What character do you dislike the most?

Similar not the same.

her design is better even.

And just like Jedi's similarly wear robes,

But not all their robes are exactly the same.

Cyromancers probably wear V shaped blue stuff.

and I admitted that those were the only 2 real similarities. The design, and the gauntlets, the hair, the mask are different.

once again I said the only similar things are the V-shape thingy, and the Blue.

Minus the arm pads, the whole outfit is the same.
She even has the same front flap on her costume as Sub-Zero.
It's an unoriginal identical copy-cat costume.

Minus the arm pads, the whole outfit is the same.
She even has the same front flap on her costume as Sub-Zero.
It's an unoriginal identical copy-cat costume.

Hair?
the fact that subzero there is wearing tights for the black under clothing, and she's wearing leather?

The designs on the V thing are completely different.
Her mask is like a clip on mask where as subzero generally has the whole mask covering his hair as well, unless he's maskless which is just him and his face.

I'm not denying it's similar but it's not the exact same thing.

bi-han and Kuai Lang's subzero costumes were similar, but they are not the same.I prefer Bi-hans look over Kuai langs. So I always choose costume 2. If you're gonna call her a complete copy, I guess Kuai lang is just a complete copy of bi-han. But why is it that I prefer to be Bi-han in MK9?

It's because the designs aren't exactly the same. I prefer one over the other.

I actually though... like Kuai Lang's shredder looking costume lol. I thought that was boss.

I agree with you as far as Kuai Liang and Bi-Han's costumes in MK9.
I always use costume 2 as well.
Bi-Han and Kuai-Liang's costumes in MK9 as DRASTICALLY different, though.

Kuai Liang and Frosts costumes look identical to me.
Sure, Frost has melting hair and boobs, but the costume is identical.

TBH, the 3 of them in MK9 were unnecessary.
MK9 would have been fine with just Noob Saibot and Sub-Zero.
Cyber Sub-Zero is a wasted space on the roster that could have been used for Rain instead.
MK9 would have felt incomplete without Rain as DLC.
Nah

Cyber Sub-Zero was a part of the actual story, Rain wasn't

Not saying that Rain shouldn't have been on the roster from the start because I love Rain and personally think he should have been in from the start

But he wasn't unnecessary

Nah

Cyber Sub-Zero was a part of the actual story, Rain wasn't

Not saying that Rain shouldn't have been on the roster from the start because I love Rain and personally think he should have been in from the start

But he wasn't unnecessary

He should have been part of the story, IMO, especially considering that MK9 was a big MK1 thru UMK3 nostalgia-fest.

Rain was part of the UMK3 era, whether people debate that the consoles or the arcade are what NRS was truly aiming at is up for debate.
That f***** was on my Sega Genesis in 1995, when the game was still in the srcades, so to me it counts.
I would have gladly traded Rain for Cyber Sub-Zero any day, especially considering that he's one of my MK9 mains.

I'm grateful that he's in MK9, but it sucks that I had to pay extra to add Rain to an incomplete UMK3 roster.

Frost was a Sub-Zero copy-cat character back in the day because she used the same Sub-Zero moves and had the same Sub-Zero costume back in the day.

The ONLY reason I accepted Kuai-Liang as a Sub-Zero, after all these years, was because;

1) No one knew that Bi-Han was Noob Saibot until MK: Deception
and
2) In the OG timeline, without Kuai-Liang taking up the moniker of his older brother, there would be NO Sub-Zero.

In MK9 we have Sub-Zero, Noob Saibot and Cyber-Sub-Zero.
Assuming that the 3 of them will be back for MK10, we don't need a 4th Sub-Zero type ninja for MK10.

TBH, the 3 of them in MK9 were unnecessary.
MK9 would have been fine with just Noob Saibot and Sub-Zero.
Cyber Sub-Zero is a wasted space on the roster that could have been used for Rain instead.
MK9 would have felt incomplete without Rain as DLC.

Cyber Sub-Zero could have been an alternate costume for Sub-Zero, much like the human forms of Sektor and Cyrax were for those 2 characters, but other than that, I agree that it was a complete waste of a roster space. I hope CSZ gets the Hsu Hao treatment going forward. I'd rather have the Henry Rollins Look-a-like version anyway!

Last edited:
If CSZ should have been a costume then the same should be said with Reptile, hell even Smoke and Noob as well

Sub-Zero, Noob Saibot and Cyber Sub-Zero are impossible to compare. They play completely differently.

Who the hell cares if they're on the same roster? Its a god damned fighting game. It isn't like they walk around at the same time in story mode. Seriously its like people complaining about Dry Bowser and Bowser being playable in Mario Kart.

Not to mention the fact that the reason why Sub-Zero was turned into Cyber Sub-Zero was because of the ALTERNATE timeline.

Smoke never became a cyborg, therefore Sub took his place. Just like every other storyline that has someone changing something in the past. Different consequences.

