Challenge 300 is Still Broken

TerryMasters

I thought I'd post this since I'm probably one of the few people actually trying to beat challenge 300 again so late in the game.

When MK9 first came out, I broke my ass beating challenge 300 just like everyone else. It was bugged, and a pain to complete without a problem. As of today I've only done it on the 360. Well I finally tried to do it on the PS3 too and to my surprise, after all these patches it's still just as broken as it was before.

It's super aggravating. Having to do it twice in the first place is hard enough. But there are two game-breaking problems with challenge 300 that really need to be fixed:

1. Disappearing Health Regeneration - Contrary to popular belief, you're supposed to have health regen after beating each opponent. You have it the first time you try challenge 300, then it mysteriously disappears either never to be seen again or in incredibly small increments which, no matter what way you look at it, confirms something's wrong. Yes there is a way to get it back, but nobody wants to jump through the hoops of picking restart ten to twenty times over and over again. That's each time you need health regen, so if you mess up be prepared to sit there like a doofus for 5 minutes.

and...

2. Invisible Power Ups - This is when a power up either carries over from the last round or goes into effect at the start of one that does NOT display anywhere on the screen. This puts you in a really bad way when you get to Mileena and think you can block, only to have her destroy you because Blocking Disabled was in effect and you couldn't know it. I can't even begin to tell you how many times this cost me the challenge.

Between these two bugs and the damn negative edge that refuses to let me uppercut someone after a spear regardless of whether I use a pad or stick, challenge 300 is near impossible to beat without exploiting something when it really shouldn't be. I think they finally did patch Johnny Cage's X-Ray glitch, meaning if you were to level the playing fields you'd have to delete your game data and even that's debatably going to help. I want to say the invisible power up is the worst offender of the two, because even with flawless victories on the two four-arms it constantly throws me off at the start of Mileena which is conveniently where you need it the most. I mean it's literally gambling with whether or not you can be offensive or defend, I'm going to keep at it for now but it's practically relying on luck at this point.

Personally I never like to open my mouth without bringing something to the table. So if I had to wager a guess as to why the power up problem happens I'd have to say it has something to do with the way the round changes? Goro and Kintaro are essentially an endurance round, but Mileena and Shao Kahn have full fledged intros and the power ups could be getting lost in translation. I can only look so far into that though, for obvious reasons.

I'm an open minded guy, and if the reason they haven't fixed this is because they were too busy fixing multiplayer then I totally understand. But it's good to get the information out there. I definitely needed to vent a little bit too. This is damn frustrating.

I actually finished the tower few days ago (challenge tower is boooring so I took my time), and I beat 300 with Nightwolf pretty easily, Mileena is the one that is really a pain in the ass. No life regeneration though - was it supposed to happen? Btw, I gain life with Nightwolf because I do absorb all the time, but I am sure my life does not regenerates after beating a character.

I think I can still do the parry glitch so...
But this topic: I cant beat it either, very bugged and not possible, I had to skip it, LAST ONE I NEED =_=

If it weren't for my irrational desire to acquire the trophy, I would have not bothered with challenge tower. I beat it, but it was a pain in the ass. Debuffs definitely carry over to the next round, but it seems only one is in effect at a time (correct me if I'm wrong). Disabled blocking is probably the worst of the bunch, and something you want to wait to wear off when you finish off Kintaro. I don't recall getting health regeneration.

I just tried doing it again today, and I cannot waste my time on this anymore. I really can't. I look over at the clock and see how long I've been at it only to realize it's just not worth it.

My two main guys are Scorpion and Ermac. 58% combo's left and right - easy as pie. Flawless victories on both Goro and Kintaro are surprisingly easier. But even using other characters (Raiden, Sheeva, Kratos) all it takes to lose challenge 300 is one screw up, and as much as these bugs contribute to the overall brokenness of the problem it's the negative edge that always manages to cause that one screw up.

Scorpion's spear into an immediate down then punch for an uppercut? Standing punch comes out.
Ermac's teleport into an immediate down then punch for an uppercut? Standing punch comes out.

I mean, does the game not see me holding down for 5 seconds before hitting another button? How does it miss that? I seriously cannot take the negative edge in this game anymore. The above works 100% of the time with the exception of "whenever it feels like it", which is virtually guaranteed to happen at least once per round. It doesn't even bother me online but this challenge 300 nonsense is beyond ridiculous. Fool me once, etc.

That's your input messin you up not that the challenge is broken. I beat it the week psn went down. It was hard yes but impossible no. Negative edge can be a problem if you don't understand it. Yea scorps spear comes out after 111 but that's if your mashin 111 111 and you accidently press b. So train your self to not mash only press what's needed. 11bb1 or 11 11 11 11bb1. Stop mashing. I had that problem but when I started learnin repltile. I had to force my self to actually press what's needed.

The health only comes after you lose 5 times. Then every 5 times you lose the health regenration gets bigger

That's your input messin you up not that the challenge is broken. I beat it the week psn went down. It was hard yes but impossible no. Negative edge can be a problem if you don't understand it. Yea scorps spear comes out after 111 but that's if your mashin 111 111 and you accidently press b. So train your self to not mash only press what's needed. 11bb1 or 11 11 11 11bb1. Stop mashing. I had that problem but when I started learnin repltile. I had to force my self to actually press what's needed.

