Should MK4 have been included along with MK:AK?

Yes, MK4 "sucked" because MKII & UMK3 were so outstanding, but that's no excuse to tell people they can't bash it. Midway went from creating an iconic and really fluid fighting game with its own, unique style to a choppy, ugly fighting game that pandered to the mainstream audience. It doesn't help that it was the "beginning of the end" for the series (bar MK2011).

And I went to one of the MK4 tour stops, so trust me, I'm old enough to appreciate it in its native glory.

MK4 is roughly 2/3 the size of first 3 combined, so yeah, hosting it would've driven the price up, too.

Yes, MK4 "sucked" because MKII & UMK3 were so outstanding, but that's no excuse to tell people they can't bash it. Midway went from creating an iconic and really fluid fighting game with its own, unique style to a choppy, ugly fighting game that pandered to the mainstream audience. It doesn't help that it was the "beginning of the end" for the series (bar MK2011).

And I went to one of the MK4 tour stops, so trust me, I'm old enough to appreciate it in its native glory.

MK4 is roughly 2/3 the size of first 3 combined, so yeah, hosting it would've driven the price up, too.

Yes, thank you.
Just because I hate MK4 doesn't mean that's why It shouldn't be included.
It's because the klassics are the klassics, and MK4 ruined all that was good with Mortal Kombat.
Just thinking about those ugly polygons... ugh.

It was good for its time. It could've been worse... :p

118124217386.png

I've still got MKG for the Dreamcast, and it still looks kinda decent if you play it on a good ol' CRT TV... but that doesn't change my opinion: MK4 doesn't belong with the other 3. It's a different game, part of a different era... same as with MKDA, MKD and MKA. Those 3 belong together.

Lol very true. Is that street fighter??

Indeed. That's Street Fighter EX, if I'm not mistaken.

I do wish it would have been included but would be happy if they eventually do release it as a bonus disc or dlc. But it's got to be the arcade version. When MK4 hit the local arcades I was just starting to stop spending entire days playing. But I do remember loving breaking bones and hearing that loud crack. The bone cracking and stage fatalities are the only thing I really remember. Even though I own the ps1, n64 & dreamcast versions I never play them. It was one game along with Killer Instinct that didn't translate well onto the home systems.

MK 4 isn't as bad as people remember, but emulation issues aside the arcade game was very buggy and it was very easy to crash the game by doing certain moves in certain arenas. I would gather the biggest issue probably is trying to fix that, since right now releasing an arcade perfect version of MK4 would have people raging like nuts over NRS releasing a game that crashes all the time.

If they fix that, I could see MK4 being released as an add-on to MKAK or perhaps a bonus for MK10. In fact, I'd like to see that since as Chopped mentioned, MK4 is a game that did not translate well to home systems since the consoles of the time couldn't handle it.

I expect NRS to re-release a MK4 and MK Mythologies around the time MK10 comes out. The stories will work together.

MK4 should be released in PSN and Xbox Live with or without MK:AK!!! Never played it in a looooong time.

Thank you..weve never had a perfect MK4 Arcade game come out to the home systems so it would be nice if we ended up having one soon and im not talking about MKGold im talking MK4 Revision 3 coming out on the PSN and Xbox Live..I havent played that game in a long time and I would certainly love to see an Arcade perfect DLC or extended disc released for the PSN and Xbox Live

lol. MKAK made it in today's local newspaper.

"The MK Kollection includes the first three arcade games. Now you can rip out all the spines you want in the comfort of your own home."

I wasn't talking so much about the polygons as the horrible animations. They were pretty limited hardware-wise, so the actual graphics are forgivable, IMO. Everybody moves like they're jacked up on crack. Now that I think about it, the sound effects and voices were shit, too. All of it combined to make a really annoying, rather than fun, experience to me.

Everybody touts MKII as being the iconic game of the series (in many ways it is), and UMK3's atmosphere was less "elegant" than MKII's, but MK4's atmosphere was even worse. Fujin's stage (with the big blue face-portal) is another prime example.

I felt that the atmosphere (mainly the music, endings) were much darker and grittier in MK4. It is the game that captured the dark tones of Mortal Kombat the best in my opinion. Also the sound effects were a bit over the top, it contributed a lot to the dark atmosphere which is what MK is mainly about.

Nope. Its not really considered a "heart" of the franchise like the first 3 games are. 1 started it all, and to most, 2 is considered the best. Then 3 kind of evolved things for the first time, plus alot of "first-timers" flocked in on mk3. 4 went a whole different route with new fighters, weapons, and obviously 3d gameplay. im glad its not included personally. but who knows, we may get it later.

Nope. Its not really considered a "heart" of the franchise like the first 3 games are. 1 started it all, and to most, 2 is considered the best. Then 3 kind of evolved things for the first time, plus alot of "first-timers" flocked in on mk3. 4 went a whole different route with new fighters, weapons, and obviously 3d gameplay. im glad its not included personally. but who knows, we may get it later.

The whole idea was that it was an Arcade release so it is included with the first three since they were Arcade releases which is what Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection stands for...it doesnt say "Mortal Kombat Arcade Klassics 1,2,and 3 Kollection" it says Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection meaning any Mortal Kombat Arcade release would be included with this bundle so Mortal Kombat 4 would have had to be included because it was an Arcade release regardless what route it took good or bad small or great from the other 3

I felt that the atmosphere (mainly the music, endings) were much darker and grittier in MK4. It is the game that captured the dark tones of Mortal Kombat the best in my opinion. Also the sound effects were a bit over the top, it contributed a lot to the dark atmosphere which is what MK is mainly about.

Really? "Ay mommy!" and "Toque el piano!" sounds dark to you? :p

MK2 is the darker one, I'd say. The fatals, the music, the oriental/fantasy setting... all contributed to that. MK4 was like MK making fun of itself.

Yes 4 should be included because

1) like it's been said before it WAS at the arcade regardless if it was popular or not
2) The home versions did not do it justice at all they made all the graphics substantially weaker to pander to the PSX and N64 like removing much of the stuff from the backgrounds, cutting the models down from ~2k polygons to less than 1k and lowering the resolution of the textures. Then they did a lazy sloppy job porting that cut down version to the PC where it didn't make use of the then rising 3D accelerator card market.. it only needed a Pentium 133Mhz with no 3D card for crying out loud. Also the lighting broke if you played it with anything but 3Dfx with their GLiDe API.
3)Out of all the original 4 it's the easiest to put into HD and they could more easily include a HD texture pack or some such thing. Nowadays they could even put in the models that where reserved for the pre-rendered cinematics for the PSX\PC versions into the game.

On the other hand if they just used emulation for the kollection I can see why they didn't include 4 because the emulation there is not yet mature the alpha blending doesn't work and other things that make it very glitchy plus many people are having trouble running it on their systems... I can play it ok'ish playing it via 64-bit MAME but again with glitchy graphics that make it look a lot worse than the arcade. In fact playing the other dinky versions is better because at least they get 3D acceleration ironically enough. At this point War Gods in MAME has better emulation than MK4.