MK 9 Story Mode Mistake? (SPOILERS)

SSCREM

OK here's the deal in MK9 the way to defeat khan was to make him enter earthrealm without victory in Mortal Kombat, Which means he should lose the first tournament MK1 and the second tournament MK2 so he can invade in MK3, then why does the amulet shatter after these two events? These events must happen in order to change the future, Liu kang had to win have to win MK1-MK2 in order for the MK3 invasion to happen.

Long story short WHY DOES THE AMULET SHATTER WHEN THE EVENT'S IN MK1-MK2 MUST REMAIN UNCHANGED, If Shang Tsung won MK1 khan would have been able to merge the realm's without breaking the rules same for MK2.

Discuss and please help me figure this out.

I think it was just to show that things were still on the same track as to what happened in the past. Yeah those things may have needed to happen but if raiden didn't make that last minute decision to let khan win, it would've lead to armageddon.

I think the amulet shatters everytime an event from the original timeline happens in the new timeline, thus showing that the future would remain unchaged.

YOUR RIGHT it makes perfect sence. That's why those visions.In MK1 he won.In MK2 he remains victor with his friends. In MK3 he had to be the one to fight kaun. But wait in MK3 Cage wazn,t in the tournament+Mortaru kicked his ass a couple of times= Mortaru should had been a DLC.

Think of it in this way. The longer the time Shao Kahn stays alive, the amulet will keep breaking (since Shao Kahn beating Raiden up in Armageddon was what caused the amulet to break) Thus since after MK1 and MK2, Shao Kahn is still alive, the amulet continued to break.

Oh, I get that part thanks Flying jinko, and lets not forgot that the murdering of Hanzo's family and clan are still at risk for Quan chi.

I get what you're saying, but the only thing I'm confused about is that I acknowledge the fact that it breaking means thing's remain unchanged, I'm just saying that tit should start breaking at the end of MK2.

Maybe think about it this way. If the first time Kang beat Kahn, if he had incinerated his corpse to the point where he could no longer be brought back, then the other events wouldn't have needed to happen and they wouldn't have needed the MK3 invasion. It was just showing that Raiden hadn't changed anything.

I get what you're saying, but the only thing I'm confused about is that I acknowledge the fact that it breaking means thing's remain unchanged, I'm just saying that tit should start breaking at the end of MK2.
The breaking of the amulet does represent that things have been unchanged, and what exactly are those 'things' are the subject matter for discussion. I believe that the 'thing' is the existence of Shao Kahn. Even if Liu Kang had defeated and managed to kill Shao Kahn for good in MK3, the amulet would have repaired itself imo. Raiden choose not to go that route because it had already failed in MK2. If Quan Chi didnt save Shao Kahn in time after MK2 and Kahn had died, the amulet would again have repaired itself.

Bottomline is that the fate of the amulet is directly linked to Shao Kahn's existence than anything else. The invasion of earthrealm was just one of the many possible routes through which Shao Kahn would be gone for good. Atleast that is what seems most logical to me. :)

Last edited:
The breaking of the amulet does represent that things have been unchanged, and what exactly are those 'things' are the subject matter for discussion. I believe that the 'thing' is the existence of Shao Kahn. Even if Liu Kang had defeated and managed to kill Shao Kahn for good in MK3, the amulet would have repaired itself imo. Raiden choose not to go that route because it had already failed in MK2. If Quan Chi didnt save Shao Kahn in time after MK2 and Kahn had died, the amulet would again have repaired itself.

Bottomline is that the fate of the amulet is directly linked to Shao Kahn's existence than anything else. The invasion of earthrealm was just one of the many possible routes through which Shao Kahn would be gone for good. Atleast that is what seems most logical to me. :)

This discussion is turning out more confusing than I thought, but I think I'm catching on to you're logic and I believe that you're reply hold's the answer.

Right on the button mr flying jinko man sir.

It shatters because if still happens the same, Armageddon still happens, simple as that.
Not really. Armageddon is still bound to happen in the altered timeline. However the difference this time round is that Shao Kahn wont be around to emerge as the victor in Armagedon.

Raiden has not averted the incidence of Armageddon. He just changed the event that caused his amulet to break (which had originally broken when Shao Kahn beat Raiden up) by killing Shao Kahn.

Not really. Armageddon is still bound to happen in the altered timeline. However the difference this time round is that Shao Kahn wont be around to emerge as the victor in Armagedon.

Raiden has not averted the incidence of Armageddon. He just changed the event that caused his amulet to break (which had originally broken when Shao Kahn beat Raiden up) by killing Shao Kahn.

Yeah right, but isnt Kahn who raises the Armageddon?

Anyway, your first reply was a great explanation.

Yeah right, but isnt Kahn who raises the Armageddon?

Anyway, your first reply was a great explanation.
Yea, In the original timeline Shao Kahn was bound to cause Armageddon cause he had emerged the victor. I guess anyone besides some people from the forces of light would cause Armageddon at the end if they emerged the victor.

PS: sorry for the late reply lol, I just noticed this now.

Sorry for necroing I just feel unsatisfied with the above answers even after giving it a lot of though.

Sooo tell me the truth damnit why does it shatter in the first place? I'm calling plothole.

This

Just... this

The fate of the amulet isn't dependent on the changing of the events of the story, it's dependent on the fate of Shao Kahn himself

Shao Kahn alive= amulet cracks
Shao Kahn dead= amulet repairs itself

Last edited:
That could be true but how is it possible for them to kill him? when lui kang killed him he was revived the only way for them to truly kill him was in letting him invade which means winning MK1 and MK2.

Well, Liu Kang didn't actually kill him, he just mortally wounded him

He was close to dying but he didn't actually die because Quan Chi happened to be there to heal his wounds in time