The health only comes after you lose 5 times. Then every 5 times you lose the health regenration gets bigger

I never said it was impossible, I said it was near impossible which makes it pretty pointless to complete thanks to the collective problems. My input is not messing me up since it happens on both a pad and a stick, you can't really mash a stick and the challenge is absolutely broken regardless of negative edge.

I think it's moreso the consumption of time itself that's frustrating. "Oh great, I get to sit here for ten minutes doing two flawless victories on Goro and Kintaro again, yay me."

1. Disappearing Health Regeneration - Contrary to popular belief, you're supposed to have health regen after beating each opponent. You have it the first time you try challenge 300, then it mysteriously disappears either never to be seen again or in incredibly small increments which, no matter what way you look at it, confirms something's wrong. Yes there is a way to get it back, but nobody wants to jump through the hoops of picking restart ten to twenty times over and over again. That's each time you need health regen, so if you mess up be prepared to sit there like a doofus for 5 minutes.

Where did you get your information that it's supposed to be there from the start. i thought it was only as an aid if you keep failing.

Where did you get your information that it's supposed to be there from the start. i thought it was only as an aid if you keep failing.

It only happens when you first play it unless you do the retry trick. I didn't film it myself unfortunately but I can confirm it happens the first time you play challenge 300 on both the 360 and PS3. It then goes MIA.

It could also be that health regen isn't supposed to be enabled in the first attempt, where the actual bug would be having it that one time when you shouldn't. But all things considered I find it unlikely.

Edit- Completely forgetting that I used someone I never play as to beat it the first time (Johnny Cage), I gave it one last shot with him and wouldn't you know it, completed the challenge. Mileena and Shao Kahn were literally interchanging punch and kick combos applying pressure. Who'da thunk it?

Last edited:
It only happens when you first play it unless you do the retry trick. I didn't film it myself unfortunately but I can confirm it happens the first time you play challenge 300 on both the 360 and PS3. It then goes MIA.

It could also be that health regen isn't supposed to be enabled in the first attempt, where the actual bug would be having it that one time when you shouldn't. But all things considered I find it unlikely.

Edit- Completely forgetting that I used someone I never play as to beat it the first time (Johnny Cage), I gave it one last shot with him and wouldn't you know it, completed the challenge. Mileena and Shao Kahn were literally interchanging punch and kick combos applying pressure. Who'da thunk it?

Omg I swaer. It happens more if you lose more. To help you get through it. Try it. After 5 times it'll give you health

Your reasoms for 300 to be broken are all because you can't adapt. If you know power ups aregoing to carry on wait for them to be over I'm sooo tired of people complaining about this. Its stupid and if its near impossible how coming everyone I know has beatin? Ughhh

Saying it's "broken" is basically admitting your inability to adjust to the challenge. I beat the challenge a few weeks back only being hit 2x. As "cheap" as the characters in the challenge are, they are also extremely predictable. I'll readily admit that I'm not a great MK player by competitive player standards, but it's a game, like any other, most of the challenge is to figure it out.

The last challenge was pretty easy once you see how predicatable and repetitive Goro and Kintaro are. Mileena and Shao Kahn were not hard at all!!

Mileena can be tough, but you prolly could have beaten it in half the time it took to write all these posts about it lol. A lot of people beat challenge tower day one or in the first week. Obviously its not truly broken.

Congrats on finishing it up though, but keep in mind if everyone could get the achievements would there be any fun in getting them? There has to be some challenge.

ha the tower is so boring i skiped the last 30 or so challenges just to get to the 300th one, so me it was pretty easy and i used sonya and actually got caught by goros or/and kintaros x ray and still won. it did take me about 5 - 8 tries though
and i dont even know any combos above 30% besides an x ray combo

I have finished challenge 300 about 20 times, with about 7-8 different characters. Its because I play challenge 300 when I'm bored instead of arcade ladder, because I find the arcade ladder too easy, even on expert. I'm not trying to brag or anything, I'm being honest, and I'm sure a lot of other people find arcade ladder easy as well.

I agree with u on the powerups carrying over and are invisible, this part IS broken. They should either reset powerups at the start of the next round, or AT LEAST have the powerup icon still there so u know u can't block yet. Goro/kintaro are easy after learning them, I almost always get flawless against both. Mileena is by far the hardest out of the 4, because of her ridiculous speed, and she spams like anything, but still beatable. Shao Kahn isn't as hard as mileena, BUT HERE IS THE MOST ANNOYING PART. If u get a powerup right before the end of mileeenas match (blocking disabled, power decrease, etc) , it's stuck with you THE WHOLE ROUND AGAINST SHAO KAHN!! It doesn't go away. Luck has a lot to do with it. Especially the power decrease... You'll see ur usual 35-40% combos are doing 9% damage instead, which will make it VERY difficult lol.

About the health regen, I think it is supposed to be how it is. As in, its not meant to regenerate at the end of each round, but after retrying 5 times, they make it easier for you and activate the health regen. If I lose 4 times in a row, I usually exit and redo the challenge, cause i dont want the health regen, because personally I like to challenge myself (which is the reason I do challenge 300 instead of ladder).

End rant

Coming into the 300th challenge, I expected it to be super hard from everything I heard about it. I died a few times trying to beat it, but it honestly didn't take me long at all to beat. I used Noob and did it fairly easily whereas there are like 5 other challenges I still need to go back and do that I skipped because I just couldn't beat them. The 300th is not the hardest IMO.