Host Advantage?

David_Dare

There have been times online when it seems my opponent doesn't suffer from lag while I do. Sometimes they even seem a step ahead. I understand that sometimes players may be successfully predicting my next move, but there are times when it seems more than just that. Am I the only one experiencing this?

It reminds me of when I'd play FPS's and the host would have a significant advantage over everyone else.

Everyone suffers the same lag. If you join someone with a poor connection then the game will be a lag-fest for both players.

More experienced players just learned to deal with the lag and adjusted to it. Like if you can't land that 20 hit combo cause of a 0.5s latency then maybe shorten the hits some. If your opponent is well adjusted to the lag by round 2 and you haven't you will get destroyed

The lag depends on the connection of both players not just the host. But I feel ya here, so many ppl online with 56K modems in the lobby going "OMG THESE SERVERS SUCK!!!11"

Now I have a question, is it unsporting to call these players out on their Morse code internet connections? I mean, if I'm playing all night without an ounce of lag, then someone joins with a crap connection and lags everyone he plays, is it whining to call him out on it? We've had rooms setup that are lag free the whole night and it seems we always get that one guy using can-string-can internet joining and the room goes to hell after that. I wish there was a way to boot these fools.

Now I have a question, is it unsporting to call these players out on their Morse code internet connections? I mean, if I'm playing all night without an ounce of lag, then someone joins with a crap connection and lags everyone he plays, is it whining to call him out on it? We've had rooms setup that are lag free the whole night and it seems we always get that one guy using can-string-can internet joining and the room goes to hell after that. I wish there was a way to boot these fools.

I think it's deserved whining at least. Very frustrating.

I see where you're comming from. I recently made a switch to a new ISP so hardly any lag issues on my end. I usually play terribly when there's any lag at all.

Before I upgraded, and lagged a bunch, the opponent would most definately be one step ahead of me. About one second noticable difference seen in other games as well.