Capoeira in Mortal Kombat??

No man, Kai and capoeira dont mix well at all, just because he can do a handstand. Kai is more like a Shaolin monk, with training in various asian Martial Arts, I would like Kai to use a combination of various arts along with his Gurkha Knife.

No man, Kai and capoeira dont mix well at all, just because he can do a handstand. Kai is more like a Shaolin monk, with training in various asian Martial Arts, I would like Kai to use a combination of various arts along with his Gurkha Knife.

I know right.lol I might have thought about that because of the handstand. His quote in MK wiki is "I don’t know, wander the Earth, search for my soul…" that could explain capoeira...It can used for a new character (or Kai if they find a solid explanation)...BTW why would a monk be African and do handstand?

No video game gets it right? I have to disagree with that as I think Brad Wong in DOA gets Zui Quan (drunken fist) right. Eddy gordo and Christine Capoeira in Tekken are also pretty realistic.

Namco did use Mestre Marcelo, a bonafie capoeira mestre to motion capture during the production of their game. According to an interview, Marcelo admitted to only demonstrating 20% of his art and pointed out how Namco took some creative liberties.

Last edited:
Reply from Rigo Cortes and Carlos Pesina about Capoeira in MK:

Rigo: @CarlosPesina Los! Our friend @krazyhugo had a question about Capoeira and if it's technically feasible in the engine
Carlos: @NinjaBoy66 it is but was excluded in a few of the games for design reasons.

What is interesting is that it was considered for "a few games"... Let's hope they make it work in the next game.

From a technical POV, is capoeira fighting style possible with MK9 engine?
Sure (finishers would be hard to create, though)! But if the fighting style did not entered MK's realm after "that" Van Damme movie about it, then I suppose it is not fit for MK...
Do you mind sharing with us the major complains about Eddy and Christine in Tekken?
People complain about them being mashers. And that's it.
I wonder why Hector Sanchez who is Brazilian never pushed to make it happen.
Just by name, I'd say he is not brazilian. Are you sure about that?
People seem so obsessed with returning characters, that they havent stopped to think that:

"Hey, why doesnt NRS just create a NEW character that uses Capoeira???"
(Random Thought, not serious): It would be really funny if they made Terrafaux a real character, that used Capoeira.
What is interesting is that it was considered for "a few games"... Let's hope they make it work in the next game.
Hm...mildly interesting...

Last edited:
Just by name, I'd say he is not brazilian. Are you sure about that?

Well, he is always talking about Brazil on his tweeter. He speaks Portuguese and supports the Brazilian National football (soccer for loosers) team. His name does not really sound Portuguese (rather Spanish) but maybe his mum is from there..

A capoeira fighter in MK would be interesting. I would like to see a new female character brought and have her do capoeira.