The Wrestling Thread

Your Fav Wrestling Promotion

• Total voters
Raw's intro is AWESOME so far. I lol'd so hard.

Punk/Jericho feud makes me smile, so glad they finally did something they NEEDED to do.

The opening and closing segments to Raw were some of the best and funniest ever.

The rest of the show was meh but those two segments were just plain awesome and fun to watch.

You know... Rock made a really good point last night. And I don't know if this counts as script or real because technically Cena saying this in the first place could be part of his shtick, but John has said numerous times that he "fights for all the legends that came before him". Anybody else think he does the exact opposite? And kinda sh*ts on everyone who came before him by getting 10 something WWE Championships courtesy of his incredible in-ring wrestling ability consisting entirely of five moves?

I mean, I've even seen video of him talking about how he watches himself after the shows to try and see if he can get better. That was ten years ago. :|

Cena's an odd case. Everything I've read about Cena the guy indicates he's one of the best people in wrestling, he does a ton of charity work and appearances that never get made public because he didn't want it publicized. What sucks is that WWE pushes him down people's throat and it turns into people hating Cena personally instead of how the company books him. He's really just getting the same push Hulk Hogan got in 1984, with the difference is that Hulk had more charisma than practically anyone else in wrestling history to make up for his five moves and Cena doesn't. Even then, what charisma Cena does have gets hamstrung by the asinine material he's given most weeks. That's part of what made this past Raw good: they let him be John Cena instead of reading a script (not in the "he's shooting" sense, but by not making him read promos verbatim).

Guys who were great promos like Flair, Savage, Piper, Austin, Foley, Rock, and HBK were never forced to read long winded scripts. If they would have been, they probably wouldn't have been the greats they became. At least 75% of why young guys in WWE suck now is because they are all given scripts written by the same people to read word for word with no room for improv or creativity. How did CM Punk break out of the pack last summer? By delivering a promo he came up with himself that was so different than Stock Wrestling Promo #70889 it made people sit back and go "holy shit, where did that come from?". Because they let him be himself, and it struck a chord with people. There will always be guys who need to be scripted, and should be allowed the chance to have someone write stuff for them, but people who can talk and come up with great promos on their own shouldn't be muzzled from doing so.

John Cena sells merchandise better than anyone else in WWE, the kids (ie: the next generation of fans) love him, all the business indicators agree with him being the franchise player and he should be pushed accordingly. However the booking does him no favors, and at times almost seems purposely done to make certain segments of the fanbase sick of him. My biggest beef with Cena has always been how he doesn't seem willing to use his veto power with Vince. I'm not saying he should be like 1990s Shawn Michaels and refuse to do anything he's asked to do, but John doesn't refuse enough. I've never seen a top guy get booked in so much shit. I don't know what I looked like in writing, but the whole mess he just did with Kane is a prime example. Both guys really tried their asses off to make it work, but the whole storyline was just ri-god damn-diculous. I don't think anyone would have begrudged Cena if he would have just taken Vince aside and said "c'mon man, I shouldn't be doing this bull shit".

I can honestly say, that Cena is starting to rub off on me.

I haven't been watching this era of wrestling that long, but everything i read about the guy indicates he really loves what he does and does it for the fans everynight.

One could argue the lack of "huge" charisma and having character is another reason why the newer guys are bleh as well. Don't get me wrong, some of them are great or even greater than some old legends in the ring but thats all they have really.

Could only name handful of guys who are worthy being future hall of famers right now. Cena, Punk, Doplh, etc.

Honestly think reality tv and ufc forced WWE to become "uncolorful". All the top guys play nearly realistic chars or they not flamboyant or edgy. But it don't bother me really much cause life is always changing and things change too. It's near impossible to hold on thing or retain them the way they was. Peoples taste changes.

Vince wants the WWE brand to be larger than the wrestlers, ever since Brock Lesnar and Bobby Lashley left after the company made them stars. As a result, if you look at developmental today almost all the wrestlers look like completely interchangeable dudebros.

It's also the reason everyone has completely retarded sounding made up names, even if they come from a famous wrestling family like the Windhams/Hennigs/Guerreros.

Some of that is the wrestlers fault as well. Everytime I go watch anything not Wwe like Roh and Tna, everyone is homogenous. Just guys doing spotfest and no selling or storytelling. No amount of fcw will change their ways into being a bland confromist. Davey richards is an offender of this. He no sells big moves and does nothing to make the other guy look great.

Some guys need a manager to talk, Kofi for an example.

Besides in the 80s Vince took guys that already had their characters before joining like Jake, Hogan in awa, Machoman in icw etc before even joining. Vince is just the best at the business part of it. He always had bookers or writers doing it and people helping him in creative.

Nwa was the best place to develop a character on local tv and fine tune skills there. Then Vince could steal you and make you into a money maker. Which was smart.

I firmly think even w/o creative constraints these people are not worth it or they could be but lack anything to learn.

Also alot of the guys from the indys are too small or even big but thin. America still likes heavyweights wrestlers over smaller guys. Rey mistero was one of the reasons the smackdown ratings went down. A crusier as heavyweight champion? Really? That is one of the logic fails mainstream fans will not accept ever.

I know alot of older wwf 80s fans don't buy Cm punk as champion for being too small for a belt even its openweight nowadays.

Moral of the story is that 20th century had all the tools. WWe nowadays has to relie on itself to make stars which is harder. No where to send them or steal them. Mexico is slowly fading away and indys always have no tv time for wrestlers to adjust to microphone skills.

Last edited:
Oh god, this coming Friday is when I go to the Raw Supershow and Punk is in the main event.

I am in the front row and I got my tickets a few months ago and kept thinking HOLY SHIT THIS IS SO FAR AWAY and now it's here.

Falls count anywhere in Punk's match so that includes my lap.

OH YES

Someone asked what CMLL was up to recently, they just had a big show last night headlined by a hair match between Blue Panther vs Negro Casas. It ended up ending in a double pin draw, which by the rules of hair/mask matches in Lucha means both guys got shaved. I guess CMLL is trying to shake up its rep as the traditional-yet-boring conservative brand of wrestling by having a finish no one was expecting. Blue Panther's probably the most widely known wrestler in Mexico still working on a regular basis (Hijo del Santo only works his own indy shows since he's pissed off both the 2 major promotions), so it was a big deal that he would end up bald.

I'm nowhere near a Cena fan, but the work WWE has done toning down the parts of his act that make him unlikeable to so much of the audience (goofy jokes, not taking anything seriously) for this build for WM has been remarkable. It should be noted if he would have been pushed like this from the start they wouldn't have had to do all this rehab now. Still, better late than never I suppose. I could almost see myself tolerating this Cena way more than Smiling Goofy-ass Lame Jokes Superman Cena.

"The Iron Sheik ‏ @the_ironsheik
Hulk hogan make sex tape of what? He have no dick and he only get ****ed in the ass by ultimate warrior

Hulk hogan sex tape worse than mitt romney having the sex with chris bosh

Who watch sex tape of hulk hogan he only have raisin balls no dick"

Oh, Iron Sheik I love the hell outta you. :)