MK9 is good and all, but anyone else been craving to play the older games?

will definitely try the kollection out but uhh.. in terms of gameplay, mk9 is the best mk of all times, so it's mostly for nostalgia reasons. I hope the next mk games are even better than mk9, the new game can be the foundation of many more great mk games to come. plus, they can always give us nostalgia feelings via the DLC with all the palette swap costumes and so on.

I will always love the old games. They have a special place in my heart <3.

But MK9 is my favorite game minus the online play.

My thoughts exactly. MK9 is by far the best Mortal Kombat and my favorite, but MKII and UMK3 will always be special to me. I definitely plan on buying the Arcade Collection and giving it some good time during my study breaks this coming semester lol.

call me a graphics whore

but i can't go back to playing the old mk games

too ugly

I don't have that problem with really old school games like MKII but once it hits the PS1-era that's when I start having issues. Went back and played the original Metal Gear Solid a few months ago and the graphics were painfully dated. I beat the game and all, but it was a bit weird at times.

Dude, MK9 and MK3 have the same characters except that MK9 doesnt have Cyber Smoke but has Kenshi, Skarlet, Kratos and Cyber Sub-Zero, what "character choice variation" do you talk about? MK9 has more chars than UMK3.

I think he meant that MK9 has superior character variety when compared to MKI, MKII, and UMK3 lol.

mmmhh.. yeah, miss the old mk's. But i will not buy an arcade-kollection, i have those thing for ps2 (mk deception bonus discs, mk armageddon bonus, and shaolin monks mk2). And even if a new kollection comes with an online feature, we get the bad experience of the online mk9 netcode that was pretty terrible (at least the first days, now is a bit more stable, but still laggy and with many desyncs or desconnections)

mk1-mk3 were amazing games and still are, but with todays technology they lack...even by todays standards of brutal violence in movies/games they are show age and look tame...but they're old games that are as classic to me as mario so they get a pass

so with that said on my 60" HDTV....playing MK2 looked hideous...i think the main selling point for me is the trophy support..i have no desire for online play or really to even play them on my TV...i play them where they belong..on my psp go on a small screen where they look the best

Dude, MK9 and MK3 have the same characters except that MK9 doesnt have Cyber Smoke but has Kenshi, Skarlet, Kratos and Cyber Sub-Zero, what "character choice variation" do you talk about? MK9 has more chars than UMK3.

Not sure what your angle is here, you say they have the same characters, but also that MK9 has more?? I'm not disagreeing, I just don't understand what you mean.

As others have said, I meant the actual gameplay variety of the characters is greater, the old MK characters were identical in everything except specials, now they actually stand out more as different fighters with more variety in their moves. For its day the roster on UMK3 was pretty amazing, but as so many were just palatte swaps it felt smaller than a roster of similar size today.

I got my old MK games, but I prefer MK9 above them all. Im probably not going to buy this Arcade Kollection unless it is the HD Arcade Kollection and we already know it is not so I have no need to buy it.

MK2 and KILLER INSTINCT best arcade games of all time.

I agree with you 100% man. Kinda hated how they scaled down the KI graphics for the console version tho, not to mention the Spinal nerf, but non the less I agree

I have zero interest in this. I enjoyed the MK games when they were new, but when I think back about it, that was mainly due to the fact that the shock factor was still relevant at the time. If you strip away the blood and gore, the old MK games really aren't very good as fighting games. The just don't hold up the same as something like Street Fighter II and III...which actually had gameplay.

I have zero interest in this. I enjoyed the MK games when they were new, but when I think back about it, that was mainly due to the fact that the shock factor was still relevant at the time. If you strip away the blood and gore, the old MK games really aren't very good as fighting games. The just don't hold up the same as something like Street Fighter II and III...which actually had gameplay.

I see what you mean with MK1, but MKII and UMK3 had great gameplay.

MKII was a lot like chess IMO.
And UMK3 has a very sexy combo system.

I see what you mean with MK1, but MKII and UMK3 had great gameplay.

MKII was a lot like chess IMO.
And UMK3 has a very sexy combo system.

Well granted, I haven't played any of them in quite a while. I just remember abusing the hell out of Kabal in MK3 and frustrating many folks in the arcade. As for MK2, I liked it but didn't think it had enough to set apart the fighters aside from their specials.

MK9 in my opinion is the best, probably my best game ever. Its easy to get into and layered for the pros.
Ive done everything you can do apart from master all characters and im still playing it religously 3-4 hours a day.
UMK3 was the best one, but i thought i had a problem with cyber smoke online, little did i know what was going to happen in this one

MK1 doesn't really hold up to be honest. Not to (keep) sounding like the Old Man of the Forum here, but back in 1992 something like MK1 was just mind blowing. The only frame of reference anyone had for fighting games was SFII which was kind of cartoony, and here comes this game with digitized graphics of real people, and blood, and HOLY CRAP DID HE JUST RIP THAT GUY'S SPINE OFF! Playing MK1 now is like watching a horror movie from the 1950s, it's not going to have the same effect since so many more shocking things have come along since.

MK2 is still a classic game, and MK3 marked a turning point where a lot of the characters added are still a big part of the MK universe.

Personally I've been playing the hell out of MK4 recently, and I hope at some point it gets a PSN/XBL release. It never really got a good console release (PC version was good but PC gamers generally don't play fighting games), and I think that's why MK4 isn't looked back too fondly by many people.

However, 007 Johnny Cage will always rule.

MK1 doesn't really hold up to be honest. Not to (keep) sounding like the Old Man of the Forum here, but back in 1992 something like MK1 was just mind blowing. The only frame of reference anyone had for fighting games was SFII which was kind of cartoony, and here comes this game with digitized graphics of real people, and blood, and HOLY CRAP DID HE JUST RIP THAT GUY'S SPINE OFF! Playing MK1 now is like watching a horror movie from the 1950s, it's not going to have the same effect since so many more shocking things have come along since.

Heh, I know what you mean. I'm turning 28 next week...I played the original in arcades. Really the main attraction to MK1 was that there was nothing like it. People didn't even recognize that it was a fairly bad fighting game because they were too obsessed over learning how to perform Fatalities and gawking at the blood during matches. It had that shock factor that no other game at the time had...the original Grand Theft Auto kinda had the same thing.

i think the older games are just as fun, but the damn fatalities are hard to perform.

thats probably the reason why i prefer mk9 to any other mk game