But my most disliked character would be Baraka. Don't get me wrong, he's one of my favorites of all time, but in MK9 they made Baraka into a punching bag and I don't play well with him. It was a big disappointment to me.

I think that this thread should be moved to the MK general discussion board instead of the MK 2011 board, since the vast majority of the characters that people dislike weren't even in MK 2011.

If CSZ should have been a costume then the same should be said with Reptile, hell even Smoke and Noob as well

How so?
Who would reptile have been an alternate for, except for..... Reptile?

Noob and Smoke are 2 different characters, and Midway should have NEVER combined them.
That was dumb as hell.
If you want Noob and Smoke in MK9, just use the alternate color on Noob Saibot's klassic costume. :laugh:

Not to mention the fact that the reason why Sub-Zero was turned into Cyber Sub-Zero was because Raiden was a pansy b****.
Fixed. 8)

HamatoYoshi said:
Smoke never became a cyborg, therefore Sub took his place.
^^^
This is just stupid reasoning on NRS part.
"Smoke gets saved so let's turn Sub-Zero into a robot."
How does that make any sense?

Why couldn't the Lin Kuei just have failed at getting the job done, or have Cyrax and Sektor still hunting them down?
Why couldn't they BOTH just have been saved?
Why did one HAVE to become cyborg?
There's already 2 cyborgs in the UMK3 timeline, and they're called Cyrax and Sektor.
We didn't need a 3rd cyborg.

^^^
This is just stupid reasoning on NRS part.
"Smoke gets saved so let's turn Sub-Zero into a robot."
How does that make any sense?

Why couldn't the Lin Kuei just have failed at getting the job done, or have Cyrax and Sektor still hunting them down?
Why couldn't they BOTH just have been saved?
Why did one HAVE to become cyborg?
There's already 2 cyborgs in the UMK3 timeline, and they're called Cyrax and Sektor.
We didn't need a 3rd cyborg.

agree, just because you want to make smoke get saved, doesn't mean subzero has to be captured.

The only way that makes sense is if, the Team that attacked smoke, instead went and attacked subzero. leading to an overwhelming number of lin kuei for subzero to handle.

But Raiden clearly beat the hell out of those guys capturing smoke. So it would then have to make sense that if Smoke had been captured.... Subzero would still "also" be captured. Because I mean why would they "not show up" at the tourney to get subzero. Just because they got smoke?

like "Eh.. one guy is good enough, lets go home boys"

agree, just because you want to make smoke get saved, doesn't mean subzero has to be captured.

The only way that makes sense is if, the Team that attacked smoke, instead went and attacked subzero. leading to an overwhelming number of lin kuei for subzero to handle.

But Raiden clearly beat the hell out of those guys capturing smoke. So it would then have to make sense that if Smoke had been captured.... Subzero would still "also" be captured. Because I mean why would they "not show up" at the tourney to get subzero. Just because they got smoke?

like "Eh.. one guy is good enough, lets go home boys"

True.

I just think it was sloppy writing to have Raiden pasny out when it came to Sub-Zero.
Do you really think that Liu Kang, Kung Lao and Smoke couldn't have joined together and helped him out, especially considering that he was Smoke's best friend???

I know Raiden couldn't because he's a god and must be "challenged directly" in order to compete, but the other 3 warriors who were fine couldn't help???

Said this before and I'll say it again

Raiden didn't save Sub-Zero because he didn't feel the need to save him

Why else do you think he protested against Liu Kang and Kung Lao going off to save Kitana?

Because there was no real need to save her, same goes for Sub-Zero; not saving them wouldn't have meant the end of the realms as we know them

It's not that he doesn't care for them, it's just that as a protector god, he has more important priorities (like saving Earthrealm and participating in Mortal Kombat tournaments)

So he isn't a pansy, he isn't stupid, hang all that shit up

The only thing "stupid" he really did was put all his manpower into shocking Liu Kang at the end of the story

True.

I just think it was sloppy writing to have Raiden pasny out when it came to Sub-Zero.
Do you really think that Liu Kang, Kung Lao and Smoke couldn't have joined together and helped him out, especially considering that he was Smoke's best friend???

I know Raiden couldn't because he's a god and must be "challenged directly" in order to compete, but the other 3 warriors who were fine couldn't help???

This is actually what made me lose respect for the Raiden character. Sub-Zero's character getting altered was bad enough, but Raiden was up there as far as favorite characters getting altered as well.

Raiden literally saw Sub-Zero bowing to him in his visions. He knew that Sub-Zero was an ally and if he bows to him then obviously he was willing to do anything asked of Raiden. That could be a huge help to Raiden. How did he know that "he" must win didn't refer to Sub-Zero at the time? He just ignored all of that and let Sub-Zero die though. It shouldn't have been any problem for him to say hey liu, johnny, kung lao go stop those guys now. Sub-Zero could be very valuable to us. Nope though. He just thought you know what I'll let him die. It was just stupid. Also it didn't do much for Smoke either. In the old timeline Sub-Zero and Smoke fought together to try and escape with Smoke just falling short and getting taken. Sub-Zero didn't even get that luxury. Smoke just watched Sub-Zero get taken.

