Most overated character and why? Most unerrated character and why?

jtpelli22

Personally I can't think of many overrated characters but I'd have to say this definitely Johnny Cage even though he's a good character because he's a prick in story and he trys using his looks and charm to win a fight witch at least for me is his downfall.

For me the most underrated character is probably either
1.) Kung Lao because his ranged and close range attacks are fantastic and hes always in Lui Kangs shadow
2.)Stryker because he was a complete joke in the past but now I'm willing to say he is one of the best if not best ranged attack character in all of mk 9

Is this over/underrated chars looking wise? tier wise? being cool wise?

Ill not do it tier wise, Ill do it judging the character himself.

Most overrated
1 - Kano: He's IMO the lamest MK character ever (the whole series), his power is to turn himself into a cannonball... really? that's it? and don't let me start with his useless laser eye.

Most underrated
.... I dont know =/ maybe Baraka, he is awesome as a character but NRS screwed him up in this game.

Last edited:
Is this over/underrated chars looking wise? tier wise? being cool wise?

Ill not do it tier wise, Ill do it judging the character himself.

Most overrated
1 - Kano: He's IMO the lamest MK character ever (the whole series), he's power is to turn himself into a cannonball... really? that's it? and don't let me start with his useless laser eye.

I agree with the part where he's lame as hell. I'll never like him.

uhm well I'll take this gameplay wise
I don't think there is an overrated character. All of them are good and if people overuse one, it's because it's good.
Most underrated: I'd say Baraka. Idk why people say he sucks. I suggest them to go to practice mode and learn him, then go online a play him for a few hours. You'll see he's a very competitive fighter. He's like JC, strong rush down, weak zoning. But he also can counter rush down and air attacks really well.

how can Kung Lao be the most under-rated when people have been screaming that he is so over powered that he is broken and he has had to be nerfed - what twice, 3 times?

Last edited:
most overrated
raiden & lao: they are both easy to spam with and have easy start up's that seem to cater to the newer guy's.

underrated
kano & baraka:

kano is labeled as newbish because of his up ball wakeup but people never seem to figure that if u don't jump in or rush him his wake up's is useless and can be punished.

baraka: is slow and deadly in the corner but has go antiair game with the chop chop and his spin can stop jump in's and his wake up can stop the raiden spammers that only tp and grab.

the most overrated character is sub zero . hes soooo boring to play in most of the mk games

underrated would have to be Baraka hes so fun to play as in every mk game

Kenshi. His design looks cool, his story and background is cool, but in the game he is SOOO boring. Most overrated character by far.

Overrated? Scorpion and Quan-Chi.

In terms of story, Scorpion is basically a side character after MKII and basically has the same story over and over again. I've always liked Scorpion but it would be nice for NRS to get him something more important to the actual story. Quan-Chi became overrated when NRS decided to make him the real puppet master behind the events of MK1 to UMK3. Lame.

Underrated? Hotaru and Ashrah

Hotaru has a great look, an interesting character and his insect inspired moves (despite being pretty bland during Deception) has great potential. He is a decent villain and the only great character to come from the Order Realm. Ashrah has an okay look, and a great storyline and moveset potential. Hopefully both these characters get something in the next game.

OVERATED - Rain
when everyone wants to like the obscure forgotten ninja that wasnt in the starting roster, then he ultimatly looses what made the few people drawn to him in the first place back in the old games. Ironic isnt it.

UNDERATED - Nightwolf
dont even need to say anything about this one

Last edited:
Personally I can't think of many overrated characters but I'd have to say this definitely Johnny Cage even though he's a good character because he's a prick in story and he trys using his looks and charm to win a fight witch at least for me is his downfall.

wat

10char

The most overrated is obviously Scorpion, everyone says he's the most awesome character although he's actually a douche, especially in MK9 when he had the chance to get his clan resurrected but decided to kill Subby instead :(

Also if he didn't kill Subby we would have a human sub (Bi Han) and a cyber sub (Kuai Liang). I'm sure Quan Chi is pro enough to go find another host soul for Noob Saibot like Kung Lao after his neck got snapped :p

Overrated - Mileena

Underrated - Sheeva, Sektor & Scorpion.
People think Sheeva needs long combos to be good.
I have NO idea why Sektors don't plague online matches. Guy can do simple 40% combos.
Scorpion has been labeled as the "Scrub's choice" so people fail to realize how powerful he really is.

Most Overrated? Smoke. Why? I get tired of the same shit. Same 3 hit combo. Same smoke toss. Same tele-punch.
Most Underrated? Shang Tsung. I have NEVER fought a Shang online before. He can dominate... and His X ray is BRUTAL.

overrated in mk9: kung lao and raiden. do I really have to explain?

overrated in mk series: scorpion. sure he's ed boons fav character, but he really isn't all that cool imo. there's way better mk characters.

underrated in mk9: jade. no one really uses her and the people who do fail. I'm not sayin I'm the best jade out there, but I sure do kick ass with her. people just spam razorangs and shadow kick all day, but shes much more than that. she can dish out combos dealing way more than 30% without using meter and 40%+ using one meter. she has a crazy reset game when she uses her razorangs in a juggle. and her ex dodging shadow is one of the best defensive moves in the game when used right. I think I'm the only person who uses it in block strings as I haven't seen anyone do that. jade is deadly in the right hands.

underrated in mk series: idk...maybe kabal. he has a nice moveset and story but hasn't appeared in a lot of games

underrated in mk9: jade. no one really uses her and the people who do fail. I'm not sayin I'm the best jade out there, but I sure do kick ass with her. people just spam razorangs and shadow kick all day, but shes much more than that. she can dish out combos dealing way more than 30% without using meter and 40%+ using one meter. she has a crazy reset game when she uses her razorangs in a juggle. and her ex dodging shadow is one of the best defensive moves in the game when used right. I think I'm the only person who uses it in block strings as I haven't seen anyone do that. jade is deadly in the right hands.

Jade is no joke. My best is Mileena and I faced this Jade and I got flawlessed because they juggled me across the whole damn screen