• Smokey Smoke

Votes: 23 20.7%
  • Cyber Sub-Zero

Votes: 12 10.8%
  • Other (please state)

Votes: 8 7.2%

• Total voters

Sky Valley

sometimes people dont like it when their characters get altered. While I do not hate all of these, they are different versions of characters that have had some negative reception among fans. Some more than others.

Unmasked Sub-Zero
Sub-ZeroMK3.png

The first character do have something largly altered to him. Some critisms came from people who didnt like the fact that the most iconic Ninja revealed his face. His face itself also gets made fun of alot too. But hey, he's got shiny hair!

Robo Smoke
Smoke.gif

highly doubt this one made people as angry as the others(like someone would really be that attatched to a non playable character in MK2 enough to get mad at this) But It was only fair to put him on the list, as he still is an alternate version. If there are any old farts on this forum who were mad at smoke turning into a robot in 1995, please let me know

MK4 Reptile
reptile.jpg

while not having an official name for his new look, this reptile usually gets made fun of more than the others. The dorkyness turned some people away, and was also the first step into turning him more reptilian from then on , instead of a lizard diquised as a human like he used to be.

Zombie Lui Kang
Zombies-2.jpg

quite arguably the first sign where the series started jumping the shark for the worst. Like it or not, it happened.

Dark Raiden
DarkRaiden.jpg

never understood why some people hated this, I though he looked pretty cool.(kinda like how people were whining over smokes hair in mk9) Oh well

Smokey Smoke
Smokecut.png

this one....really sucks. Was just a walking smoke ball with overalls on. Teamed up with Noob in MK Deception to form the Noob/Smoke Alliance. (the most heterosexual thing evar known to Mortal Kombat. Honest!)

Cyber Sub-Zero
Cyber-Sub-Zero-profile.jpg

new kid on the block. Boon's idea of innovation (see zombie lui kang)
Is unknown if he will return in future titles

Last edited:
Can't decide between mk3 sub, smokey smoke, or zombie Liu.

Gonna cross mk3 sub cuz I liked it in deadly alliance. So I'm down to smoke or Liu.

I don't have a problem with any of these. Changes like this help keep the franchise fresh, for better or worse. It's good to be innovative.

It beats playing Street Fighter, where all the characters look exactly the same now as they did 20 years ago.

At the time, I thought the idea of Zombie Liu was pretty cool, but it was poorly executed. I loved unmasked Sub-Zero. It separated him from his brother and MKDA Sub-Zero is my favorite version of him ever. I despised both MK4 Reptile and MKDA Reptile. Both were just ugly and awful looking. MKDA Reptile remains my least liked costume change for a character... ever. I loved Cyber Smoke's storyline and the tragedy behind it. Smokey Smoke looks stupid. I don't know what they were thinking

MK4 reptile. And seriously, I do like Cyber Sub-Zero a lot. I mean, Sub-Zero is the same character since MK1...

I dont understand why the changes when the things are great as they are.

I hate all-burnt kabal... his MK3 incarnation was the best one, and I hated MK9 Ermac but I learnt to love it, though it lacks on red thing I dont like, his MKD incarnation was better, but I will forever hate MK3/MKDA SZ.

where all the characters look exactly the same now as they did 20 years ago.
Whoot! It seems you are not familiar with the concept of "Timeless Design", where time passes, and the said design needs little to no revisions to keep up with new ages; all of the SF2 characters featured in "The World Warrior" had that.

On the other side, how many times where the MK characters redesigned to remain relevant? And why is that, on every 3D rendered sequel, the unmasked characters have a nearly different facial structure compared to their previous appearances? Was that supposed to be a good thing...?

Last edited:
MK4 Reptile, or as I call him, MC Hammer Pants, was completely ridiculous. It's as if the MK team was really into DBZ and decided to make a character that looks like Piccolo.

Maskless Sub wasn't something I was a fan of, but I can understand why it was done. It helped establish a different tone for MK3 and it did do that.

Zombie Liu upset me because it ruined what to me was one of the most surprising/shocking moments in the MK storyline where the hero was just killed out of nowhere. Having the star of your last several games appear as a zombie was a lame way to get out of the corner they were painted into.

Seriously people in MKDA I know how it happened, its because the DA sucked kind of, and Quan Chi cheated and I rest my case.

Smokey Smoke to me, just a retarded change that made no sense. Human to robot makes sense, then to robo-cloud of smoke ghost thing. WTF!

Whoot! I see you are unfamiliar with the theory of "Timeless Design"...

*snip - robwill80 stops reading*

Right... if you say so... you do seem to know me so well, after all... :p

Seriously, it's good that we're not all clones of each other - the world would be a very boring place if we all thought the same way and agreed on everything.

I'm aware of the concept of timeless design, but I don't hold Street Fighter's design in such high regard as you seem to. I am tired of seeing the same thing rehashed for the last 20 years. It's like there is no such thing as a washing machine in the Street Fighter universe.

Still, if you like it, then good for you. You are entitled to have your own opinion, as am I. Try not to be so rude next time...