Underrated/Underused Characters

Shirayuki Mizore

Anyone can say "Hey! How about I main Sub-Zero? Kung Lao? Raiden?"

But are there people out there like me who main someone because they are underrated or underused?

For example I main Stryker. Partly because he has been my favorite MK character along with Mileena since MK3 because I wanted to be a police officer when I was younger. Anyway, then MK9 came along and I came around to really liking Mileena, making her my main. Stryker didn't appeal to me too much but then after months of Mileena I decided it was time to try someone else. The first person I chose was Strkyer. Why? Because he is BOTH underrated and underused. Now he is my main and I love using him because:

1. He is fun to use
2. He kicks ass
3. When I beat someone I imagine they're like O_O cause they got beat by a Stryker

So what I'm asking is that is there anyone else that enjoys maining an underrated or underused character? I titled the thread both because like for example Jade is underused but definitely not underrated.

Sheeva and Baraka.

I use them because people say they suck.
While they do have their disadvantages, they certainly don't suck.

People only want characters that you can mash buttons with for high combos or characters with easily spammed moves.

I'm not considering trading in either of my mains, but I'm always looking for a good substitute should the need arise. Sektor and Stryker are way up my list for that, and I've also had some luck with Sindel.

I've thought about adding Quan Chi, but I tend to stay clear of characters in the lowest tier because of the sometimes dodgy payoff relative to how much work I've spent on them.

I remember back when mileena was Underused... Now i play so many Mirror matches. even though i win, Its annoying as Fuhhk Being spammed by Kid who doesn't know how to use her =/

I remember back when mileena was Underused... Now i play so many Mirror matches. even though i win, Its annoying as Fuhhk Being spammed by Kid who doesn't know how to use her =/

I have to agree. Mileena was underused in the beginning until everyone realized how badass she was. Which is awesome but suckish at the same time.

me everytime i win as kratos i get hatemessages. I don't know if it's that i'm good (i'm good), or they just genuinely get mad that i beat them with someone as underrated as kratos is.

I have to agree. Mileena was underused in the beginning until everyone realized how badass she was. Which is awesome but suckish at the same time.

Bandwagoners. I still never use Mileena :laugh:

I always did wonder why she wasn't used more at the beginning, though. She can spam AND combo...everyone should've been using her lol.

me everytime i win as kratos i get hatemessages. I don't know if it's that i'm good (i'm good), or they just genuinely get mad that i beat them with someone as underrated as kratos is.

Both, probably. They're pissed you're good enough with a low tier character to beat whatever they've got.

Probably because you used Kratos lol I used to cringe when I got beat by a Freddy online because it just feels weird

Bandwagoners. I still never use Mileena :laugh:

I always did wonder why she wasn't used more at the beginning, though. She can spam AND combo...everyone should've been using her lol.

You douchebag lol I've been using Mileena since the first day it came out and since I first played MK

You douchebag lol I've been using Mileena since the first day it came out and since I first played MK

Well, if it makes you feel any better she used to round out my top 4 back in the day.

And by "back in the day" I mean back when the demo was out :laugh:

Nah, she's alright, I just never got a handle on her.

shang,quan,sindel are the ones i play :)
and cyrax(main)..but im little bit tired of him.
so im dealing with shang almost every day....and good thing is that you dont see allmost at all people playng with him and its fun to play with him.

Last edited:
I would say a majority of the cast below the cyrax row are under used. I am staring to see more Jax action online though. I don't really see to many Dlc characters either.

As for me, I chose my mains cause I like the character and their playstyles meshed with mine. I main sub and kenshi, picking up kitana.

I did once try to do an underrated character, quan chi, cause he was underrated and not used often. While I liked how he played, I just don't like the character. I might pick him up again though.

OP, this is me to a tee. I don't know if its a subconscious tactic or if I like to challenege myself, but my mains are Jade, NW, Sindel, Sheeva and the newly aquired Baraka. The Ninjas hold zero interest for me. NW, is considered quite powerful in this, but I don't see many ppl use him. I've only ever encountered one other good Sindel player. The few that play Jade always tend to be good.

I use baraka, sektor, quan chi, rain, kenshi and scarlet as for underused characters, if anyone doesn't spam on psn add me Rattle_head420

i like to play also with Jade...but i play with her most of the time offline with friends.
If i fo to onlin then i like to win more :D
so i use characters who i know better.
I liked Sindel before more....but i see lately many of them.....and most of them like to spam only.
No combos..... with quan chi is little bit different and shang is nice cause many dont know what to do with him.....and if u can handle fireballs...then you can play with your opponent...and drive him mad :) if u play with character that everybody know...its sometimes harder to win...cause they know all the tools and moments and combos.
When you use Underused Characters then its different thing....not all the time...but sometimes is

Probably Sektor, who is super solid and has no serious flaws I can see. Good zoner, can counter zone, one of the better anti-air attacks, pretty good offense. I'd imagine he matches up well with most of the common top characters, except maybe Raiden and everybody has that problem. He should go close to even with Kitana, Reptile, Cyrax, Cage, Kabal, Sub-Zero, even Kung Lao shouldn't be too bad.

Both, probably. They're pissed you're good enough with a low tier character to beat whatever they've got.

i beat a raiden player that did not spam (wow right) he, was just easy to figure out. but when i messaged him that he got a little to predictable. he sent me 4 full messages of how i was shit and he could beat me if kratos wasn't op,(wich he's not only his b2 hold is) and i don't use it so i don't know how hes op.

but, i challenged him again and wiped his ass a second time and with out fail more messages.

oh, and if your wondering he would block high and start his combo's low everytime. so i block low and start my combo heavy damage 34%,or 55% xray combo.

Nightwolf. He's a heavy hitter, and his combos are very nice. His reflect projectiles is way more than useful. He's just too slow for me. I absolutely prefer speed over power.

Cyber Zub zero's parry is very underrated. I think he would be a beast in some tourneys. Shang Tsung is very underused for someone that is so fun to play and Jax is just a beast in the right hands you would be amazed by the ground traps he can do.