Surprise surprise, the online netcode is utterly abysmal (video).

Jakarta

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2011/08/31/mortal-kombat-arcade-kollection-is-unplayable-online/

If you’re looking to buy the Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection for its online mode, you might want to reconsider your options. This compilation has what is by far the worst netcode out of any fighting game I’ve ever played. It’s somehow worse than The King of Fighters XII’s notoriously awful netcode.

I don’t even know where to begin. The biggest problem is that the game runs at about half the speed no matter what. I played Mortal Kombat II and Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 online and the results were exactly the same. You can’t play it like you normally would for that fact alone. Inputs get dropped and it’s nearly impossible to do moves on reaction. There were moments when I tried jumping and kicking and the jump wouldn’t even register.

It’s completely unplayable. You can only host 1-on-1 lobbies, there is no support for spectating, no replays, or anything like that. You can’t even see the name of your opponent during a match. How is any of this even acceptable? It’s not.

Here’s some footage I just recorded of a match I played online. Ignore the fact that I don’t know what I’m doing (I was Sindel), and pay attention to how slow the game is. That’s what it’s like for every match on PSN. Who knows if the XBLA version is any better. I don’t really want to test my luck, and neither should you.

The Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection is a lazy port that feeds off your nostalgia. If you want a great fighting game with an amazing online mode, get Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike instead. It has 8-player lobbies, a spectator mode, a replay channel, YouTube uploading support, GGPO netcode, and so much more.
Game makes MK9 look competent in comparison. Netherrealms just sucks at online period.

Glad to see they fixed the looping level problem we've had in UMK3 for Xbox Live but wtf @ that lag??

I hope Xbox's version is much better. We never got a patch for UMK3 in 4 years what makes us think we'll get one for this =/

only temporally. your telling me you guys have never played a game with bad online at launch?

it could get fixed or maybe the servers aren't on yet

So far I see two positives:

1. Hidden chars stay unlocked

2. No more looping Scorpion's Level.

But the 1 negative makes these 2 improvements not even matter because its such a down grade from the UMK3 for Xbox Live where you hardly ever got lag, or at least I never did. 4 years waiting for this potential "patch" and we get this.. lmao.. times like this I wish I was a SF fan at least they get their online games right.

This is a damn shame. I was very much looking forward to playing this online. I hope but doubt it'll be that much better for 360(which I have) I went out today and bought a points card just to get this game. I'll probably just get something else and wait to see if they patch it.

only temporally. your telling me you guys have never played a game with bad online at launch?

it could get fixed or maybe the servers aren't on yet

The main selling point of this game was the multiplayer, most people wouldnt buy it otherwise because everyone already had these game on MAME or on their previous consoles. So they failed at making a good online experience, this kollection looks like an easy way to milk gamers of their cash, especially MK fans like me and others on this site

Damn from what I've seen on youtube even in "Friendly Kombat" you can only have a room with 2 people. This really sucks and is a big downgrade from UMK3 xboxlive. I hope I'm wrong. The best part about playing online was having a room full of friends competing with each other and watching each other battle it out. Pissed -_-

The main selling point of this game was the multiplayer, most people wouldnt buy it otherwise because everyone already had these game on MAME or on their previous consoles. So they failed at making a good online experience, this kollection looks like an easy way to milk gamers of their cash, especially MK fans like me and others on this site

but we are all jumping to conclusions because the online is bad the first few HOURS of release so it must be a crap online game forever right?! No that is not true at all! the way the game is at launch may not reflect how it is later down the road (maybe tomorrow when the servers aren't flooded, or when they add more ~ just one of the many possibilities were the online gets fixed soon). What i mean to say is just because the online seems to be broken atm doesn't mean they failed to make a good, seamless, and enjoyable online experience.

but we are all jumping to conclusions because the online is bad the first few HOURS of release so it must be a crap online game forever right?! No that is not true at all! the way the game is at launch may not reflect how it is later down the road (maybe tomorrow when the servers aren't flooded, or when they add more ~ just one of the many possibilities were the online gets fixed soon). What i mean to say is just because the online seems to be broken atm doesn't mean they failed to make a good, seamless, and enjoyable online experience.

Would new lobbies require huge downtime/patch?

Great so they've kept the broken AI AND now we have lag? I was only going to buy this for the online as I miss playing against friends on these older games. FFS. I hope they get the lag fixed. Any hope of that?

I'm going to see how this plays out. I've been waiting 12 years for another PC release and 6 months for this game so I guess I can wait another month for them to release it. Hopefully the network issues have been resolved by then.