Most overated character and why? Most unerrated character and why?

Gameplay wise:

Overated- Kung Lao: There isn't much work that has to be put into him. He's fast, range of specials. There's no challenging fighting as him.
Ermac: He's cool and all, but man can his juggles get any more repetitive? Or how about that distance on force push?

Underated- Sheeva: So much potential with her. She is great in damage and has awesome range.
Sindel: People think she's all about the zoning, but she has great mixups up close and an anti jump in yell.

Character wise

Overated- Rain: I just don't think his story is that interesting.
Reptile: What do we actually know about him? He serves who? We know nothing except that he has a long tongue and spits acid. There isn't much story to him.

Underated- Sindel: She was forced into marriage with Shao Kahn, sacrificed herself to protect her daughter and her realm. She was ressurected evil. Then changed to good. Queen of Edenia. She has a great story imo.
Kabal: It was nice to see what actually happened to him and how he got burned. Wish they would put more emphasis on all characters like this.

Gameplay wise:

Overated- Kung Lao: There isn't much work that has to be put into him. He's fast, range of specials. There's no challenging fighting as him.
Ermac: He's cool and all, but man can his juggles get any more repetitive? Or how about that distance on force push?

Underated- Sheeva: So much potential with her. She is great in damage and has awesome range.
Sindel: People think she's all about the zoning, but she has great mixups up close and an anti jump in yell.

Character wise

Reptile: What do we actually know about him? He serves who? We know nothing except that he has a long tongue and spits acid. There isn't much story to him.

Underated- Sindel: She was forced into marriage with Shao Kahn, sacrificed herself to protect her daughter and her realm. She was ressurected evil. Then changed to good. Queen of Edenia. She has a great story imo.
Kabal: It was nice to see what actually happened to him and how he got burned. Wish they would put more emphasis on all characters like this.

About reptile, there is an interesting story about his race, which is almost extinct, and Kahn slaved the survivors or something like that, that's why he serves Kahn, also he has some story with Khameleon.

Are you sure all of them have potential? Hsu Hao? Taven? Daegon? Sareena? Kira? Kobra? to name a few...

Some have (Havik, Hotaru, Fujin, Ashrah and maybe a few more) but not all of them.

That's just a simple opinion. Just because there are characters you don't like, doesn't mean there's no potential. I didn't like Smoke or Rain before MK9, and the game totally sold me on them. The developers clearly saw potential in these characters to begin with, or they wouldn't have put them in. I'm not talking about who you like or dislike. It'd be easy for me to say "I never want to see Mavado in another Mortal Kombat game again" just because I dislike the character, but who knows, maybe the next time they do him they'll pull off somebody I can get behind. There's a difference between something's potential and it's execution.

Secondly, respectfully, no, the ninjas aren't all based on the elements. Sure, Scorpion has a few fire attacks, but he hasn't always, and his power comes from being a spectre from Hell, not from literally having fire powers, but still, you may have a point. You might have a point with smoke too. But what about Ermac? Reptile? Is Ermac's element 'souls'? Is Reptile's acid? Or how about Mileena, Kitana, Jade, Cyrax, or Sektor? If you want more elemental ninjas in your Mortal Kombat, that's your prerogative. I personally prefer a bit more variety.

Gameplay wise:

Character wise

i hated that they made kabal, stryker's cop buddy.. it just doesnt suit at all..
i saw him as being more of a outworld desert nomad kinda dude..

That's just a simple opinion. Just because there are characters you don't like, doesn't mean there's no potential. I didn't like Smoke or Rain before MK9, and the game totally sold me on them. The developers clearly saw potential in these characters to begin with, or they wouldn't have put them in. I'm not talking about who you like or dislike. It'd be easy for me to say "I never want to see Mavado in another Mortal Kombat game again" just because I dislike the character, but who knows, maybe the next time they do him they'll pull off somebody I can get behind. There's a difference between something's potential and it's execution.

Secondly, respectfully, no, the ninjas aren't all based on the elements. Sure, Scorpion has a few fire attacks, but he hasn't always, and his power comes from being a spectre from Hell, not from literally having fire powers, but still, you may have a point. You might have a point with smoke too. But what about Ermac? Reptile? Is Ermac's element 'souls'? Is Reptile's acid? Or how about Mileena, Kitana, Jade, Cyrax, or Sektor? If you want more elemental ninjas in your Mortal Kombat, that's your prerogative. I personally prefer a bit more variety.

When i talked about ninjas I meant males, the females are kunoichis and the cyborgs are cyborgs, about elements, I call "elemental" to every character that use some kind of substance/power that is not the default colorful energy or a weapon as main power. I know its sounds retarded but is how I separate the chars, just to explain in an easier way what type of char I like the most, if you think "elemental" is not an accurate definition, then a better one is "manipulators", characters that manipulates X thing.

Sub-Zero: Ice
Rain: Water
Reptile: Acid
Noob: Shadow
Smoke: Smoke
Scorpion: Fire

Ermac: Telekinesis (this is not so convincing as a "substance")

Other "elementals" or manipulators would be Raiden, Liu Kang, Fujin, etc, etc.

Besides I never said "Elementals are the best chars", I just said that they are my favourites.

PS - Scorpion is not fully a "manipulator" but he become more and more through time, now in this game he has many fire moves.
Specials: Demon Fire, teleport (he has flames when tp)
Enhanceds: Hellfire, Flame teleport (fire uppercut), Flame spear.
Strings: Fire punch (111), Fire flipkick (F214)

Last edited:
underrated is by far Stryker i remember in the arcades always picking him and the people would get all mad and say he has a gun that bs of course he has a gun he a ****ing cop

IMO the most overrated characters are Kung Lao and Scorpion they are sooo overplayed online. One of the most underrated is Noob, I think because of the fact that a lot of people who use him spam.

Last edited:
Overrated: Reptile (Scorpion of high-level play), Scorpion (overused, so now he's just a nuisance) , and Kung Lao (URGHH)

Underrated: Skarlet, Jade, and Stryker

Overrated: Scorpion

Underrated: Stryker

Gameplay wise

Overrated: Kung Lao

Underrated: Still stryker

Kung Lao isn't overrated tier wise when everyone puts him in either A+ tier or S tier and says he's the best character in the game. If everyone is constantly proving that Lao is the best character in the game, how does that make him overrated?

i hated that they made kabal, stryker's cop buddy.. it just doesnt suit at all..
i saw him as being more of a outworld desert nomad kinda dude..

Kabal was never from Outworld. Ex-Black Dragon, who got his face burned in the invasion. That's how it's been from day one. In fact, he wouldn't have ever even been to Outworld until Deception.

His MKA outfit was an insult to him. Although his MKA alternate was BADASS

LOL, so LOL

Stryker.png

Wow, that's so cool. NRS made some cool concepts for MK9 but they dropped them.
The first one from the second row is awesome. (green soldier)
SKMBT_C22011050403010.jpg

damn, all of those would have been kickass.reminds me of jax' alt. Too bad Stryker's alt in mk9 looks like a plastic GI Joe