Super Smash Bros

I think someone else with more of an idea of what the fans want needs to be brought in alongside Sakurai. Is it possible that HAL Laboratory can ever come back and help with SSB4? Here's a few things SSB4 needs to have:

- A damn announcer (if there's one thing I really want back from Melee, it's the announcer! I hate that Brawl doesn't have an announcer, or at least one not nearly as good as the one Melee!)

- It needs to blow us away like the first 2 games (Brawl lacked innovation for the most part, and Sakurai did say he doesn't want SSB4 to be a mere extension of Brawl, so hopefully they surprise us with stuff we haven't even thought of!)

- More speed and complexity (most of the things that Melee lacked, such as wavedashing, L-cancelling, etc. MUST be brought back. There needs to be a better balance between attacking and defending. Also, it's gotta have that frantic pace that Melee had off the bat; Brawl felt too sluggish)

- A mix between Melee's Adventure Mode and Brawl's Subspace Emissary (Subspace Emissary had potential. But it also some of the most uninspired levels and enemy variety. There needs to be 4-Player Co-Op, and also like Melee, the enemies should actually relate to the level we're in. Like Goombas in Mario stages, the Pirahnas/Monkeys/etc. in Sonic stages, Octorooks/ReDeads in Zelda stages, etc. Keep the CG cutscenes and lack of dialogue from Brawl's Adventure Mode, I loved that about Subspace Emissary!)

- Much, much more balance between the OG characters and the new characters (this is an absolute MUST for me. Probably my biggest complaint about Brawl was the fact that the new characters like Meta Knight, Pit and Snake were gods, and characters like Samus, Captain Falcon, Pikachu, etc. got huge nerfs, therefore they became crap. In Melee, the new characters and veterans were equally awesome. In Brawl, the only veteran that I even used often was Luigi. This is 100% Sakurai's fault, since he balanced all of the characters in the game. Thankfully, he himself confirmed he isn't going to balance all of the characters like last time, so I think we'll all be pwning with Samus and Fox again. :cool:)

- DLC (this is a lot more dependent on Nintendo getting their shit together online-wise, but it is still something 4 needs. Can you imagine what DLC could do for this game? It would be an instant gold mine, as all of the DLC would be snatched up like hotcakes! I'd give away my entire collection of CoD games, 3D MK games on my GameCube and much more just to pay for Smash Bros. DLC. The possibilities are endless. Characters and content they couldn't finish in time for the game and didn't think of before they could work on them and put them into the game could be DLC. Classic 64 and Melee stages could be brought back as DLC. Brawl stages and more completely new stages could be DLC. Other goodies like Race to the Finish and Board the Platforms could be brought back as DLC, if they aren't already in the game. There's even more ideas than just those, too! In addition to a huge amount of content on-disc already, we get even more of the goodies via DLC! If everything else on my wishlist is fulfilled, they wouldn't have to make another Smash Bros. for a decade, as DLC would prolong and refresh the game in so many ways!)

- A better online system (again, this is more dependent on Nintendo; Brawl had some great ideas and great modes but was limited by the shallow online infrastructure for the Wii. Can you imagine stat tracking, DLC, playlists, a lot less lag, voice and party chat, unranked and ranked matches, etc. for SSB4?)

- A mix between 1st/2nd generations and 3rd/4th/5th Pokemon in the Pokeballs (am I the only that missed Entei, Suicune, Raikou, Scizor, Bellossom and Togepi from Melee? You know who would be awesome, too! Eevee! The deal with him is that he has a randomized evolution, so whether he evolved into Vaporeon, Espeon, Flareon, Umbreon, Glaceon, Jolteon, Leafeon would determine what he would do)

-2 different Final Smashes (there could be a regular Final Smash activated when you get an all-red Smash Ball, and an Uber Final Smash activated when you get a rainbow Smash Ball. An Uber Final Smash would be less likely to get, a little harder to break open, and the pay-off. You'd get a small cinematic scene for each one if you pulled them off! For example, Wario could retain his Wario Man Final Smash as a regular one, and then his Uber Final Smash could be the atomic fart he had in the SSBB trailer)

- Remove tripping! (one of the most useless things, if not the most useless, about Brawl is tripping. Take it out please!)

- More unique ways to unlock characters (I didn't like that in Brawl, you could unlock every character by just playing through Subspace Emissary. Remember when you could unlock Luigi in Melee by finishing the first level of Melee's Adventure Mode with a 2 in the seconds timer?)
- Bring back both the Coin Launcher and Lottery from Melee (I personally love both, this is just me, though)

- Bring back the Gallery background from Melee (again, more of a personal want, but I loved that Melee's Gallery was based on a child's room; you could clearly see an N64 with the original SSB cartridge in it, and there was a GameCube there, too! They should different Gallery backgrounds to choose from, including Melee's gallery background)

- Make The Desk from SSB64's intro a secret stage (it would epic if we could play on The Desk from SSB64's intro!)

