Is there a respectable tier list anywhere?

I'm JUST sayin'

Google isn't much help.

I'm gonna say Kung and Raiden are the top two, but, I'd like to know if anyone's made a reasonable tier list.

I'd say it's too early for any truly accurate tier lists. Guys like Tom Brady and Reo have given what they felt was a reasonable tier list, but for the most part it's just too early. There's a lot of stuff that hasn't been figured out about any number of characters I'm sure. A lot of people think that certain characters (Jade and Sindel) are rather seriously underrated and maybe once some time passes we'll see them shift around in the tiers. Initial balancing tweaks are still being settled on as well. I think most tier lists now are a bit underdeveloped but will probably start getting better in the near future.

If you're interested, here's the tier lists that Tom Brady and Reo posted about a month ago.

id say kung/raiden are high tier yes.

so would csz, sz, maybe kano still, JC with his armor on some of his specials now, reptile...maybe noob with his blackhole buffs.

there is a lot more, but i can only comment on ones ive played/dealt with regularly enough.

Well, here's my tier list, in case anyone cared to know.

Top Tier
Kung Lao
Raiden
Ermac
Reptile
Kano
Nightwolf
Cyrax
Jade

High-Mid Tier
Cyber Sub-Zero
Mileena
Kitana
Kabal
Johnny Cage
Liu Kang
Skarlet

Mid Tier
Sub-Zero
Sonya
Smoke
Sindel
Sektor
Shang Tsung
Quan Chi
Stryker
Noob

Low-Mid Tier
Scorpion
Jax
Baraka
Sheeva

Last edited:
again with the god tier? oh and look only one char in it, even tho its been repeatedly nerfed.

really lao isnt that hard anymore people. just dont rush him constantly and you wont eat so many spin counters.

kung lao is high tier, he isnt god tier, no char in mk9 atm is god tier.

tho to be more constructive (i know i was ranting i apologize) id say cyrax isnt high tier, csz is high tier, id consider mileena/skarlett mid tier, sub zero high tier, noob mid/high tier, and scorpion id say is mid even tho everyone knows his moves cuz hes so overplayed.

This is my opinion as well of course, tho i STRONGLY think sub zero is high tier not mid, i dont think there is much for debate on that specific char.

again with the god tier? oh and look only one char in it, even tho its been repeatedly nerfed.

really lao isnt that hard anymore people. just dont rush him constantly and you wont eat so many spin counters.

kung lao is high tier, he isnt god tier, no char in mk9 atm is god tier.

tho to be more constructive (i know i was ranting i apologize) id say cyrax isnt high tier, csz is high tier, id consider mileena/skarlett mid tier, sub zero high tier, noob mid/high tier, and scorpion id say is mid even tho everyone knows his moves cuz hes so overplayed.

This is my opinion as well of course, tho i STRONGLY think sub zero is high tier not mid, i dont think there is much for debate on that specific char.
Only Kung Lao's ridiculous juggles, and combo damage have really been nerfed. He's still the most well-rounded character and has answers to any situation thrown at him.

Only Kung Lao's ridiculous juggles, and combo damage have really been nerfed. He's still the most well-rounded character and has answers to any situation thrown at him.

still, i consider god tier to be a step above. just because he has a answer for nearly any situation doesnt mean hes so good that hes "godly" a high tier sure.

also his pushback on spin was nerfed 90%, everyone and his mother can punish it now. god tier has its place for some grossly imbalanced games, but when you invoke the word god..all poweful, capable of extraordinary feats beyond that of anything seen or unseen, etc, etc, i dont think kung lao fits. definitly high tier tho :p

i just cant help but feel someone putting one char in god tier usually means the person has it out for said char. no offense! overall good tier list

Tiers are for queers Imo

Thanks for your constructive criticism. :top:

I posted this in another thread today and thought I'd bring it over here too. Anytime tier lists are mentioned, sooner or later a debate (though usually less civilized in form) breaks out. Some people are too close-minded on either side of the argument to actually have an open discussion but it's always nice to try. For what it's worth, here's my opinion on why tier lists are valuable tools:

tbh, idk why so many people bother with this tier thing.. I don't know for the rest but I'd never use a character just because he's considered to be objectively high tier. if you like the XYZ characters , pick those instead of worrying how to train for a high tier character you dislike. like that person , wong or something, he used Kung Lao who is considered to be high tier.. I wouldn't bother training to use Kung Lao though, I like him storywise but I don't like playing as him

I see your point but there are more potential uses for tier lists than just "tier whoring". The best tier lists are set up in match-up style grids. They tell you a quick outline of any character match-up, assuming all player skill to be equal. That alone is a nice, but it gets even better when a big group of people break the tier list down.

