UMK9 Discussion ~ ALL UMK9 Discussion Goes Here

Minor problems? Are you dumb? Do you even know anything about game design and programming. Because I do.

Minor problem: A move deals too much damage. Simple patch/hotfix will correct that. It's just a matter of changing the value of some variables.

Major problem: netcode, training mode, hitboxes, replay channel. Those things would need to be reprogrammed from scratch. It's not something they can easily change by pressing a few magic buttons like you seem to think.

They would need to release a new version of the game as DLC or new disc like SSF4 AE. If you guys don't want to upgrade and buy UMK9 then just don't buy it and stick with this version. But UMK9 needs to happen for all the people that actually care about gameplay.

Ya know, him not knowing game design would make him ignorant, not dumb. With dumb your implying he new about the subject, ignorant means he doesn't know about that at all. Just like your ignorant with what ignorant means.

Re: Here s a petition for UMK9

So what you're saying is that dumb people are ignorant but that ignorant people aren't necessarily dumb? Hhmmm... that's kind of profound. Wait, no it's not. It's something so obvious only a grammar nazi would feel the need to point out.

Back on topic, NRS please ignore all these fools and make UMK9 happen. :)

I think 30-40$ would be a fair price for the upgrade. But I'd be willing to pay full price for a great netcode, training mode, frame data, 2D hitboxes and replay channel like SSF4 has. All DLC and costumes included of course + friendship/brutalities and more content on the krypt/nekropolis/challenge tower. Great deal.

Last edited:

The only way I'd possibly support UMK9 is if it was released as DLC as well as on disk. Like SSF4:AE at least that way I only have to pay 15$ instead of 60$

So what you're saying is that dumb people are ignorant but that ignorant people aren't necessarily dumb? Hhmmm... that's kind of profound. Wait, no it's not. It's something so obvious only a grammar nazi would feel the need to point out.

Back on topic, NRS please ignore all these fools and make UMK9 happen. :)

I think 30-40$ would be a fair price for the upgrade. But I'd be willing to pay full price for a great netcode, training mode, frame data, 2D hitboxes and replay channel like SSF4 has. All DLC and costumes included of course + friendship/brutalities and more content on the krypt/nekropolis/challenge tower. Great deal.

If it is so obvious, why'd you use the wrong word.

Anyways, I agree, if they do an upgrade as a Dlc it should be fairly price. 30 bucks max though, 15 bucks would be awesome. I can think of a game that did pretty big changes to it all through a patch, for free. That game was MAG. Now can these changes you mention be fixed or added in a patch? I dunno, I'm ignorant of game design. It would be better if it all could be solved in a patch.

I almost wonder if gamespy is more of the problem for the online play. I don't know though, I've only seen gamespy on the ps2 through now MKs and I think Tony Hawk, but reading around on forums I get the impression that gamespy isn't very good.

Yeah gamespy sucks.

Come on guys, think about this:

Let's say they release 8 DLC characters in total (40$). Let's say they release Friendships (10$) and Brutalities (10$) as DLC. A stage pack (5$), bonus tower challenges (5$), more content in the krypt (5$) and an ultimate costume pack (5$).

You just spent 80$ for bonus content in total. But the game is still barely playable online, the training mode is still ass, you still drop your combos because of negative edge and input delay, you still lose games because your armor gets stuffed by 3D hitboxes, DLCs are buggy and create more bugs that NRS have to fix, the game is still broken and keeps changing every month, frame data is still not available, there's still no replay channel and there's still no real way to train properly and practice your setups/matchups.

At that point wouldn't you rather buy a new disc? Good gameplay and features > all the eye candy they can add as DLC.

Yeah gamespy sucks.

Come on guys, think about this:

Let's say they release 8 DLC characters in total (40$). Let's say they release Friendships (10$) and Brutalities (10$) as DLC. A stage pack (5$), bonus tower challenges (5$), more content in the krypt (5$) and an ultimate costume pack (5$).

You just spent 80$ for bonus content in total. But the game is still barely playable online, the training mode is still ass, you still drop your combos because of negative edge and input delay, you still lose games because your armor gets stuffed by 3D hitboxes, DLCs are buggy and create more bugs that NRS have to fix, the game is still broken and keeps changing every month, frame data is still not available, there's still no replay channel and there's still no real way to train properly and practice your setups/matchups.

At that point wouldn't you rather buy a new disc? Good gameplay and features > all the eye candy they can add as DLC.