- Bring back the Melee Points System! (I loved the points system from Melee! Much better than Brawl's, I like how they detailed what you got points for doing while playing)

If you have any more ideas, please share them!

Last edited:
I like most of your ideas, but I just didn't like the smash ball. Final Smashes really should have been acquired in another way, it's entirely too random and really not fun either. They need to balanced far better as well, they ranged from just ridiculous (Super Sonic, Diddy Kong, Dragon Yoshi) to absolutely useless (Peach, Meta Knight)

DLC could definitely make them a LOT of cash on a game like this.

I hope the stage editor returns in a better form, the Brawl one was cool, but was very limited, at least let us rotate/mirror etc.

I like most of your ideas, but I just didn't like the smash ball. Final Smashes really should have been acquired in another way, it's entirely too random and really not fun either. They need to balanced far better as well, they ranged from just ridiculous (Super Sonic, Diddy Kong, Dragon Yoshi) to absolutely useless (Peach, Meta Knight)

DLC could definitely make them a LOT of cash on a game like this.

I hope the stage editor returns in a better form, the Brawl one was cool, but was very limited, at least let us rotate/mirror etc.
I totally agree about Final Smashes. I doubt he'll ever introduce another way to get Final Smashes, though, so we'll just have to take what we can get. Common sense would've told the developers Falco, a bird character who is a pilot, should have had an Arwing as a Final Smash, not a Landmaster. I don't really mind Fox and Wolf having one, though. Didn't like Pit's and Zero Suit Samus' Final Smashes. Kirby didn't really impress me, either, mainly because his doesn't do very much damage.

The Stage Editor was nice but limited, I agree. I really think that SSB4 should focus on gameplay as much as putting in a lot of content, and then we'll have the best of both worlds.

Last edited:
I love brawl, and sometimes try to hard to defend it, but it is true, Its no where near as great as melee was.

I dont hate it because of the reasons tourneyfags hate it (wavedashing, and other shit like that)
the thing that bothers me about brawl is how unbalanced everything was. Characters like Samus and Link were unnecessarily nerfed and they went too far with it, they became too weak. While newcomers like Toon Link and Ike could easily be played by toddlers. There was no reason to play as normal link anymore because toon link was better than him in every way, which pisses me off because I dont want to play as Toon link, I like normal link, but they made him barely able to jump and so weak compared to toon link...I really ****ing hate toon link.

also Tripping, why would you put that in the game!? Pointless feature that no one likes. I'm assuming they put it in there for people who were loosing too hard and the guy kicking their ass would be at a disadvantage for a second. Power to the loosers? I call it bulshit

anyway, Brawl is still fun, but everything just seemed so half assed about it. It ended up seeming like more of a really good Expansion Pack to melee, instead of a worthy sequal. and thats why It didnt have such a huge impact on people as much as Melee.

I think the design philosophies for Nintendo's consoles correspond to the design philosophies of the SSB games. The N64 and GameCube had more hardcore appeal, and SSB64 and Melee did, too. The Wii was aimed towards casual/non-gamers and gimmicky, and Brawl had more casual appeal and useless gimmicks added on to the core gameplay. The Wii U is attempting to regain hardcore gamers while retaining its main audience to the Wii U, so I imagine SSB4 will have more hardcore appeal and depth like Melee, but keeping a lot of the party stuff like many of the items, content, and whatnot from Brawl.

Last edited:
The Wii U is attempting to regain hardcore gamers while retaining its main audience to the Wii U, so I imagine SSB4 will have more hardcore appeal and depth like Melee, but keeping a lot of the party stuff like many of the items, content, and whatnot from Brawl.

Wii U apealling to hardcore fans? MY Ass!:laugh:
you see that controller and and the gimicks?

I dont know how ssb4 will turn out, nintendo also hasn't put their characters to use ever since they starting making shitty party games. So there will hardly be any new Nintendo material to use in the next game. No new nintendo games = no new stuff in SSB4

Of course they could just have other stages/weapons/characters from older games, and I'll be fine too. I just hate the idea you have to use that stupid new controller in order to play the next smash bros game. I swear to god the next game better be gamecube controller compadable

I dont know how ssb4 will turn out, nintendo also hasn't put their characters to use ever since they starting making shitty party games. So there will hardly be any new Nintendo material to use in the next game. No new nintendo games = no new stuff in SSB4

Of course they could just have other stages/weapons/characters from older games, and I'll be fine too. I just hate the idea you have to use that stupid new controller in order to play the next smash bros game. I swear to god the next game better be gamecube controller compadable

and i hope it comes on 3DS!! im getting one on my birthday! :)

It has 4 USB ports, so it's possible. I sure hope we can still use them; GC/traditional controllers are synonymous with Smash Bros. If not, we still can use the Classic Controller. I'm reserving judgment on the controller until I actually get it.

