Official Anime Discussion

Re: What Are Some Of Your Favorite Animes!?

Itachi? Who dat?

Itachi_Uchiha_by_SsilvermoonfoxX.png

Sasuke's brother

I remember Outlaw Star, it used to be on Toonami when that was around

I never watched much of it at all, though, I'd really like to 'cause I heard it was pretty good

Same thing for Ruroni Kenshin

#1 reason Outlaw Star was badass? Twilight Suzuka.

/thread.

Well I should add this anime to my list
Now should I watch the sub or dub verison?

I don't really watch anime that much. I used to watch Bleach, but it kind of started not being very good after the first season. I have every season of Dragonball Z uncut, since it was something I watched as a kid, and I still love Fullmetal Alchemist. Great show is great.

I don't really watch anime that much. I used to watch Bleach, but it kind of started not being very good after the first season. I have every season of Dragonball Z uncut, since it was something I watched as a kid, and I still love Fullmetal Alchemist. Great show is great.

Hell yeah! Fullmetal Alchemist is awesome :D.
If your looking for other cool animes then look up some of the animes these guys watch

The more I watch of Moribito, the more I like it. It's refreshing for a more seinen feeling anime to have a protagonist that's A) not a teenager, and B) a woman (and a damn clever one at that). I feel I can relate to Balsa more than the Stereotypical Teenage Boy Wonderkid(TM).

On another note...I wonder if they're ever going to make more Trinity Blood. The manga isn't finished, if I remember right. For that matter, FuniMation needs to get cracking on dubbing seasons 3 & 4 of D.Gray~man. :/

I use to rock the Twilight Suzuka Avatar.

She was the strongest member of the Outlaw Star Crew. Her only battle lost being Gene Starwind, which is only because she is extremely modest/Full of Pride to the point she'd rather die than fight half naked.

You could argue she lost to Lei Long, but that's only because she ate Aisha's cooking.

Shows you how powerful she is when the artists/directors have to make her SICK in order to lose a fight.

I wonder when the first episode of the second season of High School of the Dead will happen. I want mah anime!

Hey i finished watching Cowboy Bebop and the movie, it was awesome. My only complaint about the series is its too short i liked each character and i want more :/
Anyway now i started Full Metal alchemist, after i finish this then i will watch FMA brotherhood :D

Oh, if anyone here hasn't heard of Toonami Aftermath, the internet TV stream, you should go watch it if you like classic animation. Their lineup is GOLDEN. http://www.toonamiaftermath.com/#

I was not aware of Toonami Aftermath, thanks for bringing it up. Anyways, I'm going to watch Lupin III and Ranma 1/2 (heard about it but never got a chance to watch it) now that I don't have work today.

Last edited:

Hey i finished watching Cowboy Bebop and the movie, it was awesome. My only complaint about the series is its too short i liked each character and i want more :/

This is my complaint about 'modern' anime these days though...except the opposite end of it. They never end. How many seasons has Naruto been on for? Or Bleach? Or One Piece, or even series I like such as D.Gray~man has four seasons. Four seasons, when I saw an older show like Rurouni Kenshin, felt like an eternity. It seems nobody these days can write a decent, self-contained story with only 26 episodes to accomplish the task. It's kind of sick. Especially since in these shows....nothing ever seems to happen.

Well, here's a show I'd like there was more of:

I just finished Moribito the other night, and I have to say, I highly recommend it. It's not for a lot of people, since I'm personally convinced most people don't have decent attention spans, and shows like this almost never fare well here. But if you want an interesting, setting and culture-rich story that draws on some very Miyazaki-esque mythology, watch Moribito. It's a little bit Princess Mononoke meets Rurouni Kenshin. It reminds me a lot of another show I liked a lot a few years ago, The Twelve Kingdoms. It's a shame that Moribito won't get a continuation (the anime follows just the 1st book, the entire saga spans 11 books), and that the English translation of the books was abandoned after book 2. :/

My New List of Anime are:
Naruto
Dragonball
Shaman King
Death Note
Cowboy Bebop
Yu-Gi-Oh
Inuyasha
Pokemon
Bleach
Sailor Moon
Tenchi Muyo
Full Metal Alchemist
Full Metal Panic Fumoffu
Strawberry 100% / Ichigo 100%
Ikki Tousen

I'm with you on length of anime Freyith.

