The Wrestling Thread

Your Fav Wrestling Promotion

• Total voters
well lets try to have a intelligent conversation on Punk, shall we?

I don't think he's got much in the way of promo/mic skills (but he's better than most on the current wwe roster); [his promo with Nash was horrible-- Nash's fault.]

He seems to me a Hogan clone with only 2-3 signature spots and that's all that's done.

Punk spent two weeks off tv, what did he do? He went to a baseball game and make some crack about Zack Ryder at ComicCon. Now he's back, wwe should've waited 'til Mania, that would've given ample time to "make" the character.

What would make someone "hot"? He's got the title, so what; David Arquette had the wcw title, dis that make him or wcw "hot"?

I don't see how any of this creates national or international buzz for the company.

discuss........

This is not an intelligent convo when you are not providing actual facts, lol.

Not saying this because of my love for Punk but you clearly either don't watch wrestling or simply do not pay attention. Punk is NOTHING like Hogan.....at all. Hogan was a good guy, the hero to the children, the one who stood for everything good.....Punk is the opposite of that. Not that he stands for everything that is bad, but he is a heel and will tell you off, no matter if you are a fan of his or not (which you would know if you have been watching wrestling the past 2 months). Yes, he stands up for what he believes in, and that is good, but he will diss you in the process, whether you like him or not, because he doesn't care.

Punk is more the Steve Austin of the era, while Cena is easily the new Hogan, complete with minimal moves as well, just like Hogan.

I am dumbfounded as to how you can't see how Punk has made wrestling 'hot'. I suggest you go to some wrestling forums and see for yourself.

@Marshall: I used to like the Rock and Austin but Austin's gimmick became boring to me. OMG, I AM DRINKING BEER, THROWING UP MY FINGERS AND BEATING UP MY BOSS!....k? I didn't find that over the top or inspirational in any way. I have drank beer before and thrown up my middle fingers enough time....wow? Not really earth shattering stuff here. I get that it was a part of an era that was meant to go in that direction and changed wrestling's attitude but it didn't impress me.

As for the Rock, he doesn't even have the balls to show up on TV, he just hides behind cameras at home and runs his mouth. Ohhhhh, scary.

well lets try to have a intelligent conversation on Punk, shall we?

I don't think he's got much in the way of promo/mic skills (but he's better than most on the current wwe roster); [his promo with Nash was horrible-- Nash's fault.]

He seems to me a Hogan clone with only 2-3 signature spots and that's all that's done.

Punk spent two weeks off tv, what did he do? He went to a baseball game and make some crack about Zack Ryder at ComicCon. Now he's back, wwe should've waited 'til Mania, that would've given ample time to "make" the character.

What would make someone "hot"? He's got the title, so what; David Arquette had the wcw title, dis that make him or wcw "hot"?

I don't see how any of this creates national or international buzz for the company.

discuss........

Not saying this because of my love for Punk but you clearly either don't watch wrestling or simply do not pay attention. Punk is NOTHING like Hogan.....at all. Hogan was a good guy, the hero to the children, the one who stood for everything good.....Punk is the opposite of that. Not that he stands for everything that is bad, but he is a heel and will tell you off, no matter if you are a fan of his or not (which you would know if you have been watching wrestling the past 2 months). Yes, he stands up for what he believes in, and that is good, but he will diss you in the process, whether you like him or not, because he doesn't care.

Punk is more the Steve Austin of the era, while Cena is easily the new Hogan, complete with minimal moves as well, just like Hogan.

I am dumbfounded as to how you can't see how Punk has made wrestling 'hot'. I suggest you go to some wrestling forums and see for yourself.

@Marshall: I used to like the Rock and Austin but Austin's gimmick became boring to me. OMG, I AM DRINKING BEER, THROWING UP MY FINGERS AND BEATING UP MY BOSS!....k? I didn't find that over the top or inspirational in any way. I have drank beer before and thrown up my middle fingers enough time....wow? Not really earth shattering stuff here. I get that it was a part of an era that was meant to go in that direction and changed wrestling's attitude but it didn't impress me.

As for the Rock, he doesn't even have the balls to show up on TV, he just hides behind cameras at home and runs his mouth. Ohhhhh, scary.

Cm punk is the only reason people watch raw this days, and I never realy cared for the rock, he is lame as he is overated
and ravenwood if you didnt know this before punk's depart was part of this thing called a storyline

I'm in no way trolling i'm just wondering: Whats so appealing about WWE? People pretending to fight?

I'm in no way trolling i'm just wondering: Whats so appealing about WWE? People pretending to fight?

WWE = a more interesting soap opera than daytime soaps.

Also, though it is scripted, the injuries are very real, so it's lame when people diss it for being 'fake' because it isn't entirely.

I have watched up to 6 different wrestling promotions and followed wrestling forums since 1990.
True I haven't watched any wrestling for the last 6 months until about 3 weeks ago. I still follow A CRAP LOAD of wrestling forums so I always know what's going on.
I wasn't comparing Punk to Hogan as characters- I know Hogan was a "face" and Punk is a "heel". I was saying they both only had a couple signature spots worth noting. I HATED "hulk" Hogan as I am HATING "super" Cena--he has definately been groomed as the new Hogan.
Should I back a wrestler I have no interest in just because someone else likes him/her?

ravenwood if you didnt know this before punk's depart was part of this thing called a storyline

I am quite aware that Punk's "outside WWE" appearances were storyline as stated with the words "should've waited 'til Mania".

Last edited:
WWE = a more interesting soap opera than daytime soaps.

Also, though it is scripted, the injuries are very real, so it's lame when people diss it for being 'fake' because it isn't entirely.