Rather not buy a disc, prefer a download. But, that may not be possible. It sounds like the game might have to be almost redone entirely.

It's it possible to do most of the changes you mention with the current game? The revamped practice mode, friendships, and brutalities prolly could.

craftycheese said:
It's it possible to do most of the changes you mention with the current game?
Yes and no. They could do just like SSF4 did with Arcade Edition. They offered the possibility to just download a big upgrade or buy a new disc. I downloaded it. And when I play AE I still have the choice to play Super version or AE version. So it's cool.

Add a replay channel: Possible.

Fix the training mode: Possible.

Add a dummy recording feature: Possible.

Include all DLC characters and costumes: Possible.

Improve Nekropolis, the Challenge Tower and the Krypt: Possible.

Reduce the Negative Edge window: Possible.

Add Friendships and Brutalities: Possible.

Add 4 new characters: Possible.

Fix the hitboxes: Very hard. We're almost talking about an entirely new engine to handle collisions. Probably won't be fixed until MK10 unfortunately.

Improve the netcode: They could still improve it. But I'm afraid we're stucked with Gamespy until MK10. (Heard it was a contract thing that NRS had absolutely no control over)

Last edited:

Didn't know that about ssf4. Not really a street fighter fan though. I heard the same thing about the gamespy thing too. I woulda thought negative edge would have been unfixable.

Well I think I'm comibg around to the idea now.

Ppl are soooo stupid for NOT wanting a UMK9

1.If they add a s**tload of new content and kharacters in it and sell it for $40, you could trade in your MK9 and possibly with other games that u never play and basically get it for next to NOTHING

Yeah, but your key word is IF. If they don't have enough content worth getting the whole game for, then they shouldn't be releasing UMK9 at all. But everything else you said was pretty true, though. ;)

LOL you think thats nitpicking? Those are HUGE flaws. Training is one of the most important modes in a fighting game, and hitboxes and negative edge are also huge components. Now whining because some stages or characters didnt get put in, THAT is nitpicking

admit it dude, you're nit picking and complaining. The majority of us can all agree, MK9 is still a great game. But we have a few people who take things too far and always find a way to make things look worse than they really are. But that's fine, you depressing ****s arent ruing my experience. I'm doing just fine without you. As I dont listen to the complaints anyway.

I love this game bro lol. I would be happy without all this stuff BUT if there is a UMK9 there focus needs to be on gameplay NOT dumb new stages or finishers. Although I really think they need to improve the training mode, it is extremely important. Or add a replay channel Ahhh a man can dream

I'm happy with MK9 and it's not perfect, but it's the best MK we have, goddamnit.
We have Ice cream.. some people want extra toppings but I'm just fine with the Ice Cream.
It's delicious and cold :mullet:

I'mma say no, because nowadays releasing something like this is a slippery slope and at the end you get the same bs Capcom pulls with street fight. And if your thinking, "well, it worked for the SNES (and other systems) back in '95." that was because there was no internet to update and release shit like you can nowadays. Yeah it SOUNDS nice, but really, it'd be a dick move that basically tells the fan base, "HEY! Give us all your money you dumb ****suckers!". At least, it would to me, as that kind of shit makes me feel as if they don't care about us and that they just want another quick buck.

*Edit* Also, what's wrong with the training mode?

Yeah, but your key word is IF. If they don't have enough content worth getting the whole game for, then they shouldn't be releasing UMK9 at all. But everything else you said was pretty true, though. ;)

Yeah but it wouldnt be that hard if they added alot of quick small features that wouldnt take long to put in the game like

1.Playable bosses for offline only-Its all about sales and alot of ppl want them playable

2.Vs CPU mode-MAJOR feature that ppl want and would be simple to put in

3.Survivor/Endurance modes- They already started them n probably wouldnt take too long to finish them

4.Expand fatality trainer to all finishing moves-Some ppl have trouble doing finishing moves so yeah they can master fatalities but no reason to not give them the option to practice on the rest of them as well.

5.Online replays with the ability to upload and share-Already have an offline one, now just expand on it and add it for online play

6.Choose Your Destiny-Again, this is another simple and highly requested feature. I'd even make it fully customisable

7.Tournament mode-Just like in UMK3, up to 16 players

8.Test Your Luck online- Already in the game, now just make it for online as well.