I prefer them to END. in a decent time span.

If they wish to continue something, They need to wait a long time to let people "miss" it.

For instance, Outlaw star was short and sweet, but they could continue it, as the Kei pirates are not dead, they still have guys Stronger than Hazanko. But since it's literally been like 11 years since Outlaw Star was released. A second season coming now would be HYPE.

Now if outlaw star has been doing episodes since I was 15 and still running them back to back like DBZ and Naruto or Bleach. I would've grown tired of it by now. As it means there is a formula they are using where the "kei pirates" have seemingly endless "head top guys" then you could move on to a different division of pirates to be the main bad guys. It would get stale quick.

I could probably stomach a show like Bleach/Naruto. If they spaced out the releases in a large time frame. Like I liked Naruto alot when I was watching the first like 25 episodes or so. But They gave me "too" much Naruto. they should've starved me on it a bit then released some more.

It's the same marketing strategy Food companies use.

Ever notice Taco Bell for example will have some "new" limited time dish. They cycle through? They bring them back after a long period of time to starve you on your cravings for it.

Crunch wrap, was one of my favorite choices on that cycle. They now made it a permanent choice on their menu... I have not bought it as often as I use to when it was in "cycle" now it's once in a blue moon.

The same marketing strategy works for Anime IMO.

The only one I really watched was Sailor Moon, I used to love that show.
Sailor Mars was epic <3

For me, the structure of the story and how it's handled than the length itself.

The second Lupin III TV series (the one that was aired on Adult Swim), for instance totaled over 150 episodes within its 3-year run. However, each episode is more less has a stand-alone story. It is easier to get into because I am able to watch isolated episodes without really missing a whole lot. Since they never drag on with multiple episodes, it is easier to create new more episodes without taking a toll on the audience patience.

Story arcs (which seems to be more common in anime) often require more investment on the audience's part to get anything out of it. There is little room to jump around between episodes, which would only lead to confusion. Unless more can be done to build the plot and character development, it's better that that it will come to a conclusion. I also would like to add, pacing makes the difference between success and a disaster. Dragon Ball Z drove me nuts because Toei stretched battles over several episodes without going anywhere. Had they condensed the series into fewer episodes and not waste a whole lot of time with the battle sequences and often needless banter, it would have been much more tolerable.

Last edited:

For me, the structure of the story and how it's handled than the length itself.

The second Lupin III TV series (the one that was aired on Adult Swim), for instance totaled over 150 episodes within its 3-year run. However, each episode is more less has a stand-alone story. It is easier to get into because I am able to watch isolated episodes without really missing a whole lot. Since they never drag on with multiple episodes, it is easier to create new more episodes without taking a toll on the audience patience.

Story arcs (which seems to be more common in anime) often require more investment on the audience's part to get anything out of it. There is little room to jump around between episodes, which would only lead to confusion. Unless more can be done to build the plot and character development, it's better that that it will come to a conclusion. I also would like to add, pacing makes the difference between success and a disaster. Dragon Ball Z drove me nuts because Toei stretched battles over several episodes without going anywhere. Had they condensed the series into fewer episodes and not waste a whole lot of time with the battle sequences and often needless banter, it would have been much more tolerable.

We don't really mean the "length" itself either.

It's just "lengthy" ones show a trend of staleness and repeat strategies for entertainment.

Short ones are usually not delivering staleness as there isn't much room for repeats, As 25-30 episodes is a decent time span to have just a long story with good character development.

I guess that's one reason why I love DBZ so much, is because of all the cliffhanger episodes and I love cliffhangers for some reason