challenges), reminds me of how video games used to punish you relentlessly then steal your girlfriend afterwards.

I'm just afraid of finally beating MK2 and not having the achievement pop. I might trash my apartment if that happened.

Many of us who beat MKII did it without achievements as an award at the end.... especially at the arcade or on all previous ports and in MAME ;)