9.Show Mercy-Extremely easy

Then add in some of the tougher ones that take more time like

1.Brutalities-At least they already started these and came up with some great ideas so they wouldnt be the cheesy big combo and explode like in the past. I would imagine they would involve xrays

2.Friendships-Takes time cuz u have to do all the mocap and then add in the rest of the details, but would be well worth it, especially seeing how great they made the babalities

3.More klassic fatalities-Something I have constantly seen threads about since MK9's release. Again takes time to mocap and then add the rest of the details

4.More klassic skins-Another highly requested topic. Probably wont take too long but u never know depending on the detail

5.6-8 New kharacters other than the DLC-These take the most time,8-10 weeks per kharacter.

6.Around 5 new arenas and update some others already in the game with stage fatalities(Bell Tower and Goro's Lair)- The amount of detail that have gone into these stages are impressive so it definately takes time

7.Continue working on making the online play the best you can.

MK9 has already been out for 4 months so you know they already have done alot since then other than DLC. If they are gonna do what Capcom did and release a UMK9, then they need to give themselves enough time to make sure they add in these features so they can ensure themselves that it can sell just as well as MK9. Just throwing in a few features and kharacters would KILL their credibility. If they want UMK9 to sell well then they better include MOST of these features otherwise they will be lucky to get half the sales MK9 got. I think if they got in most of these, they could sell around 2 million.

Yeah but it wouldnt be that hard if they added alot of quick small features that wouldnt take long to put in the game like

1.Playable bosses for offline only-Its all about sales and alot of ppl want them playable

2.Vs CPU mode-MAJOR feature that ppl want and would be simple to put in

3.Survivor/Endurance modes- They already started them n probably wouldnt take too long to finish them

4.Expand fatality trainer to all finishing moves-Some ppl have trouble doing finishing moves so yeah they can master fatalities but no reason to not give them the option to practice on the rest of them as well.

5.Online replays with the ability to upload and share-Already have an offline one, now just expand on it and add it for online play

6.Choose Your Destiny-Again, this is another simple and highly requested feature. I'd even make it fully customisable

7.Tournament mode-Just like in UMK3, up to 16 players

8.Test Your Luck online- Already in the game, now just make it for online as well.

9.Show Mercy-Extremely easy

Then add in some of the tougher ones that take more time like

1.Brutalities-At least they already started these and came up with some great ideas so they wouldnt be the cheesy big combo and explode like in the past. I would imagine they would involve xrays

2.Friendships-Takes time cuz u have to do all the mocap and then add in the rest of the details, but would be well worth it, especially seeing how great they made the babalities

3.More klassic fatalities-Something I have constantly seen threads about since MK9's release. Again takes time to mocap and then add the rest of the details

4.More klassic skins-Another highly requested topic. Probably wont take too long but u never know depending on the detail

5.6-8 New kharacters other than the DLC-These take the most time,8-10 weeks per kharacter.

6.Around 5 new arenas and update some others already in the game with stage fatalities(Bell Tower and Goro's Lair)- The amount of detail that have gone into these stages are impressive so it definately takes time

7.Continue working on making the online play the best you can.

MK9 has already been out for 4 months so you know they already have done alot since then other than DLC. If they are gonna do what Capcom did and release a UMK9, then they need to give themselves enough time to make sure they add in these features so they can ensure themselves that it can sell just as well as MK9. Just throwing in a few features and kharacters would KILL their credibility. If they want UMK9 to sell well then they better include MOST of these features otherwise they will be lucky to get half the sales MK9 got. I think if they got in most of these, they could sell around 2 million.

While this all sounds nice, it'd piss someone like me off, because it come across as pandering. If you're willing to put in the work for an updated version, why didn't you do it the first ****ing time around? Which is what most of your list is! Stuff that they either wanted to do or tried to do. No offense to you kind sir :D

No way in HELL should we get an Ultimate Mortal Kombat 9. It will encourage NRS to be like that greedy fan abusing company Capcom. Save everything for Mortal Kombat 10.

And if you don't have a good internet connection that's your problem. It's 2011. Get up to date.

No way in HELL should we get an Ultimate Mortal Kombat 9. It will encourage NRS to be like that greedy fan abusing company Capcom. Save everything for Mortal Kombat 10.

And if you don't have a good internet connection that's your problem. It's 2011. Get up to date.

Well then what if they put out MK10 next year like it is rumored too, that still makes them greedy then, right? F**k that, expand MK9 first and take your time with MK10, see what new features other games put in during that time and incorporate it into MK10. MK9 is still NEW and fresh and they can build on it with UMK9 until they finish MK10.