Example time! lol

For the sake of this post, let's assume the Ermac vs Sub-Zero match-up is 6-4 in Ermac's favor. For those unaware, this means that if both players are equal then Ermac will win six of the ten matches and Subby will take four. That alone is nice because it lets me as a Sub-Zero player know that Ermac is a match-up to watch out for. What helps me even further is when that tier list spawns a really good discussion. Then we break down that match-up and figure out why it might be in Ermac's favor. At mid-range, his Force Push can hit Sub-Zero in the recovery frames of his Ice Clone every time. That shatters the Clone, pushes me out of my comfortable range, and drops my health. I can't turtle at long-range because Ermac has a teleport and a solid projectile. If I don't pull off the trade perfectly then I get nothing long-range. Ermac can chip me out or Force Port in to shake me up. So on, so forth.

In my opinion, that is where the true value of tier lists lies.

Hrmmmm.... my tier list is a WIP
On Kenshi (I didn't see him anywhere), I would say he is a solid A tier or maybe A+, but probably A

There's a community Tier List in progress that you can even help contribute to. See the Official TRMK Tier Rankings Thread :)

It's stickied if you need trouble finding it.

Tiers are for queers Imo

that is not adding anything to the conversation & it is rude, please think about what your going to post before you post it.

on topic: I personally think Sonya is Mid-high tier, she is very fast & agile & her arc kick is very useul for jumping opponents.

Well, here's my tier list, in case anyone cared to know.

Top Tier
Kung Lao
Raiden
Ermac
Reptile
Kano
Nightwolf
Cyrax
Jade

You lost me when I saw you didnt put Sub-Zero as a Top tier.
Im not saying this because he's my main, is because he is a top one.

Also, if there is an accurate Tier List (or the most close to it), is Tom Brady's.

Tom Brady's Tier list
(between characters of the same Tier classification there's no particular order)

S tier:
raiden, shang, kano, nightwolf, cage, ermac, kung lao, cyber sub-zero, sub-zero

A+ tier:
cyrax, sindel, scorpion, liu kang, kitana, mileena, reptile, noob, sonya, kabal, skarlet

A tier:
jade, smoke, sektor, stryker

B tier:
jax

C tier:
quan chi, sheeva, baraka

Last edited:
I'd say Skarlet is A+ and Kenshi is A. Rain will probably be a solid A also. Kung Lao is God Tier.

no...hes really not..

i dont even play this guy (cant stand his aesthetics) and i know hes not nearly god tier.

if people would just play smart and not try and rush him constantly they wouldnt get eaten by a spin all the time. his divekicks are easily avoidable, the only hat toss thats remotely good is ground hat (tho ive had little trouble in avoiding it myself) and his tele isnt very fast.

hes top tier, but hes not god tier.

Skarlet is damn sure not S Tier. And yes I've played tourney-worthy Skarlets.

Kenshi, easy A. Decent mixup, dedicated special overhead, ridiculous zoning, and a snappy reflector.

Anyone dismissing Kenshi as anything less than Mid-VERY high or High Tier is just being defiant.

I think Skarlet is an A tier and Kenshi a S tier
Tom Brady said Kenshi is an S tier before he was realesed.

Also I dont agree with Brady putting Smoke as an A ter, he is definetly a A+ tier or even an S tier, but other than that, its the best tier list ATM.

skarlet i think might still have untapped potential, if not i could see her as low as B tier (with a and a+ being above)

as for kenshi i think hes a little less unsafe to use and more well rounded. a or a+ tier.

I think Skarlet is an A tier and Kenshi a S tier
Tom Brady said Kenshi is an S tier before he was realesed.

Also I dont agree with Brady putting Smoke as an A ter, he is definetly a A+ tier or even an S tier, but other than that, its the best tier list ATM.

I'm intrigued as to why you think Smoke is above A tier. A lot of people were really hyped on him when the game was released but it seems like most people have thought less and less of him. I fall along those lines as well. He lacks mix-ups, his Smoke Bomb is countered with dash-block, his teleport is fast but still very punishable, and his effectiveness really drops when he isn't able to run away properly. I've played a number of Smokes, some who were actually quite good, but none of them could beat me at close-range. Smoke's hard to chase down, but it's not impossible to close on him.