I'm not saying that it will appeal to hardcore gamers, just that it will try to, which is a step in the right direction compared to the Wii. The first-party games are going to have the same mindset as Nintendo with its console, so I'm hoping it'll have the competitive edge that Melee did, or at least make it feel good to attack someone and knock them out of the stage unlike Brawl.

We probably won't ever the old Nintendo back, though (where's my new F-Zero and Star Fox games, Nintendo). I just hope Sakurai doesn't touch Fox and DK again. :(

I
Knuckles from the Sonic series would really fit the style of SSB. I'd say Tails but it'd be too hard to come up with a moveset for him, so maybe he could be an Assist Trophy and use his Walker from Sonic Adventure 2 as a weapon. Same thing for Dr. Robotnik (don't like Eggman as much).

Viewtiful Joe and Mega Man need to be added into SSB4, too. That'd be almost a perfect Smash experience.

I would love to see Mega Man and Knuckles as guest characters. Viewtiful Joe would be nice too. I heard that Mega Man was actually going to be included in Brawl, but they had to cut him out, for some reason.

I would love to see Mega Man and Knuckles as guest characters. Viewtiful Joe would be nice too. I heard that Mega Man was actually going to be included in Brawl, but they had to cut him out, for some reason.
We don't actually know if Mega Man was going to be in Brawl, but I definitely think they were considering him at one point.

Mewtwo and Dixie Kong's data were on Brawl's disc, too. I'm pretty sure both of them will be coming back for SSB4.

ZELDA ZELDA ZELDA ZELDA!!!!!!!!!!!! I would like it if there was a Mk vs SSB (super smash bros vs Mortal Kombat)

Here's who I think will be added into SSB4 and who will be brought back from Melee:

Little Mac- (Punch-Out!!!; he was rumored to be a planned character for Brawl)

Dixie Kong- (Donkey Kong; data is on disc; could easily come up with a moveset for her)

King K. Rool- (Donkey Kong; is to DK what Bowser is to Mario, being the main antagonist of DK)

Ridley- (Metroid; the series needs a second rep, especially with Star Fox, a less popular Nintendo series already having 3 reps; huge fan demand and they can easily resize him like they did for him in Melee's intro)

Isaac- (Golden Sun; he OOZES Smash Bros.; even Sakurai admitted it)

Mega Man- (Mega Man; probably the most requested 3rd party character; he was right up there with Sonic and Snake as Japan's most requested third-party characters)

Professor Layton- (Professor Layton; 3DS exclusive character)

Plusle and Minun- (Pokemon; Planned for Brawl as their data is on-disc, but cut due to time constraints presumably)

Mewtwo- (Pokemon; his data is on Brawl's disc; was actually nearly completed for Brawl; but he was cut due to time constraints; Sonic being a last-minute character probably was the catalyst; fan demand and popularity)

Roy- (Fire Emblem; he, like Mewtwo, was pretty built-up for Brawl as his data is on Brawl's disc, but cut due to time constraints; a lot of fan demand for his return; Sakurai actually likes this character a lot)

Tails- (Sonic; a 3rd party character getting a second rep seems somewhat odd, but who cares? Sonic without Tails is like Mario without Luigi.)

Victini- (Pokemon; 5th gen Pokemon rep; very popular and relevant, with its own movie being released; Fire/Psychic-type character.)

Last edited:
oh my god. i hope they keep Princess Zelda's Twilight Princess look, her Skyward Sword appearance is disgusting!!

Princess_Zelda_(Twilight_Princess).png

Princess_Zelda_%28Super_Smash_Bros._Brawl%29.png

Princess_Zelda_Artwork_%28Skyward_Sword%29.png

Princess_Zelda_%28Skyward_Sword%29.png

i am also going to predict that they will add Toon Zelda to the SSB4 roster alongside Toon Link.

Link_Zelda_SpirtTracks.jpg

I hath revived this thread as of now.

thats cool

if they ever do make a new smash bros game what should the title be? I was thinking Super Smash Bros Clash would be a good title.

And I kinda want it to go back to functioning a little more like Melee. Not exactly, but something that resembles Melee some more. and Yeah I'd like Mewtwo back but it aint gonna happen because pokemon is nintendo's money whoring franchise still, and they are gonna use the most popular new pokemon of the time the new game is released. Just like Mewtwo, I think Lucario will be replaced

and I agree goddess, zelda looks god-awful in skyward sword (along with everything else in that game)