How do you guys get good at this game and still have a life lol? 0_0

dogmatic

So, its my third day with this game. The only fighting game i have ever owned was MK1...
Thus, for some reason it always had a special place in my heart lol. Anyhow, ive stumble acroos MK9 after a 8 month break from my 360 playing LOTRO (an MMO). Well, MK9 was extremly immpresive. I had to get it. And one thing that made me feel good about it was the fact teh reviews said combos were stripped back to make it more appealing to the main stream. Well, i learn quickly that there are some heavy duty walls/strings/juggels out there that i need to learn to become good. So i stumble on this youtube vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2mYjN3rhkM

I didnt even get all the combos about the guy im trying to master, just the "basics" and theres like 30 of them :(

Just doing them in practice will be a feat, let alone in combat or "kombat"

Furthermore, its hard to imagion that so many of you can learn mulitple charactors !!! I mean, this isnt like a FPS or even doing raids in an MMO, this takes memory, timing, practice and dedication. Moreover, i'm hooked on this game now and i'm determined to get good. I'm now quiting LOTRO and handing over the kin I successfully started with 300 people just to dedicate myself to this game.

My question is, how do you guys get so dam good at this game and stil find time for anything else? I;ll be playing this until the next installment comes out and i have a feelling i wouldnt have even scrathed the surface of whats here. You guys are something else lol.

Its just your third day with the game. Give it some time, practice consistently, look for tips to improve the gameplay at the gameplay section, learn from your and other's mistakes and you will show improvement in no time. And most of all Enjoy the game! There is no other better way to learn than enjoying what you do.

What helped me when i got into fighters, in any fighter, playing through the arcade (in this cade, ladder) mode with all characters will give you a good understanding of the games structure and physics etc. In order to finish ladder with a character you'll also have to learn some combos and do whatever you can to win. You'll probably even find a character you never thought you'd like! lol Like Jinko said, it's only your 3rd day! Enjoy the game and experiment. Then hop online and get some mor experience from getting you ass kicked a little. We ALL did :)

Good luck

Yup. spending time in practice mode thinking up combos is the way to go pro with your characters. But i found that after completing the challenge tower, i got so much better. Challenge tower makes you learn how to dodge, string combos, get out of different situations.... it's like an MK boot camp. and after you're done with it you'll find yourself beating alot of ppl who beat you before.

In fighting games, you get as much as you put into it. This trait is also the reason why some people are turned off by the genre. You don't need learn every character, most players focus on a handful while having some working knowledge to deal with the rest.

practice ur combos and timing and learn when to use them. U don't have to be great at da game as long as u get a little better each day.

If you want help and tips, add me on xbox live. nodoubtmaniac is my gamertag :). I'm not a pro player, but I'm at least decent :)

I don't have a life, I'm currently on a 3 week vacation and all I do is play MK, I've finally started getting better with Kitana, I suck with the female characters.

Before I go on youtube and try to find videos with combos, I go to practice mode and try to find a few on my own, it's more fun that way.

I just picked one character and spent a few hours with him in practice mode. To start off, you really only need to learn a couple basic combos. Learn those through repetition, and eventually you'll get better with timing which will allow you to pull of the more complicated ones. Don't expect to become a pro player in a few days, but at the same time don't think you have to sacrifice your life to become good. I'm not the best player, but I can hold my own online even if I only spend a couple hours with the game each week. Just work your way towards it and you'll get there eventually.

I was butchering ppl online on my 1st day with this game lol...the day it came out actually. im undefeated in tag rank and have over 1000w and only 200l in player matches. and yes I have a life. I go to school and I have a job. I just play this game whenever I have time. I think I got so good because of online play. but also...right when I got the game...psn shut down for a month. so that gave me plenty of time to train

I find fighting games require the same level of dedication and time as any mmorpg. Replace the amount of time you spend levelling up, getting gear, crafting, etc, with learning new combos, new situational moves, & match-ups.

They are just much deeper and more complex than most people realise (if you want to do well). I rarely do, I just play too many different games at a time, so I barely get above average at best, I'm just not dedicated enough and never spend enough time training.

On your 3rd day, don't worry about it, just fool around with different characters to gradually get a feel for who you like the best. Eventually try and pick one or two to 'main' and then focus your time learning those two. It is still however beneficial to play other characters from time to time, because learning how everyone plays will make you better at knowing strengths and weaknesses.

Incidently, if you think MK is complex and requires crazy amounts to learn, just be content to know that Street Fighter (stricter & different timings for each character) and Tekken (100's of moves and lengthy combos & juggles) are even more 'hardcore'. MK is, as you say, happily more accessible.

I don't like when people have to bring up a person's "life" when they are good at a game. Fighting games come naturally to people, like me, and shooting games come more naturally to others, not me.

Some like me have also been playing fighting games since they were created/forever and know what to expect from a fighting game, how to play it, and how to make the most out of it.

Trust me, having a life has nothing to do with anything. I'm pretty good at this game but I am also a part time employee in a retail place and a full time college student. Just because someones good doesn't mean they don't have a life, they just pick up this type of game better or practice a lot.

I think you may have taken this a bit personally. Get out, get some action, get a life. ;O)

Not taking anything personally. It's like when a person calls something gay because they don't like it. Makes no sense just like a person that is good at this game necessarily doesn't have a life.