Interesting. WWE just isn't my thing, really. I'm not gonna flame anyone for liking it, that'd be ignorant.

WWE, and all wrestling actually, is way more entertaining (and in many ways actually more "real") than about 95% of the vapid talent/reality shows that seem to be all anyone watches on TV these days.

Now if you excuse me, I have about 4 hours of wrestling from Mexico and Puerto Rico on my DVR to watch.

Ohhhhh, scary.
Cm punk is the only reason people watch raw this days, and I never realy cared for the rock, he is lame as he is overated
and ravenwood if you didnt know this before punk's depart was part of this thing called a storyline

Actually the only reason I watch Raw is on the off chance that one of my top 5 wrestlers might show up:

1. Bret Hart
2. Bret Hart
3. Bret Hart
4. Bret Hart
5. Bret Hart

And I'll add a sixth just because I feel he deserves an honorable mention.

6. Bret Hart.

I have watched up to 6 different wrestling promotions and followed wrestling forums since 1990.
True I haven't watched any wrestling for the last 6 months until about 3 weeks ago. I still follow A CRAP LOAD of wrestling forums so I always know what's going on.

I doubt that because your posts don't really reflect that =)

I wasn't comparing Punk to Hogan as characters- I know Hogan was a "face" and Punk is a "heel". I was saying they both only had a couple signature spots worth noting. I HATED "hulk" Hogan as I am HATING "super" Cena--he has definately been groomed as the new Hogan.

Er...you mentioned Punk and Hogan in the same breath....the last person I would ever put in the same sentence with Punk is Hogan....they are NOTHING alike, and have absolutely nothing in common.....not even 'signature spots'.

Should I back a wrestler I have no interest in just because someone else likes him/her?

....did someone say you should? No.....but my point still stands that you haven't been paying attention like you claim to be because you couldn't even understand how Punk made wrestling hot in the last few months.....

Sorry if any of that sounds rude, not trying to be, but text can be hard to decipher without a tone.

Last edited:

I dont watch cage fighting or real fighting because
1.it is sometimes too boring for me
2. when I was in it I super hated it had no fun whatsoever
3. the people's personalities are hard to like

when in a wrestling show you see someone catching a tooth, you cant say its not real fighting. and in case you didnt know this before, the wrestlers get hurt and injured *gasp*

I dont watch cage fighting or real fighting because
1.it is sometimes too boring for me
2. when I was in it I super hated it had no fun whatsoever
3. the people's personalities are hard to like

when in a wrestling show you see someone catching a tooth, you cant say its not real fighting. and in case you didnt know this before, the wrestlers get hurt and injured *gasp*

Well I believe both appeal to a similar demographic, the fans are radically different. MMA isn't really about the personalities of fighters it's about who is the most skilled under a set of rules. Although personality will heighten your marketability in MMA (Chael Sonnen, Brock Lesnar), but ultimately your skills will help you maintain that popularity and will become marketable at the end of the day (GSP, Anderson Silva)

To be fair, MMA (and UFC specifically) tend to attract more of a college "bro" type fan that is more often than not casually racist. Watch a UFC PPV and when they show the crowd it is almost entirely white males 20-35 years old plus sometimes a few celebrities if it's a big name fight.

Wrestling tends to attract a more diverse crowd in terms of ages and backgrounds, and yes that does mean a lot of kids. Cena gets tagged as the hero of the kids but every show I go to, every kid in the building is wearing a Rey mask.

As far as MMA fighters go, Dana White (UFC boss) has gone on the record several times stating he'd rather a guy have an entertaining fight and lose than be boring and win. Personality is indeed a big factor in MMA. If you win but doing it in the most boring way possible, UFC will probably put someone with a slightly worse record in a big time fight first since they don't want people to drop money on a PPV and get bored to tears.

To be fair, MMA (and UFC specifically) tend to attract more of a college "bro" type fan that is more often than not casually racist. Watch a UFC PPV and when they show the crowd it is almost entirely white males 20-35 years old plus sometimes a few celebrities if it's a big name fight.

Wrestling tends to attract a more diverse crowd in terms of ages and backgrounds, and yes that does mean a lot of kids. Cena gets tagged as the hero of the kids but every show I go to, every kid in the building is wearing a Rey mask.

As far as MMA fighters go, Dana White (UFC boss) has gone on the record several times stating he'd rather a guy have an entertaining fight and lose than be boring and win. Personality is indeed a big factor in MMA. If you win but doing it in the most boring way possible, UFC will probably put someone with a slightly worse record in a big time fight first since they don't want people to drop money on a PPV and get bored to tears.

I think wrestling appeals to a broader age group due to the fact that WWE can make things exciting unlike MMA where it's on the fighters' own accord to make a fight exciting. Plus WWE is more interesting due to there actually being heroes/villains whereas in MMA fighters are hardly ever portrayed as villainous/good guy unless one guy is fighting in another guy's home town.

And yeah excitement does play a big factor in booking fights for MMA but they also take into consideration the fighters' skills and assets. It's not like they are gonna throw Robbie Lawler up against Anderson Silva because Lawler is a brawling exciting fighter. They are gonna throw in Yushin Okami because even though he's a pretty boring fighter, he proved that he was able to beat some of the top guys to secure his title shot

I'd never thought i'd hear the NWO theme in the WWF

ever again

*cleans off cum on leg*

If Kevin nash brings out scott hall at the PPV

I'll die of happiness

Not likely to see Scott Hall anytime soon, considering he now looks like this:

scotthall2.jpg

...and is also probably in the end stages of alcoholism sadly.