I agree with you though araknyd the team of Liu, Johnny, Kung Lao, Smoke, and Raiden should have easily been able to handle that situation. I just call poor writing there. I think it was merely the fact that the didn't have so many "obvious" changes that they needed this one to really solidify the "look we changed something" that this game was going for. That's why I was in a panic before release because Swapping Smoke out for Sub-Zero was the most obvious change that they could make and I kept telling myself they wouldn't do that, but nope I was wrong.

Said this before and I'll say it again

Raiden didn't save Sub-Zero because he didn't feel the need to save him

Why else do you think he protested against Liu Kang and Kung Lao going off to save Kitana?

Because there was no real need to save her, same goes for Sub-Zero; not saving them wouldn't have meant the end of the realms as we know them

It's not that he doesn't care for them, it's just that as a protector god, he has more important priorities (like saving Earthrealm and participating in Mortal Kombat tournaments)

So he isn't a pansy, he isn't stupid, hang all that shit up

The only thing "stupid" he really did was put all his manpower into shocking Liu Kang at the end of the story

He did pansy out, and so did Smoke, just standing there watching his best friend get taken and doing nothing about it.
He was too worried about "ruining someone else's life" as Johnny Cage said, rather than helping out those that could help his cause.
It wasn't until Sub-Zero was a cyborg that the lightbulb went off in Raiden's head that he should have helped Sub-Zero.

NRS made Raiden seem a fool and a klutz that can't control his electricity in MK9.

Couldn't have said it better:

Raiden literally saw Sub-Zero bowing to him in his visions. He knew that Sub-Zero was an ally and if he bows to him then obviously he was willing to do anything asked of Raiden. That could be a huge help to Raiden. How did he know that "he" must win didn't refer to Sub-Zero at the time? He just ignored all of that and let Sub-Zero die though. It shouldn't have been any problem for him to say hey liu, johnny, kung lao go stop those guys now. Sub-Zero could be very valuable to us. Nope though. He just thought you know what I'll let him die. It was just stupid. Also it didn't do much for Smoke either. In the old timeline Sub-Zero and Smoke fought together to try and escape with Smoke just falling short and getting taken. Sub-Zero didn't even get that luxury. Smoke just watched Sub-Zero get taken.

I agree with you though araknyd the team of Liu, Johnny, Kung Lao, Smoke, and Raiden should have easily been able to handle that situation. I just call poor writing there. I think it was merely the fact that the didn't have so many "obvious" changes that they needed this one to really solidify the "look we changed something" that this game was going for. That's why I was in a panic before release because Swapping Smoke out for Sub-Zero was the most obvious change that they could make and I kept telling myself they wouldn't do that, but nope I was wrong.

Um, Smoke actually tried to save him, but Raiden prevented him from doing so

And "ruining someone's life"? More like trying to prevent destruction of the realms

Y'all really gotta start seeing things from Raiden's perspective; he had his reasons for stopping Smoke and not saving Sub-Zero

If he were "pansying out" (which is stupid since Raiden is far more powerful than a bunch of Lin Kuei cyborgs, and could have taken care of them easily if he actually wanted to), then he would have let Smoke go after them while he just sat back and watched them

So I'm pretty sure that him allowing Sub-Zero to be captured was intentional

Preventing Smoke from getting captured was a vision that Raiden had, and since his visions were related to stopping Armageddon, that was of higher priority

You might say "Ooooh, well, just because he had to save Smoke doesn't mean that Sub-Zero had to be captured"

But him getting captured along Raiden preventing Johnny Cage's death was NRS' way of proving a point (I think there was another one, too), that interfering with the timeline could have adverse effects

So it's very possible that he didn't want to make a rash decision and **** things up even more

Not saying that I particularly like how things happened, but it is what it is (which isn't Raiden being a pussy as people like to think happened)

There are worse offenses on NRS' part, anyway, such as Kung Lao's death, and how nobody, whether it be Raiden or anything else, warned him about Kahn sneaking up on him

And the reason why he didn't think Sub-Zero was the one was because for one, Kuai Liang wasn't even in the 1st tournament, and all of the events of the tournament led up to him concluding that Liu Kang was the one, so why would he think about anyone else? The evidence at the time that Liu Kang was the one was overwhelming, especially since he got a vision of him winning the tournament. If you want to go that route, then you might as well start questioning, "Well, why didn't he think Jax or Sonya was the chosen one?"

That is an extremely solid point Metal.

I did not think about Raiden wanting to protect smoke, so there wasn't a chance they could capture him.

Because he's not sure if smoke is a key toward armageddon or not. At that point raiden is thinking any change is probably better than no change.

Because he wants to stop it.

And if he believes/has a hunch smoke becoming a robot might contribute to armageddon. he'd rather not risk him being caputred.