Smoke's Smoke Cloud

latch360

I really haven't used him much, but I got Smoke on my top 10 best characters to whip some ace. But his smoke cloud hits low, but you can block it high. Unlike Jade's projectile when you throw it low it hits low and you have to block low. Question is, do you think that the smoke cloud is powerful enough or should have to be blocked low.?.

Smoke Cloud isn't a low hit, it's a high hit. Visually it looks like it's a low hit, but as far as the game mechanic it's just a high hit. I think it's fine how it is. If it was a low hit then it would be EXTREMELY OVERPOWERED! The projectile itself is really fast, you can spam them quickly, easily do them in combos, etc.

Last edited:
give a 5 second cd between its use and ill say let it hit low.

right now the thing can be used very fast, and many smoke players will spam it from range to force the person to dashblock whiel they build meter with it.

def doesnt need to be low since it sets you up for combos.

A question that could've easily been posted in the Smoke thread :p

Otherwise, as one of the longest Smoke players on these forums I have to disagree with the suggestion of Smoke Cloud hitting Low. It would be slightly unfair, not to mention I'd have to deal with tons of complainers in my PS Inbox xD

I'd prefer if it did a tiny amount of chip, because I can toss out 20 Smoke Clouds and they won't hurt you one bit ):

So Low hitting? No. Chip? Yes.

A question that could've easily been posted in the Smoke thread :p

Otherwise, as one of the longest Smoke players on these forums I have to disagree with the suggestion of Smoke Cloud hitting Low. It would be slightly unfair, not to mention I'd have to deal with tons of complainers in my PS Inbox xD

I'd prefer if it did a tiny amount of chip, because I can toss out 20 Smoke Clouds and they won't hurt you one bit ):

So Low hitting? No. Chip? Yes.

I would like it to be one of two ways:

1. High hit, 1% damage chip on block, same Rate of Fire as we have currently.

2. Low hit, 0% damage chip on block, much slower RoF. About the same RoF as Kabal's groundsaw.

id be almost hesitant for the chip considering how fast it can be thrown out. maybe if i can roll/jump away from it on wakeup instead of having to block, i dont know if i can already because as youve said it does no chip damage so ive had no reason to do anything but block! lol

but i wouldnt be overly powerful or anything.

how about leaving it as is but change so you can jump it off knockdown that way its actually balanced instead of of being lame

how about leaving it as is but change so you can jump it off knockdown that way its actually balanced instead of of being lame

i think since it does no chip damage atm its not really that lame. now if it did chip damage, and everything else stayed the same, i think it is then pushing into lame territory, would it get there? i dunno, but it would definitly be pushing lmao

I don't agree with it not doing chip because it's 'fast'. So what? All it takes is one dash and the damn thing misses.

one lucky/correctly timed dash to be more precise. its not like i can just spam dash and come out fine unless im really lucky.

most projectiles that do chip dont net you a combo is why im saying it, in that regard i compare it to subs iceball.

fast, prevents anything but blocking on wakeup, builds meter, if lands nets a combo. its a damn good move right now, im not sure if the chip is needed.

now keep in mind im not gonna be irrate if it got chip damage, im just letting my opinion be known.

chip or not allow me to ****ing jump it from knockdown, if i jump subz ice ball and hes close3 enough i get a jump in starter, but this is not the case with smokes lame mechanics... a guy who has a projectile parry and the fastest punishing teleport

I admit id like to be able to jump after knockdown but I also think its a fair mechanic for smoke. You can't rush lao/sub zero for example. Noob if he knocks u down with running man u HAVE to block the next one. So I don't think its unfair for smoke to have it I guess. 1% chip would probably be fine considering he has like no low game.

I say leave it how it is. I hate that they can build meter that way too. That's the ONE thing I don't like about overusing projectiles.

EDIT: I love it when they use it like 4 times in one standing and it still doesn't work.

I say leave it how it is. I hate that they can build meter that way too. That's the ONE thing I don't like about overusing projectiles.

EDIT: I love it when they use it like 4 times in one standing and it still doesn't work.

So you dislike one of the intended mechanics of the game? The smokecloud spam is a legitimite tactic as it keeps pressure on the opponent. If they slip up smoke gets a combo. Prevents wakeup games from range. And builds meter. The real question is what idiot WOULDN'T use it?

So you dislike one of the intended mechanics of the game? The smokecloud spam is a legitimite tactic as it keeps pressure on the opponent. If they slip up smoke gets a combo. Prevents wakeup games from range. And builds meter. The real question is what idiot WOULDN'T use it?

Because I'm sure 50% of scrubby smoke players do not realize it builds meter and are trying for an easy combo just like Scorpion users and Subby users.
I still don't like that it builds meter.

Because I'm sure 50% of scrubby smoke players do not realize it builds meter and are trying for an easy combo just like Scorpion users and Subby users.
I still don't like that it builds meter.

What's the problem with it building meter? It does zero chip damage, can be blocked high, and doesn't track a number of moves such as Sub-Zero's Slide and Raiden's Torpedo. Taking away Smoke Bomb's meter building capabilities would alter a fundamental special property for a move that is by no means unbalanced. I get that it could be annoying to block four or five of them high while waiting for your opening and you hit them with a combo only to notice that those Smoke Bombs they tossed built them enough meter to break your combo, but it is a relatively balanced move as I see it. It's got a number of possible work arounds. Maybe I'm misreading your comment though lol.

What's the problem with it building meter? It does zero chip damage, can be blocked high, and doesn't track a number of moves such as Sub-Zero's Slide and Raiden's Torpedo. Taking away Smoke Bomb's meter building capabilities would alter a fundamental special property for a move that is by no means unbalanced. I get that it could be annoying to block four or five of them high while waiting for your opening and you hit them with a combo only to notice that those Smoke Bombs they tossed built them enough meter to break your combo, but it is a relatively balanced move as I see it. It's got a number of possible work arounds. Maybe I'm misreading your comment though lol.

I'm speaking of all projectiles in the game. lol just a personal preference. I think it promotes overusing some projectiles.

I'm speaking of all projectiles in the game. lol just a personal preference. I think it promotes overusing some projectiles.

True enough, but the number of counters to projectiles (teleports, dash blocking, projectile counters such as Shake and Reflect) promote moderation. Rock-paper-scissors. I understand your preference, just debating. =)