Why do the 3D MK games tend to get hate compared to the 2D games?

Kokoro

I don't get myself. I mean, MK9 didn't play too different from the PS2/Xbox trilogy, except it was in 2D and had no switching to other fighting styles. Maybe people feel they're too slow or people are too used to the 2D games. I really thought that Deadly Alliance was quite an improvement compared to the previous MK games. It brought in dial-a-combos that didn't require you to be right next to your opponent. I personally enjoyed Deadly Alliance, Deception and Armageddon. What are your guy's opinions on this?

I actually enjoyed those game's I guess it was because they didn't have a deep fighting engine and the mk world wasn't ready for 3D.

I think I enjoyed DA and Deception more than I enjoyed MK9. I think people hated them because the fighting system was messed up and the speed was slowed down.

Reptile wasn't human, Jarek, Mokap, a look alike Ken named Kobra, all these plus more characters wasn't making the 3d plane work.. another reason might be because MK was built 2d and folks wanted this feature back, so NRS and WB did just that..

Well, the 3D games are sloooooooow paced and are delayed in button sequence sometimes. But still, I like them a lot. MK9 is the best of course.

MK9>MKSM=MKA=MKU>MK2>MK4/MKG>UMK3/MKT=MKDA>MKvsDCU>MK1

Honestly the 3D MKs get hated on mostly by people who grew up with 2D MK games and saw the change as their favorite franchise being ruined, which is silly because no matter what the 2D games will always be that way. Then MK4 came out in an era where arcades were still more advanced than home consoles and pretty much every port of the game sucked. After that it was the console era of MK, which started another kneejerk backlash from people sad to see arcade MKs go away.

It's funny to see how many people go back to Deception or Deadly Alliance and realize they're both pretty fun games. Once the irrational hate for something new/different goes away, you realize 2D fighters were pretty much a dead end road save the occasional offbeat Japanese import game. Hell, even Street Fighter went away from the traditional 2D format.

Because they sucked?

The new characters were awful for the most part. The classic characters were treated poorly. The stories were stupid. The gameplay was putrid.

They were just bad.

The new characters were awful for the most part. The classic characters were treated poorly. The stories were stupid. The gameplay was putrid.

besided Smoke, they did a really good job bringing back the classic characters in Deception. Kabal,Ermac,Noob,Baraka,Mileena were all back and better than ever. Was the closest they got to making a good 3D MK game. But pretty much every other new character sucked though, and 3D fighters can be a bore. I dont really like Deception, but its alot better than MK4,DA,A

besided Smoke, they did a really good job bringing back the classic characters in Deception. Kabal,Ermac,Noob,Baraka,Mileena were all back and better than ever. Was the closest they got to making a good 3D MK game. But pretty much every other new character sucked though, and 3D fighters can be a bore. I dont really like Deception, but its alot better than MK4,DA,A

The only one I thought was decent was Mileena. And that certainly wasn't enough to save the game for me.

I'm just gonna pretend everything post-MK4 and pre-MK9 never happened.

The only one I thought was decent was Mileena. And that certainly wasn't enough to save the game for me.

Ermacs MK9 design is based off his Deception look though, you have to give them credid for that.

But I agree, I'm the last person you are gonna see defending the crappy 3D games, but I guess I just did on accident. Oh well, they really suck and so do most of the new characters

Ermacs MK9 design is based off his Deception look though, you have to give them credid for that.

But I agree, I'm the last person you are gonna see defending the crappy 3D games, but I guess I just did on accident. Oh well, they really suck and so do most of the new characters

Eh. It's based on it, yes... But it's not the same. There's something so ****ing annoying about his design in Deception. So much that I HATED it and for the longest time begged for the return of the red ninja pallet swap. But they totally took that idea and spun it in an awesome direction for MK9.

Interesting point is brought up here, has the MK team been able to create any good new characters post UMK3? None of the new characters in MKD/MKDA had a chance to get fleshed out, and now that MK9 (and future games) go back to the past in the timeline it seems to potentially write all of them out.

When you think about it, MK10 has to have some new characters in it. If they have the same roster as MK9 and just have different fatalities or stages, it will largely be seen as a rehash. The question is, do you bring back any of the MKD/DA characters in the new format or risk having NRS go back to the drawing board to come up with new characters again?

Because they were horrible. The quality of those games were just horrible with mediocre gameplay followed by tons of horribly designed characters especially that Ken Masters look a like Kobra. Gosh MKDA, MKD, and MKA were just horrible. Nothing was good about them. Only 3D MK That was good was MK4 but for the most part was played 2D. So MK9, MK3, UMK3, MKT, MK4, MK Gold, MK2, and MK1 the only MK games I care about. Everything after MK Gold was horrible until MK9 came along and MK was reborn.

Edit: I don't actually really hate the 3D MK games I did enjoy them and they were pretty fun, but the overall quality of those products weren't good. The story mode was still good in the games tho. Just the fighting engine in those games felt all clunky and slow. Just does not work with MK.

Last edited:
The 3D MKs were alright for their time. Looking back on it now, they totally blew. All three of them(MK4 was okay in IMO). They felt clunky and slow and just didn't feel like Mortal Kombat to me. Just another game that happened to have the same title as Mortal Kombat. I thought many of the character redesigns were bad. All of the characters looked overly bulky and muscular. Jax looked like blow-up doll in DA, just sayin'. A really jacked up blow-up doll.

Yep, the 3D games were just plain bad. Slow, clumsy, shallow as f*ck fighting engine, incredibly uninspiring characters and overall storyline. And it just went from bad to worse. MK9 is easily the best MK game since the original trilogy and it is not just because it went back to 2D. The 2D made it possible to have the deepest fighting mechanics in a MK game yet and the old and loved characters and backgrounds got an amazing reboot as well. Plus, you can't deny that this is by far the best storyline out of all the MK games so far.
In short, 3D just didn't work.

I personally love first 3 games AND MK9.
The main reason why i don't accept 3D MK is that actors are not alive. Fighters look like plastic dolls, no realism. No real sense of presence. When i choose Sonya with these incradably big bobbies, or Sub-Zero whose hand muscules are thicker than his own head... i just don't believe it's an alive person, this kills all my sense.
Why i love MK9? Well, it's a tribute to the past. Boon and NRS did a good work, the atmosphere is here. All characters from first 3 games, all stages, especially Klassic costumes make feel this is the real Mk. MK9 just feels like old MKs when you play it, that's why i love it:)
Old MK atmosphere. The reason why i'm against new DLC characters.
And at last, here 3D models look much better. Who knows, maybe MK12 on PS4 will be in 3D but looking cinematic, ABSOLUTELY real. In that case I'll say "MK now in 3D looks good".
The second reason is characters) Just look at Scorpion, Sub-Zero! Mileena, Raiden, Shang Tsung, even Johnny Cage! They are.. SPECIAL! Just magically special, we feel real Soul in these persons. And now look at Mavado, Hsu Hao, Drahmin, Shujinko, Darrius, Diarou (honesty, i even mix up the last two). No face. No character. No soul. These characters are "dolls" as they look so in 3D, and as they feel so.
From non-UMK3 characters i only love (Fujin, Reiko, Quan Chi, Shinnok) - they are all from MK4) Frost, Tanya, Li Mei, Kira - just cause i love to play females. But OK, Frost is Special, she is only one exception in MKDA whom i really love:) Even in old days i always wanted to play Sub-Zero female, so, here she is, accepted by me even before she was released by Boon.

I really thought that Deadly Alliance was quite an improvement compared to the previous MK games. It brought in dial-a-combos that didn't require you to be right next to your opponent. I personally enjoyed Deadly Alliance, Deception and Armageddon. What are your guy's opinions on this?

The same with me. Deadly Alliance stopped the crisis in MK serie which began with MK4 and was lasting through MKG and Special Forces. These games was really awfull. Fighting system needed to be changed complately, coz this one introduced in MK4 was a parody of old 2D gameplay - action was happening too fast, health bars was running out too slowly, graphics / colours was horrible, ridiculous sounds, whole game seemed to be not finished. DA maybe wasn't a game as good as Tekken or Virtua Fighter but was important step to bring back MK his splendor and respect.

I like lots of new character, in love with Hara-Kiri's, Kreate-A-Fatality, Deathraps, fighting styles, weapons (wich sucked in MK4) and especially - storyline. Old MK story was a bit... naive, some kind of fairytales' elements: good always win, evil ones turn good etc. and DA/D/A change the direction - Liu Kang murdered and ressurected as zombie to kill innocent people, corrupted Raiden in alliance with Shao Kan, massacre of Earthrealm warriors done by Tsung & Quan Chi, Kabal turns evil once more, the same with Smoke... it was cool that Deception gave a rest some characters who have appeared too frequently like Sonya, Jax, Cage, Kitana etc.

One thing I hated most about the 3D games is that you could easily dodge Scorpion's spear (or any projectile really) by just a lame sidestep. When that happens, some of the magic from the old 2D games is lost. Hence, the hate.